Diglot
France
Joined 4111 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 1 of 15
02 July 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Hello,

For various reasons, I have to learn a large amount of English vocabulary by 2015/2016 (ideally, 10,000+ words). I also plan to learn a little HSK1 Chinese on the side with Memrise, but I don't want to use Memrise anymore for English.
I'll make paper flashcards and download an SRS. I started using Memrise ten days ago, and while I've already racked up 820,000 points, I want to switch to an offline SRS.

I really need to make bilingual flashcards, and Memrise doesn't really allow me to do that. I don't have a smartphone or a tablet (I hate those devices with a passion) but I do have two regular Kindles, and an old USB mp3 player that still works really well.

I'll mostly learn words out of context, unless they're phrasal verbs/expressions.
Provided I can get the latest version of Supermemo (which has the best algorithm I believe) which SRS should I choose?

I tried Anki and didn't really like it, and I've never tried Mnemosyne. At that point, I'm willing to make the necessary compromises to reach my goal.

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4667 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 2 of 15
02 July 2013 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Isn't a Kindle kind of like a tablet? :)

If you are going to use a computer, I would recommend trying Mnemosyne. It is simpler
than Anki and improving a lot. I use Anki, but the only reason I use Anki is because
it is by far the best and easiest way to sync your flashcards between your computer and
the corresponding smartphone/tablet application. My computer time is limited, so it is
nice to be able to do flashcards "on the go" with my Android device. Otherwise, I
would use Mnemosyne in a heartbeat! (Although the creator of Mnemosyne is planning to
create an Android client in the future - I can't wait for that!) The SRS algorithm is
closer to SuperMemo than Anki, and there are more buttons, so you can "fine-tune" your
spaced repetition more. Plus, you don't get distracted by all the features and
complexities that Anki has.

Other than Mnemosyne and Anki, I don't know any other SRS software for desktop/laptop
computers.

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4111 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 3 of 15
02 July 2013 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
A Kindle is an e-book reader that I can't connect to the internet because I ditched wi-fi (and the Kindle NT4 has a sucky browser anyway). It's a non-lit device that uses e-ink (it's different from a PC screen.) It's just an electronic book, really.
I have several monolingual dictionaries on it though (Longman, MW, Oxford British & American).

I'm a bit skeptical about Mnemosyne because it uses an old algorithm of Supermemo, and also because it's the least popular out of the three SRS.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 15
02 July 2013 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Is it the least popular one? Even if it's so, I bet it's because of the syncing/ankiweb options. BTW you don't need a smartphone, just one with an internet access. i love my good old Nokia and I do Anki in Opera Mini. Before that I used Mnemosyne and this is really the only reason why I switched.

I'm not sure learning advanced English vocab out of context is a good idea, btw. There will be tons of words with very fine shades of meaning. (unless it's technical vocabulary or something)

Edited by Serpent on 02 July 2013 at 4:32am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4667 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 5 of 15
02 July 2013 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Mnemosyne is the least popular SRS? I never heard that before. I thought it would be
#2 or #3, behind Anki and SuperMemo, but again, I haven't heard of any others, with the
exception of something called SuRuSu that the guy at alljapaneseallthetime.com was
promoting a while back. I don't know if it still exists.

But yeah, like what Serpent said, the reasons I think Mnemosyne are not popular because
of the lack of syncing, the lack of good addons and the fact that you cannot customize
cards like you can in Anki. But to me, the algorithm might be old, but it is still
effective.

If you are concerned about the algorithm, Anki might be your best bet, because you can
customize the algorithm the way you want.

Some other SRS software I came across while on Google:

OpenCards

That might be it for offline SRS software.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4950 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 6 of 15
02 July 2013 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:

That might be it for offline SRS software.

There's also a java program called "Pauker", located
here. It's a simple jar file that'll run on
any
platform with at least Java 1.5.

I don't know that I'd call it SRS, but it has an interesting way of reinforcing memory.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 02 July 2013 at 6:45am

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5685 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 7 of 15
02 July 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
I really like Mnemosyne. Anki's features are nice, but i found i retained what i learned better with Mnemosyne than with Anki, especially learning knew vocabulary. I've never used Supermemo so i can't comment on that. Really, i don't know that it matters which one you choose as long as you follow through every day with your reviews.

Melya68
Diglot
France
Joined 4111 days ago

109 posts - 126 votes 

Message 8 of 15
02 July 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I tried Supermemo yesterday and was underwhelmed. Is there a way to create bilingual cards automatically that sometimes show the French side and sometimes the English side? I'll choose whichever program allows me to do that (+ multiple-choice questions and cloze deletion.)
I plan on getting tons of input so I don't really need to learn whole sentences.
Learning separate words is much faster.

Edited by Melya68 on 02 July 2013 at 2:22pm

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version