Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ignoring du/ihr forms in German learning?

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
31 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6848 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 25 of 31
25 December 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
I can only agree with the excellent points made by many posters in this thread.

Generally, it doesn't make a lot of sense to learn conjugations partially, especially if they are not that complicated, with huge irregularities, and even suppletive forms. The German conjugation is fairly easy (even if it may not seem so at the beginning), and it actually gets even less complicated for past and future tense (apart from the need to learn the irregular past verb forms as in English).

If you really want to skip something, you might not need the 'ihr' form that much - but it really doesn't save you a lot of work, and 'ihr' is very much useful as well :).

However, you do need both du and Sie form! Using one form instead of the other is in many situations just awkward.

When I was 18 year old or so, I took part in an exchange project for Polish and German students. I still remember the moment when I went to the room of German girls, planning to ask them to do something together. I went in and I asked... using the formal 'Sie' form. They laughed hard... They weren't mean and they knew that I was just a beginner in German but still, this sounded so unnatural to them that they couldn't help laughing... So no, I don't recommend adressing everyone with 'Sie' :).

Frankly, I think it's much more important to adhere to such important social conventions than to aim for 100% correct verb forms.

Quote:
And the adjective and ein ending for dative
feminine is "er" making it sound masculine. All this mixing is making my head hurt. Urk.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying in the beginning. At some point, it does get natural, if it's any consolation.

Edited by Julie on 25 December 2013 at 12:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 26 of 31
25 December 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Bit of a rant: so the Possesive artikel of the Sie form is Ihr (Ihr
Tish); for the ihr
form its euer/eure. And the Pronoun of third person feminine dative is ihr. Why could
they have picked something different? And the adjective and ein ending for dative
feminine is "er" making it sound masculine. All this mixing is making my head hurt. Urk.

Because it was picked for the convenience of how German people speak, not how English
people speak.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4198 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 31
25 December 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
The overlapping is the biggest problem I've encountered learning German. It'll get better eventually.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4596 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 28 of 31
25 December 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
The overlapping is the biggest problem I've encountered learning German. It'll get better eventually.

It didn't, not for me. Actually, the amount of overlap and my hearing difficulties (really hard to differentiate between dem/den) is what led me to my hiatus in German.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 29 of 31
25 December 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
Henkkles wrote:
The overlapping is the biggest problem I've
encountered learning German. It'll get better eventually.

It didn't, not for me. Actually, the amount of overlap and my hearing difficulties
(really hard to differentiate between dem/den) is what led me to my hiatus in German.

That is another issue. Often its very hard to distinguish. Even when I pick audio from
the A1/A2 level textbook, I sometimes cannot distinguish between the en/em (and
sometimes er) endings when hearing. Even after I've heard it multiple times, and read
the transcript, I cannot make it out. Its like the listners brain has to automatically
fill in the correct ending.
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5243 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 30 of 31
26 December 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Its like the listners brain has to automatically
fill in the correct ending.

That is a good observation, and instead of seeing it as a problem you should try to use it to your advantage.
In most cases accusative or dative depend on the verb. Each verb has standard cases it is used with. If you make it a habit to study not only the isolated verbs but also their typical cases some random m or n won't bother you any longer.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6030 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 31 of 31
26 December 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
It helps to memorize just a handful of verbs or prepositions that take dative (der-to-dem, die-to-der, das-to-dem). Memorize just one short sentence for each verb, like "Er hilft mir" (helfen takes only the dative). This will help make some of that grammar more automatic for you.

Dative verbs: helfen, gehören, nützen, schmecken, zuhören, weh tun, fehlen...

Prepositions are also tricky. Example sentences can help:

prepositions and Dativ/Akkusativ

PDF - Dativ

Edited by Sunja on 26 December 2013 at 8:46pm

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version