Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The Mind Portal...The Language Project!!!

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
84 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 10 11 Next >>
kmart
Australia
Joined 5922 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 25 of 84
30 July 2008 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bo wrote:

kmart wrote:

Let me get this straight - you want me to spin a disk full of words and try to read them, each time spinning the disk faster and faster?
Yuck - I'm getting motion sickness just thinking about it!

Can't handle a little discomfort?

Well, I've given birth 3 times, so I'm confident that I CAN handle a little discomfort, but I wasn't trying to learn a new language at the same time, I doubt it would have been very successful...
1 person has voted this message useful

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Finnish, French
Studies: Polish, Sanskrit, Japanese, Swedish, Russian, Arabic (Written)

Message 26 of 84
30 July 2008 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
kmart wrote:

Well, I've given birth 3 times, so I'm confident that I CAN handle a little discomfort, but I wasn't trying to learn a new language at the same time, I doubt it would have been very successful...

Congratulations on having 3 children! I am sure you are very proud of them. I agree, its probably a very bad idea to try to conduct a study of any sort while giving birth (imagine that...a lady sitting and reading a book calmly while a having a baby...it just doesn't fit).

The point I was trying to make earlier is that a little discomfort is usually normal when one is trying to make themselves stronger one way or another. A weight trainer gets sore muscles, a martial artist bruises, a mathematician or an artist a headache, and so on. If we were always afraid of a little discomfort, and never pushed through it, this world would still be filled with cavemen.

Do you recall how the Spartans trained? They didn't have it easy, though by the time they made it to becoming adults they where many, many times stronger then the lazy butts who did have it easy. Those who train hard to perfect anything struggle and suffer a little on the way.

Has anyone here ever had a headache from study? I know that I have, one of the more memorial moments of this experience was when my father had me do an entire year's math curriculum in 1 week. I learned at a rate that is approximately 52 times faster then expected, though I will say that I was spending 7-8 hours a day for 5 days straight. Afterwards, the schools tested me and moved me up one grade, because I knew the material I mastered. At the time I dreaded it, now I look back and thank him for it, as the experience showed me several different things about myself and about what intensive study feels like (I had blood pounding headaches at the end of the each day during that 5 day period of my life).

Regarding dizziness, my wife gets a little dizzy and feels it in her head if she looks at the wheel spin with so many patterns for over 3 minutes. I can spin it for 3 hours and be fine. Why? I have developed tremendous endurance, focus, and discipline. I've also found that as my physiological body adapts, spinning is easier and easier, and there is less and less dizziness to contend with. These days, I pretty much never experience it at all anymore...I've adapted.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5946 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 27 of 84
30 July 2008 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
Forgive me if I missed it, but how exactly is this method superior to other plain listing methods? The amount of drudgery would be likely the same, but does it help in any way regarding retention, absorption etc?

And aren't you studying Japanese too?

Oh yes, and warping the space-time continuum?

Edited by amphises on 30 July 2008 at 7:28am

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 28 of 84
30 July 2008 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
Forgive me if I missed it, but how exactly is this method superior to other plain listing methods? The amount of drudgery would be likely the same, but does it help in any way regarding retention, absorption etc?

I didn't say it was superior, it is a complementary system to accelerate the plain methods. One of its strong points is that by repeatedly seeing the same words blink in and out of the senses view, this information gets reinforced. If you study or have studied the memory, you will find that repetition is one of the keys of strengthening the memory, if we see an image once, its easier to forget then if we see it 300 times.

The amount of drudgery is the same when one fills in the map by hand, no way around it. Though using a computer CAD program, its much, much easier to produce! I will be setting up soon to use a program to help me generate the other maps quicker.

amphises wrote:
And aren't you studying Japanese too?

