United Kingdom
Joined 5728 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 65 of 71
17 January 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
@Random review: Your examples were fine.

IMHO, much of the confusion is probably caused by the fact that, as in English, both active and passive
participles can become adjectives in German. I.e. some constructions with sein and Partizip II
aren't Zustandspassiv constructions at all.

Example 1:

a) Er ist gefragt worden. = He has been asked. [regular passive]
b) Er ist gefragt. = He is much in demand. [sein + Partizip II/adjective]

Example 2:

a) Der Film is abgedreht worden. = The movie has finished shooting. [regular passive]
b) Der Regisseur is völlig abgedreht. = The director is completely nuts. [sein + Partizip II/adjective]

In example 1b, you can add "worden," but the meaning changes, however, in example 2b, you cannot add
"worden" at all, because "abdrehen" can only be used with inanimate objects.

Yeah. When I was trying to think of "wann" questions with the "sein-passiv" above, my brain kept giving
me sentences like "Wann warst du deprimiert?" that I had to discount as deprimiert is probably an
adjective here. Even in English I can't always be 100% certain that something that looks like a past
participle isn't in fact an adjective (amd my understanding of English grammar is pretty decent), let alone
in German.
1 person has voted this message useful

MarcoLeal
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4779 days ago

58 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 66 of 71
17 January 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
@Random review: Your examples were fine.

IMHO, much of the confusion is probably caused by the fact that, as in English, both active and passive participles can become adjectives in German. I.e. some constructions with sein and Partizip II aren't Zustandspassiv constructions at all.

Example 1:

a) Er ist gefragt worden. = He has been asked. [regular passive]
b) Er ist gefragt. = He is much in demand. [sein + Partizip II/adjective]

Example 2:

a) Der Film is abgedreht worden. = The movie has finished shooting. [regular passive]
b) Der Regisseur is völlig abgedreht. = The director is completely nuts. [sein + Partizip II/adjective]

In example 1b, you can add "worden," but the meaning changes, however, in example 2b, you cannot add "worden" at all, because "abdrehen" can only be used with inanimate objects.

I understand your point but I don't think this is the confusion here. The original question was why do people say "Wann sind Sie geboren"? In this case geboren is clearly a passive, not an adjective and I think we all recognized that.

The question is then: Is it really all there is to that question? In other words, is the sein-passiv being used there? Or is there an implied worden that might not be used in colloquial speech and the question is in reality an example of werden-passiv? The latter makes sense to me because it seems (and correct me if you as a native don't have this impression) that sein-passiv questions have to do with time intervals and werden-passiv questions with points in time. The following should illustrate my point:

Imagine a city has been destroyed in the past and remained destroyed for a while.

Wann wurde die Stadt zerstört? I would answer this with the point in time in which the destructive process occurred. Say, January 17, 2000.

Wann war die Stadt zerstört? I would say that it was in a state that could be considered destroyed for 1/2/5 years or whatever.

@Random review: please check the edit on my previous post. That might clear some of the confusion.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5728 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 67 of 71
17 January 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Marco, I already did check your edit and it did clear up some confusion. Thats why I had voted your post
useful.

I think Doitsujin's post may have been meant for me. At any rate, it was a helpful addition to the debate.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 68 of 71
17 January 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I think that much foncusion stems from the fact that English has no equivalent of the
distinction sein/zijn + participle compared to haben/hebben + participle. In English,
"When were you born" would equivalate to usage of sein/zijn for the instant that the
birth occurred, würden/worden would probably be untranslatable in English directly, but
if I had to choose an English translation it would mean, "When was the time wherein you
were in the process of being born?", which is very awkward as a question, because very
infrequently would one want to ask something like that, and the English wording is very
cumbersome.

Also, würden/worden in German and Dutch are usually used as passives when it is meant
that someone else does an action upon the subject. Like in Dutch, "Ik werd opgebeld."
the question that follows would probably be, "Door wie?" or, "By whom?". So using
würden/worden in this particular case might also imply to be born by someone else,
i.e., "When were you being born by someone else?"

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 January 2014 at 11:51pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4789 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 69 of 71
18 January 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Zustandspassiv doesn't exclusively relate to time intervals: "Wann sind die Läden geöffnet?" - "Montag."

This is clearly a point in time.

Also, Vorgangspassiv can relate to a time span: "Wann wirst du geprüft?" - "Von 3 bis 4 Uhr."

So it seems to me, you're overthinking the whole problem, MarcoLeal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

MarcoLeal
Groupie
Portugal
Joined 4779 days ago

58 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 70 of 71
18 January 2014 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
So it seems to me, you're overthinking the whole problem, MarcoLeal.

Well, yeah, I do tend to do that :D Let's just say I think those examples do force me to broaden my "theory" a little but don't really counter it lest I write another essay about something so small :D

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5505 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 71 of 71
20 January 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Just to add to the confusion/enlightenment, I heard on the news today "Soundso ist tot. Er wurde 80 Jahre alt."

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version