Groupie
United States
Joined 5754 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 17
05 June 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Try listening to spoken Hebrew a lot, and you'll get used to the sound and be able to copy it yourself. As far as I can tell, it's pronounced from the back of the mouth/throat, and it's not distinctively an "r" sound as native English speakers know. Thinking that it's an "r" will only mess you up. I had an advantage because I found it similar to the French "r" and the Arabic "ghain." The former helped me get away from the thinking that "resh" is a version of "r." I've actually been complimented on my pronunciation of "resh" by my Hebrew teacher, so it is possible to get beyond the American "r" sound!
1 person has voted this message useful

mishels
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5728 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 10 of 17
06 June 2009 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
ego.penso wrote:
Anyhow, our ears are so used to foreign accents in Hebrew, that we find any foreign accent to be 100% intelligible.

I agree completely.
You will be understood instantly no matter which R you use.

laban
Triglot
Groupie
Israel
Joined 5767 days ago

87 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English, Italian
Studies: Norwegian, German

Message 11 of 17
06 June 2009 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
well, as one of my american friends once told me, the "resh" is the most difficult letter for him to pronounce, especially in words where there are several of them.

its kind of hard to explain how how make a sound without hearing it, and its also kind of hard for me to think of how its actually done, but i'll try to give you a few pointers that might help :

1. the tongue should go to the back of the mouth (as it is - don't try to play with it or anything just move it from its natural lying position a bit back), i think it might also covers and interfere the air/sound that's coming out.

2. the sound is actually "ree" when the stress is obviously on the "ee" part whereas the "r" is more silent. bear in mind that the sound comes from the throat so it will be a bit hard on you as an English speaker.

3. try practicing in front of a mirror, that helped my friend a lot, because most of the time you'll just place your tongue in wrong places - watching yourself and correcting these silly mistakes could save you some time, and health =).

that's it for now, i just can't think of any other good advice on this matter. i think that in the old nordic/scandinavian languages they used to pronounce the rolling R they use today, as a guttural R - similar to what we use.

btw, if you want, we could talk a bit so you could hear the sounds, if you don't have anyone else to practice with.

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5854 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 12 of 17
06 June 2009 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
laban wrote:
i think that in the old nordic/scandinavian languages they used to pronounce the rolling R they use today, as a guttural R - similar to what we use.

In many/some dialects we still do. I'm no expert on Hebrew but I would start off with an R exactly like mine if I needed to speak it, and it would probably be close. I haven't really heard that much spoken Hebrew but the Rs I was able to pick out were familiar sounds...

Liz

AML
United States
Joined 6770 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 17
24 December 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
I was searching for this same question online, and I came across this thread. In my same search I found this website, which helped me with the R.

I did not realize that the Hebrew R is the same as the French R. Although the video is a little exaggerated for teaching purposes, I can easily hear how they are the same. I've heard plenty of Hebrew speakers, and this French lady really does make the same sound as Israelis!

French learners of Hebrew are really lucky. :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 17
24 December 2012 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
It's probably therefore also that the speakers of Hebrew I knew were cited as speaking
Hebrew with a French accent...

From what I know, the R in Hebrew nowadays is uvular like the French one. Fortunately I
have that one in my arsenal.

MichaelM204351
Diglot
United States
Joined 5389 days ago

151 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 15 of 17
29 January 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
I just practiced in the shower until I mastered it... :op

Falkenstein
Triglot
Germany
Joined 3868 days ago

20 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Modern Hebrew
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 16 of 17
28 February 2014 at 12:13am | IP Logged 
I'm a German native speaker and I can definitely say that the Hebrew Resh is not like the German R. I may be slightly
fussy, but I'm studying Hebrew for two years now and I'm still not happy at all with my pronunciation of Resh (and
sometimes of Kaf). For me it's the hardest letter to pronounce authentically. When I use the German R it doesn't
sound terribly wrong (unlike the American R......) BUT I hear that it's not the same sound and so far I wasn't able to
produce native-like Reshs.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version