United States
Joined 4633 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 17 of 21
06 January 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
PeteP wrote:
I recommend The Hunger Games as a good first novel.

This was the second book I ever read in Dutch that I hadn't already read (I hadn't seen
the movie, either). The first was a book that my wife had read, so I could check in with
her and verify that I'd understood it. While I personally didn't like the story of The
Hunger Games (I decided to give the next books a miss), I agree that this is a good level
of book for a learner. If you're into this sort of thing, it's a great idea.
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 21
06 January 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
PeteP wrote:
I recommend The Hunger Games as a good first novel. It is written in first person
present (As opposed to Harry Potter's third person past "then Harry looked at his hand").
In The Hunger Games, what you get is more "I look at my hand".

Funny, someone gave me an Agatha Christie (funny how that's a noun in English - shows you what a mass market writer she really was) for Christmas, but I really can't be bothered to read her in English, so I doubt I'll find the motivation to read the book in German. The quote at the start strikes me as quite readable, but also quite dated. I haven't heard "rayon" used for a long-time.

Personally I want to start reading something more modern like Nesbo, but my German is not quite there yet. :) If I wanted to read older crime novelists I would go for Raymond Chandler or Dashiell Hammett both of whom I prefer over Agatha Christie. Both suffer again from having somewhat dated language - though they are still great reads - and their writing is very clear and straighforward.

WRT to Hunger Games vs HP: I read both series, first HG then HP, and found the HP books much easier (at least the first four), but that's perhaps because I'd already read HG. The Percy Jackson series is also good for beginners and perhaps even easier than HP (don't judge the books by the dreadful movies).

Edited by patrickwilken on 06 January 2014 at 9:48pm

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 4044 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 19 of 21
07 January 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Funny, someone gave me an Agatha Christie (funny how that's a noun in English - shows you what a mass market writer she really was) for Christmas, but I really can't be bothered to read her in English, so I doubt I'll find the motivation to read the book in German. The quote at the start strikes me as quite readable, but also quite dated. I haven't heard "rayon" used for a long-time.

I take it you don't sew or leaf through women's fashion catalogues. :D I read the word on a weekly basis myself (being someone who sews). I'll agree that it's slightly dated for a British novel, though. It's more of an American word these days as Europeans (anglophone or not) tend to prefer "viscose".

Edited by eyðimörk on 07 January 2014 at 8:51am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 20 of 21
07 January 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:

I take it you don't sew or leaf through women's fashion catalogues. :D I read the word on a weekly basis myself (being someone who sews). I'll agree that it's slightly dated for a British novel, though. It's more of an American word these days as Europeans (anglophone or not) tend to prefer "viscose".

Good point! I am Australian, male, with more of a British vocabulary, and no interest in sewing or women's magazines. So for me the word is low-frequency, but I guess it just depends where you are.

I am more a polyester sort of guy if truth be told. ;)

Edited by patrickwilken on 07 January 2014 at 9:09am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4773 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 21 of 21
09 January 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Sandy wrote:
DreamCH wrote:

"Mrs. Cresswell had a marvellously dressed head of well-blued hair towering upward in
meticulosy arranged curls and rolls.

That quote shows that it is a waste of time trying to understand every word or phrase.
"Well-blued hair" is probably a unique combination of words. I doubt if you will find
it written anywhere else. No one will ever need to use "well-blued" so there is no need
to find out what it means.

Really? You will find the phrase "blue rinse" elsewhere, somewhat more widely, and I
assume that is what Miss Christie was getting at. This has social, rather than
linguistic connotations.

This is important, because Agatha Christie started writing well before the second world
war, and continued well after it, and so encompassed a great deal of social change. I
think she was probably more comfortable in the pre-war period, but nevertheless she was
around for a long time afte that, and still putting out the novels, which many people
liked.

I must say, I rather despair of this reductive point of view, very often on display at
HTLAL, which says that if you won't come across a word or expression every five minutes
in the present day, or in the pub or in the street or on the bus, then it's not
important, and it's not worth taking notice of.

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version