Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many Chinese Characters must I study?

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
tea oolong
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4235 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Korean*

Message 1 of 5
22 August 2013 at 3:46am | IP Logged 
How many Chinese Characters must I study before returning to studying Korean Vocabulary?

Currently, I am crossing over the 1000 Character marker in Hanja. Whenever I search for a
Sino Korean word and see its corresponding hanja, the meaning appears all to simple.

However, I wonder whether I will have the patience to master the standard 3500 characters
offered.

thoughts?

Edited by tea oolong on 22 August 2013 at 3:46am

1 person has voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5779 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
22 August 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
tea oolong wrote:
How many Chinese Characters must I study before returning to studying
Korean Vocabulary?

Zero.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tibbles
Diglot
United States
Joined 5010 days ago

245 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean

Message 3 of 5
22 August 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:

Zero.

On the other hand, I recall Prof. Arguelles writing that his learning of Korean hit a plateau and didn't take off again until he had incorporated the learning of Chinese characters into his studies.
1 person has voted this message useful

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6521 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 4 of 5
22 August 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
tibbles wrote:
lichtrausch wrote:

Zero.

On the other hand, I recall Prof. Arguelles writing that his learning of Korean hit a plateau and didn't take off again until he had incorporated the learning of Chinese characters into his studies.

With all due respect to the professor, I don't think you really need to learn the characters to advance in Korean. They might help you differentiate between homonyms, but if you know what all meanings can be attached to a certain syllable, that's usually enough. 99% of the time you'd have to look up the characters (or ask someone) if you want to compare them.

Personally, I feel that knowing the Hanja should be a supplement to learning Korean vocab, not a replacement. If you want to learn the Hanja when you learn the vocab, do it. If you're aiming at a passive knowledge of the characters (all you really need), having the Hanja as a second line on your card, or even recognition cards specifically for the Hanja for words you're learning, should be enough. It's a long-term aid, so treat it like one. Don't focus on Hanja exclusively, especially because so much of what is the glue of the language are the native words.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tea oolong
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4235 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Korean*

Message 5 of 5
22 August 2013 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Unless you already have a background cemented in Chinese etymology, it is absolute
necessary to study Chinese Characters to raise your vocabulary acumen. Some told me 1000
is sufficient, another 1700 or so.

But i do know they are necessary to boost learning in the language. Believe me, I did my
best to forego studying Hanja in the past, but the homonyms did me dirty. It's a
strenuous path but extremely straightforward. With the ones I recognize already made
vocabulary seem like a cakewalk. Using a Korean Japanese phrase book helps me "find" the
hanja in Pure Korean words. I don't want to hit the 3000 marker for the sake of Korean.
I'm grateful that it helps me in Japanese, Vietnamese, etc but still...

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version