Diglot
United States
Joined 3840 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 3
30 March 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
I am going to purchase Hammer's German Grammar and Usage as I've heard it is the best
German Grammar book, but how does one use it to learn German Grammar? It seems so
complicated and intense for a way to learn grammar from almost scratch.

Edited by Mitchd42 on 30 March 2014 at 4:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3997 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 3
30 March 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Hello Mitch,

In reading your post, it is not clear to me whether you are well-advanced in your study of German or if you are just beginning. My comments presume the latter. Please forgive me if my assumption is wrong.

Recently, as part of my self-study programme to learn German that began a couple of years ago, I bought "Hammer's German Grammar and Usage." I had already purchased and worked through a fair amount of material: self-study methods, classroom methods, grammars, verb books, and graded readers. While I am sure that other independent learners have had experiences that differ from my own, I have found that most introductory language courses provide only minimal explanations of grammar. I have learned to accept this a generally a valid approach, particularly given the limitations of space. Unfortunately, at times, some of the explanations of grammar can be either so cursory or so poorly written that they can leave the independent learner bewildered; hence the need for comprehensive grammars.

Most grammars are comprehensive, well-written expositions of the entire range of usage of a language. A good number of them are directed to the needs of intermediate and advanced students who already have a sound understanding of the fundamentals and who have acquired a fairly extensive vocabulary. For a beginner, using these grammars can be a challenge because the examples often employ vocabulary and sentence structure that can have the unintentional effect of masking the underlying grammatical points ... for a beginner, that is! Furthermore, they explore refinements of grammatical issues that are instructive for advanced students but that are beyond the grasp of beginners. Finally, many grammars are "reference texts", NOT course books and do not contain meaningful exercise material.

IF you are just beginning your study of German, I suggest that you NOT try to learn the language by studying ONLY a grammar, be it Hammer's (which is dedicated to the needs of advanced students) or any similar offering. Rather, concentrate on ONE basic introductory course and supplement it with a VERY basic summary of grammar and, when you have gained an understanding of the fundamentals, then move on to more advanced material. Here is a short list of suggested titles:

BASIC SUMMARY - WITHOUT EXERCISES
Essential German Grammar, by Guy Stern and Everett F. Bleiler, published by Dover Publications
Shaum's Easy Outlines, German Crash Course, by Elke Gschossman-Hendershot et al, published by McGraw-Hill

BASIC SUMMARY - WITH EXERCISES
German Demystified, Hard Stuff Made Easy, by Ed Swick, published by McGraw-Hill
Interactive German Grammar Made Easy, by Lisa Kahlen, published by McGraw-Hill

INTERMEDIATE SUMMARY - WITH EXERCISES
Shaum's Outlines, German Grammar, by Elke Gschossman-Hendershot et al, published by McGraw-Hill (note that, at this level, you might find yourself looking up a lot of words in the dictionary).

ADVANCED STUDY
Hammer's German Grammar and Usage, by Martin Durrell, published by Routledge (This is "reference text", NOT a course book. Nonetheless, even if you're just beginning, you can always consult this compendium for clarification.)

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE?
Reading German, A Course Book and Reference Grammar, by Waltraud Coles & Bill Dodd, published by Oxford University Press (If you're at the intermediate level, you might enjoy this book.)

Edited by Speakeasy on 30 March 2014 at 6:57pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dumbl3d0re
United States
Joined 4671 days ago

11 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 3 of 3
31 March 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
I for one have read the book cover-to-cover twice, which in all honestly is useless,
because it's too much information to retain much of it (but it was interesting). But I
would say it's not really made as a learning guide; there are no exercises or tips or
things like that. It's more of a reference. When I have a question or am unsure about
something I'll go get it off the shelf and look it up. The book has sections like
"translations of -ing into German" (or something like that), so when I need to know how
to translate an -ing form I look it up in HGGAU.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version