I am going to do this soon, I note in the thread that I am waiting at the moment, for one reason I work full time, have a baby on the way, and so many things to keep up with; so my hands are full. I am going to be putting it together, I am very interested in Japanese and will be starting soon. At this time, its simply too much to configure all at once, and I still need to find some time to get a good look at the basics first, before committing to make the map...in the thread I write that I will be STARTING with Finnish, Russian, and Japanese; and in that order. I am not going to stop there, especially if this works out. No, no, I will be loading my mind up with as many languages as I can- all of them if even possible (yes, I am extremely ambitious) - to rub it in all the way, as the saying goes. And I will be doing this despite my time set backs...

If this works out those who spoke doubtfully will have nothing to say, and if it doesn't I will have nothing to say about using this to learn languages faster. That's how simple it is...

amphises wrote:
Oh yes, and warping the space-time continuum?

(That reminds me, I've got to update my Trecena reports!)

Ah yes...the thread that started it all! Yes, I am studying how to warp the space-time continuum, after what I've seen personally, I will be seeking to unlock as much as possible. If this is real (and NO ONE CAN SAY YET IF IT IS OR ISN'T), then should I manage to gain the ability to manipulate and warp the continuum, what do you think that will mean for our future here on Earth? I am free do so as I choose, and I choose to try, at least, to push the so called limits all the way...I am driven by what I know...

Edited by Jozen-Bo on 30 July 2008 at 8:01am

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5946 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 29 of 84
30 July 2008 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
And I suppose opening your third eye too?

At first I wondered why someone would go through so much trouble if this were a hoax with no possible personal gain; but it seems that these maps are just variations of your art projects, viewable on youtube.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5809 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 30 of 84
30 July 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Jozen-Bozo wrote:
People, please make up your mind for yourself like adults do and don't let this guy treat you like a baby and tell you how to think or what to do, he's merely confusing his own opinions with facts and apparently believes that is the only opinion that matters.

Why should anyone let you tell them what to do? You're doing the old cult trick: "that person is lying to you -- they're telling you what to do -- don't let anyone tell you what to do (except me)."

Quote:
What are you talking about? The point of a language it to communicate, where do you get these absurd ideas? "The point of a language is to experience things without having to experience them"...WTF? NO...it's to communicate! C.O.M.M.U.N.I.C.A.T.E! And yes, my mother did read bed-time stories...and 'diddums' is not an English word!

Yes, but communicate is a verb most commonly used transitively -- so I ask "communicate what?" When I tell you about my holiday on the Spanish costas, what am I communicating? An experience. I am attempting to induce sensations -- images, feelings, sounds -- in your mind.

Also, this is the second "spelling error" you have highlighted in one of my posts which is nothing of the sort. It may have escaped your notice, but English takes many forms internationally. I assume this is another facet of your trolling.

Quote:
You are very confused about what a troll is obviously, since it is impossible for me to troll my own thread, unless I myself lose focus, and the focus is the experiment. Please do not troll my thread with words like loony, fruit-loop, or any other forms of name calling, show some respect and have some decency for other people's ideas and ventures, quite trying to control everyone's opinions with your own. If you choose to add anymore to this thread, I am very much hoping it won't be some irrelevant trollish name-calling comment and that it will be something useful.

You're the one who misunderstand's trolling. I'm flaming you, not trolling. Perhaps I should have accused you of flamebaiting instead -- do you prefer that word? But it's the same thing: A troll is a user of a newsgroup, forum or message board that posts messages with the intent of inciting an argument or flame-war.
www.studiodog.com/web-jargon.html

Quote:
I ask at this point that if you don't find this to your interest that you have the decency and courtesy not to weigh it down with opinions that attempt to undermine and steer other people's opinions, and let them make their minds up for themselves.

No, this group has the express goal of advising other members of the best ways of learning language. It would be to go against the principle of this forum not to try to put people off this silly little game you're playing with other people's time.

Quote:
Please, I have no interest in hearing criticism that has no constructive thought or reasoning behind it. If you want to share your opinion, please back it up with reasoning or simply don't share it.

