1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 17
25 February 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
The luckiest learners will be those foreigners living around Siena or
in Oxfordshire.

As I live down the road from Oxford and had a good excuse to visit Sienna when my
daughter was studying there last year, then I'd have to agree. Mostly because of the
heritage and architecture. If I were to wander the streets of either as a language
learner bent on "correct" pronunciation, I think I'd be sorely disappointed.

In the streets of Oxford you can hear everything from the local accent (it's truly
amazing how many words don't have the letter T!) to plum-in-the-mouth posh. Plus, of
course, a bazillion tourists and (if it's the right season) a broad range of English
accents imported by thousands of students. Good luck sorting those out as a learner :-)

In Siena they speak Spanish :-) Well except for the car park attendant and the two
vigili I had occasion to chat with.

When my daughter was doing a short Italian language course in Venezia, the (local)
teacher claimed that in Toscana they had the best grammar but the best pronunciation
was to be found in .... go on: hazard a guess :-)

My dad on the other hand claims that the best Italian (both grammar and pronunciation)
was to be found in Sardegna.

Edited by dampingwire on 25 February 2014 at 10:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version