12 messages over 2 pages: 1
Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5544 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 9 of 12
31 March 2014 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
One thing to notice is that most German speakers protrude their lips quite a lot when making a "sch", but don't do that when making a "ch".

Quote:
In various languages, including English and French, it may have simultaneous lip rounding, i.e. [ʃʷ], although this is usually not transcribed.

In which languages is a "sch" spoken without rounding and / or protruding of the lips? As it seems, it is a feature of German, English and French. I thought this only important for vowels and have of course protruded in all languages known to me my lips, if they have a [ʃ].

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4466 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 12
01 April 2014 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
It's not a phonemic feature, it doesn't matter if you protrude the "sch" or not. I guess
you can't see much of a difference in the signal, except maybe a higher amplitude for
the protruded "sch" (not sure).
I don't protrude it in any language, but I do round my lips, ie. compressed rounding.
Protruding the "sch" in German is pretty common, no idea how it is in other languages.

But what I meant was using it as a cue. Be conscious about whether you protrude your
lips or not. Consciously not protruding/rounding them when pronouncing a "ch" might lead
to the right sound even in non-optimal context. Overdoing the protruding when uttering a
"sch" shouldn't influence the sound of it, but would make it easier to mentally
distinguish it from the "ch". Not sure if this can really help, it's just an idea...

Edited by daegga on 01 April 2014 at 12:56am

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 12
01 April 2014 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Saw this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=WbeY4RVi4WU

As he was going through the list, uptil Pech, I could hear the distinctive ch sound. But
for Küche, I kind of hear Küsche

Edited by Gemuse on 01 April 2014 at 2:40am

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6030 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 12
01 April 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
He's saying it slow enough that I can hear the -ch- clearly. Because of the way the mouth is formed for the Ü , cutting off that sound with CH might make it sound a little more in the direction of SCH but I would not analyse it as such.

The video is pretty good. I think saying each of the vowels in those words he has on the left and then "cutting off the sound" the way he illustrates is a good exercise for practicing that CH.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version