Opinion:
Your idea is stupid.
Reasoning:
You have provided no justification for it.

Now, going back to the Wright brothers, they showed diagrams and formulae, and the establishment didn't believe them. The experiment appeared to prove the formulae within certain limits. Dismissing the formulae as incorrect was seemingly proved to be wrong. However, we now know the Orville and Wilbur's figures were wrong -- the formulae didn't take into account the non-linear characteristics of aerodynamics and they assumed that speeds in a scale model were a linear factor of the full size mechanism. In fact, Orville and Wilbur probably only managed to get airbourne thanks to the Ground Effect, which hadn't been noted at that point.

And my point is?

The rejection of the Wright brothers' claims was made on the theory presented. This resulted in a rational debate, and the conclusion of said debate was in a very real sense correct.

You have not presented theory or figures -- merely the subjective experience of one person of dubious sincerity. Therefore it is impossible to present any reasoned counterarguments as there is no theory to counter.

The only reasonable thing to say is that without theory there is no reason to expect it to succeed. Without any reason to expect it to succeed, there is no reason to try.

Now bog off and come back when you have something more interesting to tell us about -- like herpes.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jozen-Bo
United States
Joined 5761 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes

Message 31 of 84
30 July 2008 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
And I suppose opening your third eye too?

We live in a single Universe, all things are connected as being a part of the whole. Can you in reality separate the physics of how our body works from the biology? No. Even the language is needed (to define what we are as well), or else we will be unable to communicate the ideas and knowledge gathered by both fields, which are both part of ultimately one Reality.

Are you familiar with Kriya Tantra Yoga? Are you going to dismiss it as unscientific nonsense? Most people aren't going to listen, as it has gained a foothold in our minds and in our curiosity, maybe not everyone, but more then enough to the point where people generally recognize the value of such. Have you noted how many people are discussing the chakras over the internet and in everyday life? Why? Because they are lost and confused? No. Because they are exploring what is very possibly real. Can science alone tell us that? No. And most will agree with this.

What am I really up to? I don't need to discuss that, and if your smart I'm sure you can guess. I can however say that these things are all related, they all tie into a bigger picture, I am not going to isolate my views and put on blinders to see only one form of knowledge. Is science and art related? Yes. Sure, we can break them down in theory, but in reality they are part of a continuum of what is, and they affect one and other. Care to disagree? Start a new thread about it, because I am here focusing on one aspect of how the Mind Portal can be used, in this case as a learning tool.

In the other threads in other places, I am focusing on other things, because I want to burn out every route I can, to fully explore every possibility there is. Now...after SEEING human thoughts come straight out of the head, and seeing energy in over 50 different ways, and seeing parallel universes, and seeing things I can't even begin to describe...what should I think? I draw my own conclusions, and yes they might be wrong or right, but they are based on what I experienced and how I felt as I experienced. What am I suppose to do...nothing? Impossible, if you had a taste of the sensations, the thrills, and the awe of it, you'd be unable to go on simply living a "normal" life. If you saw the chance clearly to become something far more then you are, wouldn't you take it? I am!

People make modest goals, ones they can most often fulfill. I have no limits...if you look carefully, there are 60 threads at the moment about the mind portal, and many of them overlap to some extent or another on what it is they focus on, though ultimately they all tie back to the portal itself. I intend to open more threads, the number is in mind, and you will have to dig if you want to find it (its out there somewhere). Once I hit this number, I will never ever go on another forum again, though I will remain at the ones I have visited so long as I am welcome. I have other plans too, they reach into the future thousands upon thousands of years from now, I am not thinking in such a small gap of time as so many (I don't experience the NOW the same either, my NOW includes then and soon to be), and the reach of my thoughts and deeds goes beyond any investor here on Earth, as I am investing my time with great care.

So, I will open the 3rd eye, take control of the time-space continuum, learn many, many languages, and do many other strange things as well, such as master my dreams or master those powers we hear about but rarely IF ever encounter first hand. Seeing Shaolin monks break spears against the soft of their throat is real, yet how many people do you think would argue it's absolutely impossible if they'd never seen it.

