Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

"Challenge" to German native speakers...

Tags: Idiom | German
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4789 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 9 of 11
16 December 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
If you're looking for a High German variant, I'd suggest: "Ja, verdammt!" This is quite a mild curse and not as vulgar as "Leck mich fett" or "Mah geh leck", which are all variations on the theme of "Leck mich am Arsch".

If it should have a regional touch, "Ei verbibbsch" would be quite nice, I think. It's known as a typical Saxon exclamation, so it might be similar to "Eh by gum", which is typical for Yorkshire.
2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4466 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 11
16 December 2013 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
@daegga:

When I think about it, rhythmically, "mah gehleck" would fit beautifully. Thanks.

I haven't come across "mah" as a filler before....
....I see that dict.cc gives "Schau ma mal" as an Austrian usage for "let's see", so I
guess ma / mah are the same.

First things first: "mah gehleck" wouldn't really fit the provided context, because you
are talking about something/someone you know well. The Austrian phrase is rather used
as a spontaneous outburst when you come across something special but unexpected. An
explosion in front of you, a glimpse of a beautiful woman, a hard task, etc.

Now to the linguistics:
The "ma" in "Schau ma mal" is actually the dialect variant of "wir" after the verb in
an inversion.
"wir" = "mir" in Bavarian dialects, in the position after the verb it can be (and
usually is) reduced to "ma", just like "wa" for "wir" in colloquial Standard German.
The "mah" is more like an interjection, that's why I chose to write it with an "h" at
the end (think of "ih", "ah", "eh", ...), there is no standard for writing Austrian
dialects though (there is one for Western Middle Bavarian, but almost nobody knows this
here in Austria, so we don't use it ... we use mostly Eastern Middle Bavarian by the
way). It's used similarly to the Standard German "Mann!"/"Mann ey!" (with the "ey" it
sounds more negative to me..this would then be rendered as "mah geh" in my dialect).
"mah" is NOT the dialect variant of "der Mann" though.
Thinking about it, the infamous "boa ey" (if you haven't seen it - watch "Voll
normaaal!" with Tom Gerhardt) would fit even better as a colloquial German translation
of this Austrian phrase then "Mann!", although "gehleck" can be used by pretty much
anyone in informal situations, while I've heard "boa ey" only used by complete idiots
(mainly teenagers).

Edited by daegga on 16 December 2013 at 8:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4174 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 11 of 11
17 December 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
"Ei verbibbsch"

Absolutely love that!

Montmorency, I understand that you are fearing negative connotations to "leck....". This is a beautiful example of how differently such things are perceived. While I would feel comfortable saying "Leck mich fett" in any informal situation, it is finally the recipient who will decide whether this is appropriate or not.

montmorency wrote:
@Suzie: thanks for the "mich"/"misch" information. I'm always interested in knowing about local / regional variations. (Are you by any chance a fan of BAP? I don't know that much about them but I have heard one of their albums, which I believe they sing all in Kölsch).

They indeed do. While they are not quite my cup of tea, I acknowledge that they have been tremendously popular in Cologne region for decades and, unless I am mistaken, are also known in the rest of Germany.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version