Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4386 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Swiss-German

Message 1 of 7
11 August 2013 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
My son, who is at university, has just berated me for having too many German books and that they were
possibly hindering my learning. Personally, I think this is nonsense as I do not always understand the way
something may have been explained in one book but will understand it easily from another. I get bored and
like to switch. The books I use the most are the Schritte Swiss Edition books and bits and pieces from
various other grammar books and courses. I don't think I would have kept it up for so long if I was using only
one book. I can't be the only language learner that learns like this - anyone else?!
1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4911 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 2 of 7
11 August 2013 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I would just be careful not to get stuck on learning hello and goodbye in five different books rather than reach chapter 5 in one book, if you understand what I mean.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5410 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 7
11 August 2013 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
My understanding of having too many books would be, if a wall of them would hinder me getting from the bed to my bath room...
As long as you progress in them and do not begin every time you have read the introduction a new one, I really see no problem. You need many books to master a language.

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 7
11 August 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
And several people have mentioned the idea of buying old versions of books second hand,
before the days when they were allegedly or reputedly "dumbed-down".

Whether the dumbing-down accusation is correct or not, it can be interesting to see how
languages used to be taught, and as has been mentioned on here a few times, older books
often have a certain charm which can be lacking in more modern books.

That may just be a hopelessly romantic way of looking at things, but I plead guilty to
being a hopeless romantic.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Glarus Girl
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4386 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 

Message 5 of 7
11 August 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I stick with Schritte so I have an idea of my level, which I just want to know, its not important. This series is
more for living in the country than being a tourist but if I get stuck with something I will look for it to be
explained somewhere else - to include You Tube. I have a lot of the old courses mentioned here but do
prefer the large colourful formats of modern books - they also make me sneeze less!

I have tons of books generally, something my Kindle loving son doesn't quite understand in this digital age
but I like the feel of paper!

Polydoc
Ireland
Joined 4005 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 7
11 August 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I'd say I have way too many course books, but I understand what you mean by using 'bits
and pieces' from other courses. I work daily through Assimil and regularly from
Wilson's Teach Yourself, then at the weekends when I have a bit more time I might work
through and shadow a few times one dialogue from the living language course or the
modern Teach Yourself. Then I have graded readers, verb books, workbooks, Harry Potter,
colloquial dictionaries etc. all piled up on my shelf that I just dip into now and
again. I can't see it being a problem so long as you, as Darklight says, actually make
significant progress in one.

Another thing to be careful of is never leaving teaching manuals, I found it difficult
to sit myself down and actually start reading some native content, I'd imagine it's
probably quite common to 'never feel ready' so be wary of putting it off because you're
gonna go back and finish another course book etc. That'd hinder your progress.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Glarus Girl
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4386 days ago

50 posts - 108 votes 

Message 7 of 7
11 August 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I watch films, soaps and news via Teleboy plus read native material. It's pretty varied. I think he thinks I'm
not learning anything because he doesn't hear me speak.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version