Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4581 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 1 of 5
25 October 2013 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Say you have your boss over your house for dinner with your family.

When addressing them at once, do you use "vosotros" or "ustedes"?

Does ustedes come into play even if there is only one person to whom you would use it?
1 person has voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5071 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 2 of 5
25 October 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I'd use "vosotros" there is no need to create the politeness distance because of one person. You could always single ot your boss from the group by referring to him/her separately using "usted".

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4584 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 3 of 5
25 October 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
In most Latin American countries this is not a problem as you would use "ustedes" in all cases when addressing more than one person. The "vosotros" form is not used in most places.

In Spain, it would depend. The tendency is that people use "usted" less and less, and in many cases people will say "tú" to the boss as well. However, if you have to use the polite form, I think Gosiak's recommendation is good. You could start by addressing the boss separately, and then talk to the other members of your family, e.g. "¿Usted quiere más vino?... ¿Y vostros, queréis más?

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4613 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 4 of 5
25 October 2013 at 3:12pm | IP Logged 
In Spain (outside of Canary Islands), using Vd has more to due with the age of the person spoken to than with formality, people tend to use Vd only with very old unknown people.

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3942 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 5 of 5
18 December 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Old thread but, I will resurrect it. Since you are in the US, you VERY rarely will ever meet a Spanish speaker from Spain in person. Thus, I would highly recommend using the "ustedes" form for the second person plural. Plus, here in the US, the "vosotros" just kind of sounds weird and foreign since the only people that use it are the Spanish, some very formal writings (like the bible in Spanish, you will use things like "tened fe"), and the Americans that studied abroad in Spain. But not all of them; I was in Spain a long time and don't ever use the vosotros.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version