Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ignoring du/ihr forms in German learning?

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4198 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 31
23 December 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I'm not an expert but I think that mentality belongs to the sixties and you can't really offend someone by using "du" especially if they can hear you're not a native speaker.

My guideline is that if someone is offended by a non-native using the wrong honorific they're not worth my time anyway.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4789 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 10 of 31
23 December 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
How are you supposed to reach B1 if you can't even conjugate verbs properly?

You should learn all forms, because you can't always use "Sie". It will be too formal in a lot of situations. As Henkkles said, that piece of advice belongs to the Sixties. Today, people say a lot more often "du" than at those times.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5544 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 11 of 31
23 December 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Personally I can't see why it's such an issue though. It's only a question of adding -st or -t to the stem of the verb

It is not. Many verbs have a change of stem:

Sie sprechen
Du sprichst
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 31
23 December 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Ignoring du/ihr is like ignoring to talk.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 13 of 31
23 December 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
My guideline is that if someone is offended by a non-native using the wrong honorific they're not worth my time anyway.

Indeed.

Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
Personally I can't see why it's such an issue though. It's only a question of adding -st or -t to the stem of the verb

Sie sprechen
Du sprichst

As in any language, there are irregular stems, but don't you agree that even if a foreigner uses the wrong stem, he'll still be understood in most cases?

BTW, when I notice stem-related conjugation errors or other minor mistakes, I usually try to use the same pattern with the correct form immediately afterwards. Smart language learners usually recognize what I'm doing and self-correct their mistakes.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 31
23 December 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:

Sie sprechen
Du sprichst

Of course you are correct. I think I've just internalized these forms so strongly that I don't even think about this anymore. I would never say "Du sprechst" as it just sounds wrong, which is why I didn't think of it.

But more generally I would say learn that you add -st or -t to the end of the verb stem, AND learn the exceptions.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3952 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 15 of 31
23 December 2013 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
I don't recommend postponing the du/ihr forms. While of course you would use Sie with strangers and elders it's really awkward to use Sie with your friends. In fact, it's even a bit awkward (IMHO) to use it with people around my own age. I don't know how old you are but I think that most young Germans and Austrians 'duzen' each other rather than 'siezen'.

Another thing, if you're chatting online or Skyping (or plan to) with any German speaking people just know that even people older than you are using du rather than Sie. I'm 23 and I do a Skype language exchange with a 41 year old and I use du with him and there are no issues or feelings of being insulted. In fact whenever I chat online and try to use Sie with older people they quickly tell me to use du with them.

3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4633 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 16 of 31
23 December 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
Personally I can't see why it's such an issue though. It's only a
question of adding -st or -t to the stem of the verb

Sie sprechen
Du sprichst

Excellent point, BUT you have to learn that stem anyway if you want to use the 3rd person
"er spricht," so if you're ONLY leaving out the 2nd person forms, it still is just a
question of adding the correct ending, no?

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version