140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 25 of 26
29 July 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
EnglishEagle wrote:
That's very interesting do you supplement
these courses with native material, graded
readers, radio, newspaper et cetera... How is your German learning going? How far have
you progressed with using the combination of courses you have described?

Like I said, I've only been doing it for a month, so I'm not really ready for native
material yet. I have a collection of graded readers on my computer (with audio) and
I'll probably start on them towards the end of Pimsleur. Pimsleur only promises to get
you to A2 level. I do have some A1 books though, so I might dip into them before I
finish Pimsleur.

It's difficult to measure how far I've progressed. I know the different verb endings
with he/she/it/you/I/etc and I'm reasonably comfortable with them. I know the structure
of sentences with two verbs, although it still takes a lot of thinking time unless it's
something that Pimsleur has gone over quite a lot, and the positioning of the things
between the verbs might not be what is most common amongst native speakers. I can do
future with "werden." Haven't really touched on past tense yet.

I'd say the major weakness compared to a classroom is that the material isn't
personalized, so after a month of learning German, I'm quite pleased with how much I
can say, but I can't really talk about myself very much. I haven't yet learned how to
say where I live, my job, my phone number/email address, nationality, etc. I haven't
even had any practice saying my name. I'm fluent in saying I'm an American though.

I think when I get good enough for native material, I have a lot of German films, and
I'd also like to read about football. I'd possibly also start doing things like
switching my phone/computer language over to German.

Thankyou very much it is very interesting to read what you do and I was thinking of
doing the same thing. As this style of learning appeals to me.

@montmorency thankyou very much, I like listening to song lyrics and its quite fun, I
will listen to your suggestions :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3992 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 26 of 26
29 July 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Most of Kraftwerk's stuff is largely instrumental, but a lot of their stuff with lyrics is available in German and English, which might be useful. I'm not sure it's a direct translation though.

Here's URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQIYEPe6DWY]Das Model[/URL]. A classic. And pretty clear too.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version