Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5395 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 27
21 September 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Last night I happened to watch a speech by Wentworth Miller. He was talking about his courage to tell the world that he was gay. And he used the phrase like "go out of the closet" ( i am not very sure cuz there was no subtitle). Can anyone explain this for me?
3 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4634 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 27
21 September 2013 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
"Coming out of the closet" is an idiom that is used when a gay man/woman publicly reveals they are gay to family and friends and decides to live the gay lifestyle. If someone is gay and they are keeping it a secret, they are said to be "in the closet". When they "come out" to the world as gay, they "come out of the closet".
5 persons have voted this message useful

chenshujian
Diglot
Joined 5395 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 

Message 3 of 27
21 September 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
"Coming out of the closet" is an idiom that is used when a gay man/woman publicly reveals they are gay to family and friends and decides to live the gay lifestyle. If someone is gay and they are keeping it a secret, they are said to be "in the closet". When they "come out" to the world as gay, they "come out of the closet".

And I am curious that why closet and gay are linked?
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4804 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 4 of 27
21 September 2013 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
It would be interesting if you tell what are the equivalents of this phrase in your native languages. In Polish it's "wyjść z szafy", so pretty much the same.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 27
21 September 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Well, there is also this expression, "(to have) skeletons in the closet" (dark secrets, or just things you don't want to share with anyone for whatever reasons). It's simply an enclosed room where you keep things.

2 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4818 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 6 of 27
21 September 2013 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
chenshujian wrote:
And I am curious that why closet and gay are linked?

The word "closet" seems to be used in expressions like that as a place where you hide
things. After googling around, I found that the origin seems to be unknown, and might
be linked to "skeletons in the closet", or simply hiding in a closet (from the outside
world).

EDIT:
In Norwegian:
"å komme ut av skapet"

Edited by stifa on 21 September 2013 at 1:44pm

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4769 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 7 of 27
21 September 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
In french : sortir du placard.

From Wikipedia:

The present-day expression "coming out" is understood to have originated in the early 20th century from an
analogy that likens homosexuals’ introduction into gay subculture to a débutante’s coming-out party. This is a
celebration for a young upper-class woman who is making her début – her formal presentation to society –
because she has reached adult age or has become eligible for marriage. As historian George Chauncey points
out:
"Gay people in the pre-war years [pre-WWI]... did not speak of coming out of what we call the gay closet but
rather of coming out into what they called homosexual society or the gay world, a world neither so small, nor so
isolated, nor... so hidden as closet implies"[11]
[...]
An article on coming out[13] in the online encyclopedia glbtq.com states that sexologist Dr. Evelyn Hooker’s
observations introduced the use of "coming out" to the academic community in the 1950s. The article continues
by echoing Chauncey's observation that a subsequent shift in connotation occurred later on. The pre-1950s
focus was on entrance into "a new world of hope and communal solidarity" whereas the post-Stonewall Riots
overtone was an exit from the oppression of the closet.[13] This change in focus suggests that "coming out of
the closet" is a mixed metaphor that joins "coming out" with the closet metaphor: an evolution of "skeleton in the
closet" specifically referring to living a life of denial and secrecy by concealing one’s homosexual or bisexual
orientation. The closet metaphor, in turn, is extended to the forces and pressures of heterosexist society and its
institutions.

chenshujian
Diglot
Joined 5395 days ago

122 posts - 139 votes 

Message 8 of 27
21 September 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
It would be interesting if you tell what are the equivalents of this phrase in your native languages. In Polish it's "wyjść z szafy", so pretty much the same.

In my native language Chinese, it is called "出柜". But it is just a literal translation of the phrase "out of the closet". It is a word newly created by the Chinese entertainment media. I didn't know this word before.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version