Croatia
Joined 4613 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 9 of 17
28 November 2013 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
This is a feature of the Balkanic Sprachbund, tarvos. Most of these usages are also
possible in Portuguese, but we on the contrary prefer the infinitive in serial verbs, to
the extent that we have a personal infinitive.

I've noticed that many Brazilians seem to prefer the subjunctive in some fixed expressions:
''Antes que me esqueça...'' (instead of Antes de me esquecer...)
''Depois que você for embora...'' (instead of Depois de você ir embora...)

Edited by Medulin on 28 November 2013 at 5:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 5111 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 10 of 17
28 November 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
I don't, I think the personal infinitive is quite alive at spoken Brazilian Portuguese.
Actually it is the subjunctive that sounds more 'bookish'. If I think fast I'd go for the
personal infinitive, I could only come up with the subjunctive after reflected thought.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6848 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 11 of 17
12 December 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for all your input! And sorry for asking a question and disappearing for two weeks, my life has been kinda crazy recently.

I did not expect to acquire the subjunctive just from reading :). I am familiar with the general concept of subjunctive (learned it once in Spanish). I also know some of the French phrases which require subjunctive (such as Il faut que…) and some of the verb forms but I definitely lack a systematic approach to gather all these bits and pieces and fill in the gaps. Too often does the French verb system impede my speaking.

Emk, I love the subjunctivator! I knew the subjunctive descriptions at french.about.com but somehow I completely missed this one!

1e4e6, would you recommend that Practice Makes Perfect book? I think I could use some exercises but I am wondering if a whole book just on subjunctive is not too much (I still focus more on my passive French skills).

Are you aware of any other systematic descriptions of subjunctive? Having thought more about it, I guess I am looking for some kind of a cheat sheet / an overall presentation in form of tables, something that would help me to see the 'big picture' of the most important rules and exceptions. I do not know if I am making any sense... and I might just have to open a text editor and try to create something of this kind by myself :).

The case of Romanian is really interesting! I was wondering whether some kind of subjunctive constructions can be found in Slavic languages from Balkan sprachbund, and I have found this short part of a Wikipedia article; if you have any sources about this please share.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 6006 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 17
13 December 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
I've noticed that many Brazilians seem to prefer the subjunctive in some fixed expressions:

"Depois que você for embora" is not subjunctive. It has a "que", but then it uses the future "for". In Portugal this construction would not be acceptable. I guess it's accepted in Brazil because it's idiomatic.

Back to the subjonctif: when I was studying French at an advanced level, my teacher gave us a few exercises to fill in the blanks regarding the use of either the subjunctive or the present. After struggling for a while, I showed the exercise to some friends of a French family. After a heated discussion among them, I (in my 8th year of learning the language) was more confused than ever. Finally, the solutions (after more discussion in class) seemed a bit random.
Now, after having learned French for 8 years and having used it as a working language for some 12 more, I can say with a good degree of confidence that many times it depends on what you want to express: doubt, certainty, hope, fear, etc.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 17
13 December 2013 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I am not an expert on the differences between português europeu and português
brasileiro, but I learnt the former; thus it would always be, <Depois que fores embora>
or <Depois fores embora> for the infinitive construction, but this is the future
subjunctive? The infinitive and future subjunctive sometimes have same forms if I
remeber correctly. To differentiate, I think that irregular verbs have a difference
between the future subjunctive and personal infinitive: <Fazei-lo tão pronto como
puderdes> for future subjunctive, and <Fazei-lo tão pronto poderdes> for the personal
infinitive.

I would recommend the book if one wishes to master the subjunctive in all forms, but
any verb grammar book should cover this topic. The subjunctive, however, is, like in
all Romance languages, extremely fundamental for grammar and usage, so I think time
spent on this is quite necessary. That book took me only several weeks to finish, which
was faster than when I spent several months on verbs and the subjunctive years ago when
I first encountered the subjunctive in Spanish. But the subjunctive in French, although
probably not as much used like in Spanish or Portuguese, is important.

I think a chart with the expressions that cause the subjunctive to be followed is
useful wherewith to start though:

http://www.xtec.cat/~sgirona
/fle/subjonctif_index.htm

This is a very brief summary of some principal usages of the subjunctive, but to master
it takes quite some more werk.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 13 December 2013 at 6:35am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 17
13 December 2013 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Thank you for all your input! And sorry for asking a question and
disappearing for two weeks, my life has been kinda crazy recently.

I did not expect to acquire the subjunctive just from reading :). I am familiar with
the general concept of subjunctive (learned it once in Spanish). I also know some of
the French phrases which require subjunctive (such as Il faut que…) and some of the
verb forms but I definitely lack a systematic approach to gather all these bits and
pieces and fill in the gaps. Too often does the French verb system impede my speaking.

Emk, I love the subjunctivator! I knew the subjunctive descriptions at french.about.com
but somehow I completely missed this one!

1e4e6, would you recommend that Practice Makes Perfect book? I think I could use some
exercises but I am wondering if a whole book just on subjunctive is not too much (I
still focus more on my passive French skills).

Are you aware of any other systematic descriptions of subjunctive? Having thought more
about it, I guess I am looking for some kind of a cheat sheet / an overall presentation
in form of tables, something that would help me to see the 'big picture' of the most
important rules and exceptions. I do not know if I am making any sense... and I might
just have to open a text editor and try to create something of this kind by myself :).

The case of Romanian is really interesting! I was wondering whether some kind of
subjunctive constructions can be found in Slavic languages from Balkan sprachbund, and
I have found this
shor
t part of a Wikipedia article
; if you have any sources about this please share.

Start from Latin and check how it developed in the Romance languages. Latin makes very
extensive use of this mood.

Homogenik
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4769 days ago

314 posts - 407 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Polish, Mandarin

Message 15 of 17
30 December 2013 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
This page might be useful:

http://bdl.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/bdl/gabarit_bdl.asp?
id=4237

gales87
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 4714 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Welsh, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: German

Message 16 of 17
11 February 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
Medulin wrote:

"Depois que você for embora" is not subjunctive. It has a "que", but then it uses the future "for".

But isn't it the future subjunctive?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version