52 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 67
17 July 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
Well I suppose that's that then. My incomprehension only shows my lack
of imagination.
Hearing the word spoken while you flip cards at least makes the system seem that much
more efficient. But, now ...maybe I'm making myself seem even more ignorant, but I just
feel that if you're flipping cards to learn words individually then you're just giving
yourself more work to do later when you have to internalize everything other than the
dictionary translation.

In my case, I use monolingual learner's dictionaries for definitions and a few example
sentences (good for understanding register usage). However, I would only advise to do this
when one gets to about a B1 level.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4648 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 18 of 67
17 July 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
A word about Gold Lists: To my mind, this is the nearest thing to learning vocabulary
without learning. You come across a word. You look up or by whatever means find a
definition. You write it down. Then you leave it for at least 2 weeks.

When you come to "review" those words (which can actually be a long time later if you
wish, or if you forgot about your list), you only write down the words you don't know.

The point is that you make no effort to memorise them whatsoever. If you tried to
consciously memorise them (according to Huliganov), this would be counterproductive to
the philosophy behind the method, which is essentially to learn them "naturally" in
your long-term memory.

Goldlist Method

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6417 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 67
17 July 2013 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Hmm. I use SRS for things I either love insanely, or find awesome from a linguistic point of view (quirky expression, irregular form etc). If both factors are present, a lesser extent is enough.

I also look up words when I'm about to use them, and while reading intensively, but not much otherwise (I do love google images!!!). But I read intensively the things I find worth SRS'ing.

I don't know where I am according to your criteria but I certainly feel close to iguanamon.

In my opinion, making AMAZING cards is the best compromise between the SRS boredom you want to avoid and the large amount of reading that you don't have the time for. It's not that hard. Just do *some* reading and choose the most awesome bits from it.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4648 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 20 of 67
17 July 2013 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
The google images idea is interesting, and one I would not have thought of myself.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5082 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 21 of 67
18 July 2013 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
The google images idea is interesting, and one I would not have thought of myself.

I forgot to include examples. Here's an example of a search for the Portuguese verb caminhar. Can you guess what it means from these images?

How about the Danish word mønter?

It won't work all the time but it will work a lot of the time. It will work better if you use a country specific Google. A dictionary look-up, in addition, helps me to solidify the word or concept, but often times it isn't needed.

Edited by iguanamon on 18 July 2013 at 12:40am

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4667 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 22 of 67
18 July 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:

I've already once on this forum been told that I've misinterpreted a post entirely...
so for my own sanity and to defend my misreading, this is what I, in fact, read:

Quote:

Is there anyone here who learns vocabulary solely by using the language, i.e. by
reading, speaking, listening, etc? ...no wordlists, no Goldlists, no flashcards...
nothing. No techniques or methods to remember the vocabulary.

[...] my hypothesis is that everybody uses some sort of technique to retain and
remember
vocabulary. Otherwise... you are going to have to refer to your dictionary 50
times

So my response followed. Nope - I don't used SRS, wordlists, "Goldlists"[?], etc. I
(more importantly, other more successful learners) have "no techniques or methods to
remember" specifically "vocabulary." I sometimes make a note of certain things I come
across so that I can revise and re-write the until naturalized... but these are usually
odd structures, not individual words.

Quote:
You said that you don't use Anki or flashcards, but you shadow, write
sentences, do Scriptorium - all fine techniques ... but you have a technique [which]
was my hypothesis.

Well... you said that "everybody" had a technique for "vocabulary," and learning
sentences isn't a technique "for vocabulary." But since I'm only arguing about whether
I should have disagreed I'll leave it there.

OK, then I was the one who misunderstood. I assumed that you were using sentences to learn vocabulary. I shouldn't assume, because you know what happens when you assume... So I apologize.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4667 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 23 of 67
18 July 2013 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Sorry for posting twice in a row, but I've been reading iguanamon's post a number of times, because it is well-written and very informative, and I have some questions.

iguanamon, I love the idea of using Google Images, because I do think that I am an audiovisual learner, but I haven't yet found a way for it to work for me. So basically you are saying that you enter a word in Google Images, look at the pictures, visualize and internalize the word and images, and that's it? It sticks in your mind?

I clicked on the link that you gave for "caminhar", and yes, I got the meaning instantly. I will remember what "caminhar" means for the next few days, maybe even the next few weeks, without even trying.

But what happens long-term? Will I remember "caminhar" a month from now? Three months? A year? Or will I come across it again three months from now and have no idea what it means, look it up again, and go through the same process over and over until it sticks?

Please, if you think I'm being crazy or irrational, or if you think I'm wrong, or whatever, let me know! Criticize me, yell at me, slap me in the face, or whatever. I can take criticism. I'm a man! I'm 35! (Sorry, I think you would only understand that if you follow American sports. Otherwise, look at this video.)

I think doing what I just said two paragraphs ago is fine and dandy if you want to learn the way a child does, or if you are in no rush to learn a language, or you want to learn a language "naturally". I do believe that repeated lookups in a dictionary or Google Images, or using pop-up dictionaries, help to effectively move a word from short-term to long-term memory.

But if you want to move faster than that, as I do with Japanese, I'm thinking that you need a system to move vocabulary from short-term to long-term in an accelerated way. This is where things like paper flashcards, SRS, Iversen's wordlists, the Goldlist method, or simply reviewing your notes in a notebook every few months come into play.

Of course, this thread started because of my recent boredom with Anki, and my curiosity about just sitting back and enjoying the language, because that seems to appeal to me. Just read a lot, or watch a lot of TV, and let the language come to you. Perhaps the benefit of "taking it easy" with my studies would be less stress and more sanity, but the cost would be learning things at a much slower pace.

I guess that is the question for my situation. Do I...
(a) ...take the more stress-free option and be more at peace, while learning at a slower rate? Or...
(b) ...stick with something that might be boring in the short-term, but the payoff will come faster?

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6792 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 24 of 67
18 July 2013 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Notwithstanding my previous post, I would vote for option (a). It sounds like you need a
break from focused vocabulary studying, even if just temporary. If the method feels like
a drag, then the likelihood of increased efficiency will just be outweighed by the
potential for burn out. You could use that extra time to work on your listening
comprehension or get more comfortable with grammar or something else.

However, maybe there is room for an option (c) where you scale back on vocabulary study
without eliminating it completely. Perhaps stop adding new cards or only add vocabulary
that you feel you will really need and use?

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version