tyr-new
Japan
Joined 3894 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 5
02 February 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
After my disasterous last few months I'm picking up on my Japanese again. A few small questions have arose about pairs of words and what distinguishes them.

近接 and 近い: 近い is the usual word I was always told to use for close but increasingly I hear people using 近接 to speak about close things.

知る and 知っている: Quite basic really but....it isn't in my mind. 知っている is the one which seems to be always used, which makes sense, its an ongoing thing, but when would one use 知る?

喜ぶ and 嬉しい: again 嬉しい is the usual I know but the other is increasingly cropping up.

利用 and 使用: Both are fairly new to me but very useful.

So what is the difference within these sets?
1 person has voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4681 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
03 February 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
1. 近接, first of all, is a noun / suru verb whereas 近い is an adjective. 近接する can
mean to draw closer or, although it is grammatically a verb, it can be used like an
adjective: 近接したコンビに. I pretty much never use 近接 in spoken Japanese but maybe
that's just me, it sounds like something you would hear on the news. But that's
probably just my impression.

2. 知る means to get to know or to learn (a fact), 知っている means to know. I believe
that technically this っている isn't the present progressive but rather a description of
state, but that may be my own made up understanding of the grammar rather than what is
agreed upon. But just think of learning a fact and then knowing it- the first is the
plain verb and the second is the ongoing condition after having learned the fact.
Careful though, "I don't know" is 知らない and not 知っていない.

3. Again, you're mixing verbs and adjectives. 喜ぶ is to delight or be delighted. So
you can say (私が)ご飯を作って(彼女に)喜んでもら った but you can't replace that with うれしい,
grammatically it doesn't make sense. Whereas if somebody makes dinner for you you can
(and should!) say 嬉しい! but you would sound like a robot sounds 私はヨロコンデイル. There
are certain instances where grammatically you could use either- another important thing
to keep in mind is that you're more likely to say うれしい about yourself and 喜ぶ about
someone else, but otherwise you'll just have to get used to the distinction.

4. I strongly associate 利用 with instruction manuals and other corporate language.
Like 本日__をご利用いただきまことにありがと うございます。 使用 is basically just 使う when you want to
use a suru verb instead of a normal one. Umm... I'm not sure this is helpful. 利用 使用
and 使う are all words you need to know, but as far as everyday speech goes just use 使
う. If you need a noun form use 使用.

I hope that helps, these are definitely all words that you'll need to learn passively
at least, and hopefully with more input you'll get a better sense of usage.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tyr-new
Japan
Joined 3894 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 5
08 February 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
I see. Thanks.
Even though in the past I've taught English I'm actually very bad with grammar terminology. Keep having to remind myself what verbs and nouns and all that are (yes, very bad, I know), I tend not to consider such things normally. Makes sense now its pointed out for those though.

So 知る is a bit of a future tense? I go to class so that I will know whatever?

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4717 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 4 of 5
08 February 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
知る is just the plain dictionary form of the verb. In Japanese those can function as present, future or just as an infinitive (e.g. 知る権利 - "the right to know").

It's also probably worth pointing out that in many cases where English speakers would use the verb "to know" Japanese speakers use the verb 分かる instead of 知る/知っている. It's kinda hard to pin down the exact difference in implications, but I think the first answer here sums it up pretty well.

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4681 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
11 February 2014 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
@tyr-new, I'm not huge into the grammar myself- I usually learn grammar when I'm first
starting to learn a language and then my knowledge of it fades away as I'm actually
using the language. Unfortunately that sometimes makes it hard for me to explain facets
of Japanese! Ultimately I think of the grammar as one possible solution for figuring
out what's going on.

To approach it from the other angle, of usage, 知っている (as well as 分かる, as
vonPeterhof points out- I like the explanation in that link!) means "I know." 知らない or
分からない mean "I don't know." 知る by itself, oddly enough, is less common and more (to
use a term imprecisely) elevated language- good example above in 知る権利, or another
thing that comes to mind would be something like 和食の美味しさを北欧の留学生に知っていた だくために本
事業を開催しました。(We are holding this event to introduce the wonder of Japanese food to
our exchange students from Northern Europe / more literally: we held this program to
have the exchange students from Northern Europe learn the deliciousness of Japanese
food)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version