Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
22 February 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
dreiviertel zwei is 1:45.
What is the logic of having zwei in there rather than eins?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 5075 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 2 of 13
22 February 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
1:15 - viertel Zwei
1:30 - halb Zwei
1:45 - dreiviertel Zwei
2:00 - um Zwei

alternatively

1:15 - viertel nach Eins
1:30 - halb Zwei
1:45 - viertel vor Zwei
2:00 - um Zwei
2:15 - viertel nach Zwei

... and there are more regional variants. I personal use the second system, my parents use the first one.

To me, both systems are logical. The first bases telling time on the hour which has started and is in the process of being completed. The second is more centered around the full hour (viertel vor, viertel nach), which makes sense as well. A system based on the last completed hour (as in one fifteen, one thirty, one forty-five) would be logical as well, but I don't think it is used in German.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 13
22 February 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

Because it's 3/4 of 2 (1.75). The same goes for "halb zwei" (1.5), which is 1:30. BTW, there are regional differences when it comes to telling time.

If you don't like "dreiviertel zwei" you can also say "viertel vor zwei," if that makes more sense to you. :-)

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 4 of 13
22 February 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Gemuse wrote:

Because it's 3/4 of 2 (1.75). The same goes for "halb zwei" (1.5), which is 1:30. BTW,
there are regional
differences
when it comes to telling time.

If you don't like "dreiviertel zwei" you can also say "viertel vor zwei," if that makes
more sense to you. :-)

Oh yeah, I'll stick to viertel vor Zwei; its just that I (and other students) had
learned halb Zwei in class earlier, and we thought "subtract halb from Zwei", well
thats weird cuz subtraction is harder than addition. Today I read in another book
about the dreiviertel zwei construct, and I was like ?????? If I subtract dreiviertel
from Zwei I get 1:15 not 1:45.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 13
22 February 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
I actually thought the same when I moved to an area where people said that! I grew up with viertel nach, halb, viertel vor, and I always thought, *either* it should be that you start from the last full hour and add a viertel, halb, drieviertel, *or* you should start from the next full hour and subtract a dreiviertel, halb, viertel.

And, Doitsujin, you could say it's "3/4 of the last hour before 2" and reach 1:45, but that's so complicated. (And 3/4 *of* 2 is still 1.5, and that would be 1:30)
I mean when simply telling the time it may not make much of a difference, but when you are under durress and have to calculate 9:35 hours from 3:45 pm onwards ... more mistakes are made. Like more kids end up reversing the order of tens and ones in German than, for example, in English.

Edited by Bao on 22 February 2014 at 5:35pm

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 6 of 13
22 February 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
And, Doitsujin, you could say it's "3/4 of the last hour before 2" and reach 1:45, but that's so complicated. (And 3/4 *of* 2 is still 1.5, and that would be 1:30)

You are of course correct, what I should have written is 1 and 3/4 of an hour. As you might have guessed, IMHO, "drei viertel zwei" is a perfectly logical way of telling time. :-)

Bao wrote:
I mean when simply telling the time it may not make much of a difference, but when you are under durress and have to calculate 9:35 hours from 3:45 pm onwards ... more mistakes are made.

I usually simply spell out the minutes. E.g., 9:35 = neun Uhr fünf-und-dreißig.

Bao wrote:
Like more kids end up reversing the order of tens and ones in German than, for example, in English.

I haven't noticed this, but then again, I rarely ask children for the time. :-)

One a related note, German mathematician Lothar Gerritzen has suggested to count numbers as in English (and many other languages).

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 13
22 February 2014 at 6:06pm | IP Logged 
Drat, that was not elaborate enough, I meant that German children often reverse tens and ones in writing, not when telling time, just like what your link says. But telling time this way makes it harder to transfer that information into something you can calculate time with.

I actually say 'viertel nach/viertel vor' when I mean 'around that time, but closer to the quarter than the half/full hour' and say the exact time when that information is needed - if, for example, a bus leaves 9:25 and I want to meet up with my friend at 9:15, I want to be there at that time and I want them to be there at that time, so I might say: neun Uhr fünfzehn, and if I just want to meet up with them in maybe half an hour, I'd say viertel nach neun, and it would be perfectly alright of somebody arrived five or even ten minutes late.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 8 of 13
22 February 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

One a related note, German mathematician
Lothar Gerritzen has suggested to
count numbers as in English (and many other languages).

:D :D In class, I was called upon to write telephone numbers on the whiteboard in a
listening exercise. So when sechsundzwanzig drieundviertzig would be spoken, I would
write the digits as 6..2...3...4, in the right order by keeping on switching the
directions, left right, left right; I didnt want to tax my brain by keeping the sechs
and the drei in memory. Hear it, write it, forget it is my brains motto. The teacher
found it amusing.

On a related note (dont know if this is true):

http://www.itchyfeetcomic.com/2013/05/four-twenties-and-thir teen.html

Edited by Gemuse on 22 February 2014 at 6:54pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version