Groupie
United States
Joined 4400 days ago

55 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Greek, Latin, Ancient Greek
Studies: German, French, Russian

Message 1 of 3
03 March 2014 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Earlier today, I was using what little Russian I have to converse with an elderly Russian woman from church. I used
the word богородица and pronounced it as I thought it should be pronounced, with vowel reduction: buh-gah-
ROH-dyi-tsa. I was corrected, however, and told to say boh-goh-ROH-dyi-tsa, that is, not to reduce the first two
vowels (at least, I think that was her criticism).

So my questions are: 1) is this common or correct? and 2) do Russians say certain ecclesiastical terms without vowel
reduction because of the way that they are pronounced in Church Slavonic during services? If so, are there other
examples?
1 person has voted this message useful

Dragon27
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 4186 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 2 of 3
03 March 2014 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Church Slavonic doesn't have vowel reduction, like Russian does. Although, I think, some Russians may pronounce these words with reduction (casual conversation), it's considered as incorrect (at least, in more formal circumstances).
I'm not sure, I don't use them in my speech.

Edited by Dragon27 on 03 March 2014 at 7:42am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 3
03 March 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, if you speak to religious people, it might be better to follow these rules. Especially since you're a non-native and consciously reduce the vowels - if a native just naturally reduces them a bit, it may be less noticeable, though I imagine this woman would've corrected them too if she noticed. Also, I wouldn't say it needs to be a clear o - it's VERY hard to pronounce for Russians in an unstressed position. Just don't make it a clear obvious a. (If you ever visit Belarus, I'd say you can safely disregard it there - the reduction is more obvious over there and doesn't have a somewhat low prestige)

One more thing are the word-final consonants, btw. I can't think of a specific example but afaiu they should stay voiced. If these things are important to you, I think your best bet is to find some interviews/podcasts on the topic and imitate the speaker(s). For example, Андрей Кураев is well-versed in languages and history, but at the same time clearly speaks modern Russian and accepts the fact that languages change. (although I haven't checked now - maybe his speech would be deemed "too progressive" by the more conservative folks. rely on what you hear, not on what I say)

Edited by Serpent on 03 March 2014 at 1:18pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version