Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 12
29 March 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Gemuse wrote:

But I have been saying "Manch" as "Mansh". The problem is that the tongue at the "n"
is at the top, so "ch" become "sh". Need to figure out how to fix it.

In German, we usually don't use the tip of the tongue to pronounce the [n] but the flat
front of the tongue (the tip almost touches the inside of the teeth). In order to
pronounce the <ch> you only need to shift the pressure point farther back from there
while you are pronouncing the [n].
If you can't do that, position the tongue already for the <ch> before pronouncing the
<n>, ie. use a palatal n. In rapid speech, it shouldn't get noticed.

I have been having this problem with the ch sound as quoted above.

Today I realized, thanks to the German CD intensive course that I have the same issue
with "Welche" which I have been pronouncing as "Welshe".
Again, the "l" I say results in my touch touching the top of the mouth which then makes
ch as sh.

So any similar tricks here? Is it the case that whenever a ch is involved the
preceeding consonants are modified so that the tongue does not touch the roof of the
mouth?
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 12
29 March 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Today I realized, thanks to the German CD intensive course that I have the same issue with "Welche" which I have been pronouncing as "Welshe".
Again, the "l" I say results in my touch touching the top of the mouth which then makes
ch as sh.

It's quite possible that you also pronounce the German "l" incorrectly, if you pronounce it like most native US English speakers. In British English (RP) there are two ways to pronounce "l":

1. light l: e.g. lily
2. dark l: e.g. wall

However, most native US English speakers use the more velarized "dark l" pronunciation in both cases.
If that's the case, you'll also have to work on the correct pronunciation of the l.
As for "ch," it might help if you break up words such as "welche" into two syllables and pronounce each separately.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5544 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 12
29 March 2014 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
When I say "welch" [vɛlç], my tongue jumps from my upper alveolar ridge to my lower front teeth, when I transition from the [l] to the [ç]. When I say "welsch" [vɛlʃ], it stays up.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6030 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 4 of 12
31 March 2014 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
daegga makes a really good point. Germans produce a lot of the sounds from the back towards the middle of the mouth. I would not neglect practicing all the sounds because I think other sounds in combination with -ch- are what causes a lot of frustration for us Amis :)

[/IMG]

Record a native speaker saying
Weihnachten, Wächter, nichts, Töchter, Hochzeit, Bauch, Bücher, leicht, Besucher

and listen to ch in combination with the other Lauten/sounds.

listen to a native say
nach, hoch Bauch, Besuch

and then listen to
Töchter, Bücher, leicht

You can get away with using sch for these words and it won't get noticed. Similarly, you can probably get away with saying "neex" for "nichts" but make sure to use the short German "i" and not the elongated English "ee". That would sound weird :)

just my two cents ;)

Edited by Sunja on 31 March 2014 at 10:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 5 of 12
31 March 2014 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
[...] and then listen to
Töchter, Bücher, leicht

You can get away with using sch for these words and it won't get noticed.

You'll certainly be understood, but native speakers will notice if you use [ʃ] instead of [ç] in these words, unless [ʃ] is also used instead of [ç] in their regional dialect variety.

I'd advise German language learners against using [ʃ] instead of [ç] unless they cannot produce [ç] at all.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6030 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 6 of 12
31 March 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
I'd advise German language learners against using [ʃ] instead of [ç] unless they cannot produce [ç] at all.

First-year learners really have a hard time with it. I have an English couple who just moved to Germany and everything is completely new, not just -ch-, and while I do correct them, I'll tell them at the same time it's okay to cheat a little, especially since they have to speak German now. Their biggest problem is everyone they come in contact with speaks English to them. They're having a hard time practicing that -ch-! ^^

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 7 of 12
31 March 2014 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
Their biggest problem is everyone they come in contact with speaks English to them. They're having a hard time practicing that -ch-! ^^

There's a HTLAL thread about this topic: How to get Germans to speak German to you

IMHO, the easiest solution is to simply ask; if they're beyond the German equivalent of Tarzan speak, most Germans won't have problems speaking German with them.

If that doesn't work, they could resort to "guerrilla tactics" with people who don't know them (e.g., pretend not to understand English etc.).
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4466 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 8 of 12
31 March 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Hmm... when I try speaking with a dark l, I'm unable to pronounce the "ch" correctly,
but it comes out as a alveolo-palatal fricative, not as a "sch". To my ears, this sounds
still somewhat like a "ch", but with a Scandinavian accent.

One thing to notice is that most German speakers protrude their lips quite a lot when
making a "sch", but don't do that when making a "ch". Trying to consciously do this
might help to automatically make the right sound even in harder contexts. It's not a
necessity, I myself don't do this, but it might be worth a shot.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version