Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 12
11 December 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
SchwarzerWolf wrote:
As regards aufheben/aufnehmen, I thought they were synonyms. Sometimes, when I'm not sure about the definition given in my biligual dictionary, I look it up on the website http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/aufnehmen which gives me the following definition for the word "aufnehmen" -> "vom Boden zu sich heraufnehmen"
Isn't it correct?

IMHO, aufnehmen might be theoretically used with this meaning, but most native speakers would probably use aufheben.

I've just looked up aufnehmen on linguee and most suggestions were German synonyms for "embark on/begin" and a couple of common collocations, e.g. Kontakt/Kredit/Gäste aufnehmen.

Edited by Doitsujin on 11 December 2013 at 6:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

SchwarzerWolf
Italy
Joined 4468 days ago

20 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 10 of 12
11 December 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
IMHO, aufnehmen might be theoretically used with this meaning, but most native speakers would probably use aufheben.

Mmm, ok. Need to be careful with dictionaries :)
Quote:
I've just looked up aufnehmen on linguee and most suggestions were German synonyms for "embark on/begin" and a couple of common collocations, e.g. Kontakt/Kredit/Gäste aufnehmen.

Liguee seems to be a very useful website, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Anyway, I find it very difficult to find passages with separable verbs in present tense. That's why the suffix of the verb is in the end of the sentence and I haven't discover yet how to find similar sentences and linguee doesn't help. Do you have any advice?
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 12
11 December 2013 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
SchwarzerWolf wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:

Mmm, ok. Need to be careful with dictionaries :)

The definition isn't incorrect, it's just that both "aufnehmen" and "aufheben" also have several other meanings and, IMHO, most Germans would probably pick "aufheben" instead of "aufnehmen" to express "to pick up."
There might be some cases where aufnehmen might be preferable, but I cannot think of one off the top of my head.

BTW, pons.eu also has German-Italian definitions, and, as I already mentioned this in several other threads, if you download the free Kindle app and register it, you can download the Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch (and the Oxford Dictionary of English) for free. To download the Duden, download a free German book and then select a word in it to trigger the download. To look up a word select any word in the German book then click Full Definition and search the dictionary.

Edited by Doitsujin on 12 December 2013 at 8:12am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 12 of 12
16 December 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
I would also recommend the dictionary:
http://www.amazon.de/Hueber-Wörterbuch-Learner-apos-Diction ary/dp/3191017364

Its great for learners, gives examples for the meanings relevant for learners

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version