Groupie
Spain
Joined 3940 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
28 August 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
I second Michel Thomas - Foundation & Advanced (Total & Perfection), for me it definetely was
time well spent. I first used the regular CDs with all the background explanations (e.g.
'change tracks') and the two students a couple times and then moved on to the summaries. Just
go through them as often as needed to reply in no time. I also fabricated a spreadsheet with
the most important 50 or so verbs that always runs in the background on my computers. If you
have an Android device you might want to try 'Verb champion', you can download a demo version
in google's Play Store for free.
1 person has voted this message useful

Heliion
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4127 days ago

25 posts - 32 votes
Studies: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 11
30 August 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Having started only 8 months ago (with a 3 month break after the first 3 months), I felt sick about verb
conjugations when I saw them but I've since managed to get the regular patterns down in my mind, although
perhaps not with immediate recall, and a fair few of the irregular verbs too. I'm not including the subjunctive
as I haven't really started with that as yet but I know 6 or 7 tenses now with only the subjunctive left to learn,
plus the less common irregular verbs. It appears tough, and for me it was very daunting and has taken me a
long time to get them into my head but it happened and they now appear fairly straight forward to me.

Fwiw I used Coffee Break Spanish to drill them. They start covering different tenses (including some irregular
verbs) from about lesson 45 onwards I think, and they spend the whole lesson (about 10 minutes) on how to
conjugate the tense in light manageable chunks, it helped me, might be worth going through some of it. It's a
free podcast on ITunes.

Edit: having read your op again I see that you're just trying to make them automatic, I actually still have that
problem, reading some of the replies I guess we just need to start using and hearing them more. But having
them in your head must count for something, they're in there, we just have to retrieve them quicker, hopefully
more exposure will help with that.

Edited by Heliion on 30 August 2013 at 9:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 11 of 11
31 August 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Spanish verb conjugations - how to learn>

this may help:

VERBOLOGíA
encyclopedia of Spanish verbs :)

http://www.verbolog.com/entrada.htm

Analysis of models of conjugation:
http://www.verbolog.com/arbol.htm

total number of Spanish verbs: 95284      
of those 49171 (51.6%) are regular,

because of great percetage of irregular and semirregular verbs in Spanish (compared to English, or the closest Spanish relative - Portuguese), students are advised to learn verbs like this:

contar, yo cuento
defender, yo defiendo
depender, yo dependo

(not unlike the way Latin verbs are learned: dēfendō, dēfendere, dēfendī, dēfensum ''to defend'')

Learning verbs with infinitive form only should be discouraged:
contar = tell, defender = defend, depender = depend
(in Portuguese, 99% of verbs are ''predictable'' from the infinitive form,
in Spanish, only 52% of them are).

Also helpful:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Spanish_verbs_by_conj ugation

Edited by Medulin on 31 August 2013 at 12:58am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version