314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 17 of 27
11 October 2013 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
chenshujian wrote:
Josquin wrote:
In German, there's only the expression "sein Coming-Out haben". There's
no idiom related to closets or the like.

A gay person who had his or her coming-out is "geoutet" while someone who is still in the closet is "ungeoutet".

What about in French?

In French, you can say sortie du placard, sortir du placard, or se faire sortir du placard for being outed (rare), but
many people just say coming out as a noun. "Il a fait son coming out."
1 person has voted this message useful

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4769 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 18 of 27
25 October 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Oh and in polish the verb outować (or outować się) is now used although one wouldn't find it in the dictionary.
3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4567 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 19 of 27
26 October 2013 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Funny how the word "closet" is rarely used in UK English except in the phrases about skeletons and coming
out. I guess it's also encoded in WC, but does anyone actually say water closet?

Edited by beano on 26 October 2013 at 9:27pm

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4271 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 20 of 27
27 October 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Funny how the word "closet" is rarely used in UK English except in the phrases about skeletons and coming out.

Something similar happens in Argentine Spanish. Although "clóset" is a completely valid Spanish word, in my country we use other words, such as "ropero" or less commonly "armario". However, the expression for "to come out of the closet" here is "salir del clóset".
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4198 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 27
21 December 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
"Coming out of the closet" is an idiom that is used when a gay man/woman publicly reveals they are gay to family and friends and decides to live the gay lifestyle.

Is it really proper to refer to it as a lifestyle? I've mostly seen "the gay lifestyle" mentioned among people who want to belittle homosexuality as being about a choice and so on, but I'm not sure. If someone else could give insight, I'd be interested.

In any case, I think that "gay lifestyle" is just as politically correct as "black lifestyle" or speaking of a "lifestyle" considering anything someone is born with.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 22 of 27
21 December 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I have never really thought about this, but I don't think of it as any different than saying the "country lifestyle" or "city lifestyle" or "beach bum lifestyle" or "super rich lifestyle". If a gay person went straight I don't think there would be anything wrong with saying he decided to live a "hetersexual lifestyle". Those "lifestyles" all sound totally normal to me and not at all belittling. I think where you might get into problems is when you start describing what "gay lifestyle" is... then you will get into stereotypes about all sorts of things that may be offensive to some people.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 27
22 December 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Except that gay people don't really "go straight", nor bisexual for that matter.
IMO *prior* to coming out one can say that a gay person attempted to live a heterosexual life, but not "had a heterosexual lifestyle". What is a heterosexual lifestyle anyway? Heterosexual people have all sorts of lifestyles and so do gay people. On the other hand, city/country lifestyle is more or less the same everywhere in the world, with adjustments for the climate, culture and so on.

edit: or to be more precise, the city/country lifestyle have some clear differences between them. for the gay/straight lifestyle, you said yourself that the differences are really just stereotypes.

Edited by Serpent on 22 December 2013 at 2:27am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 24 of 27
22 December 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Gay lifestyle doesn't exist, it's only used by people who don't understand sexuality.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version