rlnv
United States
Joined 3896 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 4
27 March 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
I'm wondering if some native or experienced French speakers can help me understand the relative popularity of the various ways of formulating questions in French. I’m referring to the usage of est-ce que, rising intonation, or inversion in conversation.

I'm currently still working though methods and have only had limited exposure to the language outside of my methods. Long term I can gain knowledge of practical usage myself, but knowing now during my studies would be insightful and interesting. I'm noticing that various methods tend to favor one form or the other.

Are there regional preferences, say France versus Quebec, urban versus rural or even age related preferences? How about formal or informal, talking to a shopkeeper or someone you met on the train, how about a business contact?
1 person has voted this message useful

Pierre-Emmanuel
Diglot
Canada
learnicelandicnow.wo
Joined 3852 days ago

7 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 4
27 March 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
There are four ways to ask questions in Quebec:

* As-tu faim? / Ont-ils fait leurs devoirs?
* Est-ce que tu as faim? / Est-ce qu'ils ont fait leurs devoirs?
* Tu as (T'as) faim? / Ils ont (Y'ont) fait leurs devoirs?
* Tu as-tu (T'as-tu) faim? / Ils ont-tu (Y'ont-tu) fait leurs devoirs? (=>this is only
used in Quebec)

The two last structures are informal. I use them all the time when I speak with
friends, co-workers or random people I meet but I only use the first two structures
when I write.

I hope this helps!
5 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3896 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
27 March 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
Thank you for introducing me to the fourth usage for Québec. Would that also be common in other areas of Canada, New Brunswick or elsewhere? I hope to take a trip to Montréal later this year, and will listen for that.

1 person has voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5326 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 4 of 4
27 March 2014 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
Thank you for introducing me to the fourth usage for Québec. Would that also be common in other
areas of Canada, New Brunswick or elsewhere? I hope to take a trip to Montréal later this year, and will listen for
that.

Yes, everywhere in Canada.

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version