Doesn't the bible and every other major world religion say that man is the son of god? If this is true, I want to grow up to be like my parents...GOD! You and most everyone else on this planet can go on thinking it's not possible, and by this thought in mind, making it your own reality. I won't ever accept that. Do you have any faith?

This gets more and more wild the more you find out, and I mean that in more ways then one. To make use of these other possibilities, you need a day code and NOT a language code. I have serious doubts that a majority of the people on earth can even begin to comprehend the day code, let alone make one up for themselves, but a language code map should be easier for many to connect with, giving that it produces observable results. I want to make these things easier to understand, and I will say this much...there are powerful people on this planet who do understand what I am talking about...no more of this.

Here is some of the other things you missed, and only some...there are many, many more; synchronizing the mind with the minds of planets, stars, and gods. Seeing through time. Entering the void. Loosening the bonds. Going into the mind of self. Encountering a duplicate version of yourself. Encountering the alter-ego of yourself. And...what does the Devil and God have to do with this???

Wait a second...I MUST be crazy...there is no such thing as God or the Devil, is there? In fact, reality is nothing more then what our scientists say, because after all, they are the only gods there are and only science itself is the one God...nonsense...

Well, congratulations on using Google to research and find out more about this. More is coming out in this thread then I wanted, as I wanted to keep this thread focused on one sort of possibility, to isolate it from the others to polish it sooner. All those threads tie back to what I have giving and gathered. Despite what I've made available, I have only put out shreds and bits when compared to the full bid, there's even more going on behind the surface...but I will do better to keep these things to myself...considering how hard it is for people to follow, make sense of, or put what I've given to use.

amphises wrote:

At first I wondered why someone would go through so much trouble if this were a hoax with no possible personal gain; but it seems that these maps are just variations of your art projects, viewable on youtube.

And to respond to your last comment, vice versa...the art projects are variations of my mind portal research project. How I use the portal varies, I am an artist amongst other things, so why would I not consider spinning art giving that I can easily connect these ideas. Connecting ideas and looking for ways to mix knowledge is a means to producing new knowledge, so I do this often if I can.

If all this was to gain attention to my art project...don't you think I'd simply focus more time, thought, and energy towards just making lots of really good art, as opposed to the stuff I briefly prepared (I am going to have to take a picture of some of the University projects I did and aced...so you can see the difference).

So, now that all the mystic weird and difficult to believe if not down right impossible to believe (one can ONLY speak for them selves regarding this) stuff has been covered, lets return our focus back to the experiment at hand, which is to generate language learning maps. Try to avoid the temptation to digress, these forums are for discussing how to learn languages and its posted "do it yourself"...which is what am I doing...I am doing this myself...that is to try to learn a new language, so I have a valid reason for being here.

THE FOCUS OF THIS THREAD IS A LANGUAGE EXPERIMENT...which is why I decided to leave the other factors of focus out...

So, that being said, I will now go and get that first map finished and spinning...

Ortho
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6148 days ago

58 posts - 60 votes 

Message 32 of 84
30 July 2008 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
The focus of this thread appears to be for you to write long monologues about your theories of the universe, and the dubious link that you are claming with language learning is just an excuse for you to spill the contents of your mind out in public, as near as I can tell.

And stop "correcting" other peoples' language mistakes until after you can properly use "your" and "you're". Even if you were right (you were wrong both times), it's still impolite.

Also, here's a constructive suggestion: Have you considered making flash animations of this instead of going through the long process of making a big piece of paper and then having only one of them? You could test whatever it is you're trying to test by making a spiraling flash animation and then distributing it endlessly, until whatever you're trying to accomplish happens, and it would be no sweat to change the word lists on the things without constructing another big piece of paper.

Edited by Ortho on 30 July 2008 at 10:28am

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version