287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 9 of 17
25 February 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
drygramul wrote:
Medulin wrote:
Unfortunately, many people on RAI speak with a Roman accent
and not according to the Tuscan-based standard:

Fortunately, everyone outside Tuscany doesn't care too much about their personal taste in pronunciation.
Regional pronunciation are allowed, correct, and sound even more natural than dubbed movies.

In fact, this type of pronunciation is only taught at diction schools. It's not even spoken in Tuscany.

There's a standard Italian grammar and vocabulary and no standard pronunciation of Italian. I quote here:
Milano è quindi il luogo dove la pronuncia, ad alto livello socio-educativo e di formalità, è più vicina alla
norma standard, senza però raggiungerla del tutto. (Galli de' Paratesi)

I am from Milan area, our accent is quite similar, and being a native bilingual and having trained my ear in
at least 6 other languages, and achieved a high academic degree in Milan's Statale university, I can't hear
or pronounce the difference between open or closed vocals, and no Milanese will, except for diction
professionals.

Come on , every Italian should be able to tell apart sètte from sétte , perchè from perché , óra from òra . I
have no super power and i can clearly hear the difference . I agree , standard pronuciation is something
that very few people have , on the whole i think if you pick up an audiobook a national tv or radio
programm you should get to listen to something very close to the standard . Anyhow i would not worry
too much about opened and closed vowels , everyone will understand you without effort if you speak
clearly using decently grammar patterns
1 person has voted this message useful

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4413 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 10 of 17
25 February 2014 at 11:36am | IP Logged 
I understand the difference between an open and closed vocal, but we don't make difference in any of those words, we use the same sound, and that's the same for most of Italy (especially insular and northern Italy).

Why are you assuming that every Italian should be able to make those differences? Pronunciation of "standard Italian" is not taught at school, and for hundred of years this language was mostly written, not spoken. It's not an innate skill.
I quote:
Quote:
È evidente, per es., che l’italiano normativo, riferendosi tradizionalmente all’italiano di Firenze (per certi aspetti però emendato), differisce notevolmente, per quanto riguarda la descrizione della distinzione tra e od o aperte e chiuse, dall’italiano d’uso nella nazione, dove la distinzione può anche non sussistere o, se sussiste, avere distribuzione diversa. La constatazione, vista la frequenza di queste vocali, tocca subito un punto non da poco, in cui l’italiano comune non è unitario.

Treccani

Are you aware of any zone of Italy where that "standard pronunciation" is used? Because I am not. And there's no point for a non-native speaker in learning these differences anyway, if it's intonation and stress pattern will never be anything like l'italiano comune.
What I find most annoying with native speakers of Italian, is their ignorance of grammar and orthographic rules, which are indeed taught at school. I would focus more on those as an Italian or a foreigner.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4613 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 11 of 17
25 February 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
But the dictionary standard pronunciation of Italian exists, just like there is a dictionary standard pronunciation of British English. Many Italians think highly of BBC English yet they don't care about RAI Italian. But it is the same thing more or less. It's easier to teach foreigners BBC/Oxford dictionary English pronunciation than London, Manchester, Sheffield, Blackburn etc accents. It's easier to teach foreigners RAI / Garzanti dictionary Italian pronunciation than Roman, Florentine, Milanese, Torinese, Bolognese, Genovese etc accents of Italian.
In real life, foreign learners will end up with the accent of the city they live in. But many foreigners learn Italian (or British English) outside Italy (and UK respectively).

In English, the vowels in suck, sock, sack are all different,
even though [sak] may be suck in one accent (Australian), but sock in another accent (Chicagoan),
or sack in other accents (Western Canadian, Southeastern British) etc...Most Italians don't merge è and é,
ò and ó, even though the distribution of words having these stressed vowels may be different from the dictionary standard.

The luckiest learners will be those foreigners living around Siena or in Oxfordshire.

Edited by Medulin on 25 February 2014 at 12:38pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4333 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 

Message 12 of 17
25 February 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
drygramul wrote:

What I find most annoying with native speakers of Italian, is their ignorance of grammar and orthographic
rules, which are indeed taught at school. I would focus more on those as an Italian or a foreigner.

I totally agree on your last point .
I meant that everyone can hear the difference between an opened a closed vowel , this does not imply you
know what should be the standard "correct form ". Again i don t think there is a region where people
speak 100 percent standard , there are places ,though ,where they speak in a more standard way than in
others . As far as pure standard pronunciation is concerned , i think it has only to do with people like
actors ,newscasters etc , who have attended some sort of dictio school .

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4333 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 

Message 13 of 17
25 February 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I say for instance :
Perchè
Sétte
Dénte
As far as i know the standard should exactly be the opposite .

Edited by albysky on 25 February 2014 at 6:33pm

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4413 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 

Message 14 of 17
25 February 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
But the dictionary standard pronunciation of Italian exists, just like there is a dictionary standard pronunciation of British English. Many Italians think highly of BBC English yet they don't care about RAI Italian.

There's another issue here. Most modern dictionaries have plagiarized the pronunciation from previous other dictionaries (mostly dictionaries of Tuscanian from 1800), they have not received any update and still contain mistakes, as those mistakes were just copied without any actual original work or research.
We have a "standard" pronunciation because none really cared to verify if that's still up to date or even correct, and because we don't care about phonetics. The BBC has a standard pronunciation because they cared to build one.

Quote:

The luckiest learners will be those foreigners living around Siena or in Oxfordshire.

I can't speak for Oxfordshire, but for Siena is not the case, even if that's the impression everyone gets. Their gorgia alone makes their pronunciation even more substandard than Romano. That's what I'm trying to explain, there's no such thing as a standard pronunciation in Italy. It's just a stereotype.

And as far as I know, while you may actually make a good point (it would be easier to teach because somehow it's clearer), teachers who have studied diction are exceptional.

I read somewhere else that you gave up with Italian because of this. I'll tell you what, I would have done the same if such an useless effort would be expected from me. I am not making it easy for you, I am really annoyed by mistakes and even a poor language, but if I were you I would stick to a regional pronunciation (or a mix of two at most) that you like or find easy, and try again. I don't even have Italian ancestry, so no nationalism involved here.

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4413 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 

Message 15 of 17
25 February 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
I meant that everyone can hear the difference between an opened a closed vowel , this does not imply you know what should be the standard "correct form ".

For me is not such an easy task.
I can figure out that perché in my zone is [perˈkɛː] because I pay attention to the position of my tongue, but I can't hear distinctly the difference while pronouncing it, I feel like I'm 70% certain, never 100%. While speaking with other peoples it would be even harder, I would need to focus on a single word from time to time. There's not enough contrast for my ear.

I hear the contrast with other substandard pronunciations inside Lombardy, which are more marked (bergamasco).

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4613 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 17
25 February 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Romans are really annoyed when Southerners and Northeasterners (from Udine) fail to pronounce Roma as Róma (but use a more open kind of vowel).
Veneto is pronounced Vèneto in Veneto and in Central Italy, but Véneto but many Lombardians.
Còmo is standard pronunciation, while Cómo is the local variant.
People from Florence don't like to hear their city pronounced as Firénze (with the close vowel).
Etc.

Edited by Medulin on 25 February 2014 at 9:29pm

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version