Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 6
15 April 2014 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
For Konjunctiv II suggestions, are doch, mal, doch+mal the same?

1. Wir könnten mal wieder zusammen was unternehmen.
2. Du könntest doch Mathe lernen.
3. Gehen Sie doch mal ins Haus!

These are the sentences in my book. I am wondering if each sentence would be correct
with either doch, mal, or doch+mal.

Edited by Gemuse on 15 April 2014 at 1:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4528 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 2 of 6
15 April 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
I think 'mal' softens a suggestion, whereas 'doch' intensifies it. So while you could swap mal/doch around in those sentences, they would have slightly different meanings. For example 'Du könntest doch Mathe lernen' sounds quite reproachful, and perhaps implies that the person should have been learning maths but hasn't. Whereas 'Du könntest mal Mathe lernen' is more of an encouraging suggestion for something it might be helpful for them to do.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 6
19 April 2014 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks!

What about doch+mal? Is it in between doch and mal, like a more intense suggestion?
Du könntest doch mal Mathe lernen.

Edited by Gemuse on 19 April 2014 at 9:19pm

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4528 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 4 of 6
21 April 2014 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
To me the 'doch' sounds like a contradiction and the 'mal' is still softening the
suggestion, eg. perhaps the person has just made a comment to the effect that they will
never be able to understand maths and the speaker wants to (gently) contradict that
assumption by telling them that they could actually have a go at learning maths.

However I don't think I have ever used both words in a sentence myself so I would be
lying if I said I was completely sure.

The only example I can think of from real life is once when I was having an argument
with someone in which I was strongly criticising something I hadn't ever tried, and he
challenged me: "Versuch's doch mal!". I don't know what a perfect English translation
would be but in that context I understood it as "Why don't you actually give it a try
sometime?!"

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5711 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
21 April 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Radioclare is pretty close to the mark. One thing that misses is context, for example "Du könntest doch Mathe lernen." sounds alright when said by a parent to their teenage kid who is complaining of being bored because none of his/her friends has time to hang out. Especially when the teenager knows very well there'll be a test coming up soon and s/he isn't that good in the subject. Then it actually sounds really nice, much nicer as anything my mum would've said to me. She might phrase it "Lern doch Mathe!" which is a softened version of the imperative.

doch + mal ... is generally used when you know the other person isn't doing something, you believe they would profit from doing it but they are hesitant. The 'doch' makes it sound less like an order and more like a suggestion, and the 'mal' makes it sound like less of a commitment? Like, you can try once and afterwards decide that it does indeed suck?
I'd probably say "Why don't you ..." in English.

Oh, Radioclare, if I was that annoyed I'd probably add 'wenigstens'. =) With most intonations, "Versuch's doch mal!" sounds pretty encouraging to me. Like, saying that you are sure I will change my mind if I just give it a try; not like you know I have no idea what I am talking about (both of which are probably true).
2 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4894 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 6
28 April 2014 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
"Versuch's doch mal" in particular seems like a pretty ossified phrase, in other words it is just the way it is. Think of the English "Come on in everybody" (the "on in" being quite contradictory when analyzed at first, but "come on!" in itself is a phrase to which "in" is added to indicate direction of movement. Still sounds a bit odd to me!).

Edited by outcast on 28 April 2014 at 5:25am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version