CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 17 of 22
13 August 2013 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
But it could provide a good place for intermediate speakers to connect with other intermediate speakers, so they could practice their target language together.

I agree. Many members here constantly give the advice that, to progress beyond the intermediate level in speaking, you have to seek out and use lots of opportunities to speak and converse in your L2. But are there lots of reports of HTLAL members doing that with other HTLAL members? Occasionally you hear about some face-to-face conversations, with a few You Tube videos, but they are almost always in English. Good for those with English as L2, but where are the opportunities in other languages? Just like the vast majority of the written part of HTLAL where almost all of the in-depth language learning discussion is in English. I suppose that is because it is easier for native English speakers and for most everyone else. I know I don't put enough effort to participate here in my L2s. But with so many high-quality members here across all the major languages, we seem to be missing a huge opportunity to do more things, both written and spoken, in our L2s.

Edited by tommus on 13 August 2013 at 2:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5658 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 18 of 22
13 August 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
The only language I can offer is English and probably nobody here who has my target languages as their native language would have the slightest incentive to speak English with me in order to allow me to practice my TLs with them. Some might do so as a friendly gesture, but language exchanges work by there being an equality of purpose I think, and that simply would not exist.

You could have the possibility to join our billingual German / English Skype - group. We are all fluent speakers of both languages and at present our group consists of two Germans and two US-Americans. We regularly meet on Sunday evenings and if you are interested to join, please send me a PM.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 13 August 2013 at 2:34pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 22
13 August 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
montmorency wrote:
The only language I can offer is English and
probably nobody here who has my target languages as their native language would have
the slightest incentive to speak English with me in order to allow me to practice my
TLs with them. Some might do so as a friendly gesture, but language exchanges work by
there being an equality of purpose I think, and that simply would not exist.

You could have the possibility to join our billingual German / English Skype - group.
We are all fluent speakers of both languages and at present our group consists of two
Germans and two US-Americans. We regularly meet on Sunday evenings and if you are
interested to join, please send me a PM.

Fasulye

Cool Fasulye! I'll have to get my Skype setup sorted out; then I will get in touch.

Herzlichen Dank!

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 20 of 22
13 August 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
One thought I had, and I'm pretty sure this idea has been mentioned on HTLAL in the past
is that instead of focusing on language-oriented groups like this one (or as well as),
one could look to forums (etc) based on one's TL in a subject area that one is passionate
about.

For example, some people here are passionate about football. (Not me, as it happens). So,
find a group that happens to discuss football in your TL(s), and away you go. It might
only be reading and writing messages at first, but Skype invitations may lead from it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 22
14 August 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
I do it. I am more than willing to exchange
Dutch. But no Romanian or Hebrew presence
doesn't help.
1 person has voted this message useful

leisaowns
United States
Joined 4646 days ago

12 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese

Message 22 of 22
17 August 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Nice thread.

Personally, I don't mind the 100/0 exchanges. There are several people I talk to only
in English or only in Portuguese. Maybe I just have more free time than the average
person for entertaining conversations in English that are mostly along the lines of,
"How are you? What are you doing right now? Tomorrow I will go to the theatre," etc but
I don't mind it. I know what it feels like at that stage, and sometimes we just need to
get real-time exposure to the language in order to improve. Sometimes I even treat it
like karma. Maybe if I chat with this guy in English for a bit every other day, then
someone will humor me too, and chat with me in one of my TLs. :P

As for speaking with fellow learners of your TL, I think it's really fun! :-) It's like
all the pressure of making a silly grammar/pronunciation mistake is off, because you're
both in the same boat and are bound to make a mistake at some point!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version