Tags: Japanese
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 1 of 4
24 August 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
While perusing the NHK World Portuguese site, I happened to click on to a series of three Japanese folk tales translated into Portuguese and eight other languages including Arabic, Bengali, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Indonesian, Korean, Spanish and Vietnamese- but not Japanese!. Once Upon a Time in Japan

I can download the audio via my Flash Downloader plugin on firefox. What a shame that there's no text available that I can find, but there is a synopsis, analysis and translation in English available. I think this could be good listening practice. Listen to the English, read the synopsis and analysis in both languages and listen to the TL. The lack of text may actually be a virtue in that it will force listening.

Edit: A further search of the translator (I was hoping to find the texts), an American/Australian named Roger Pulvers, lead me to the SCBWI Tokyo Translation Group- Japanese Children's Literature in English. There is an overview of the NHK folktale series along with, for those interested in reading more about translation of children's literature, and those who are interested in finding out more about Japanese children's literature.

Edited by iguanamon on 24 August 2013 at 6:14pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

FamusBluRaincot
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5372 days ago

50 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 2 of 4
25 August 2013 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you. This is a great find, and I would not likely have found it on my own. I only wish there were many more stories at the site. I come to “How to Learn any Language” in hopes of finding posts like this one.

Listening to children’s stories, legends, and science and history lessons has been a huge part of my Mandarin study.
I have several thousand stories like these on my Ipod. Many are from China, while others are translations from world
children’s literature.

One easy way to find similar stories in many languages is to go to Youtube and do a search for “Bookbox Stories”.
You can use a program called “Jaksta” to automatically download them and convert them into mp3 files.

1 person has voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4658 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 4 of 4
26 August 2013 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
I extensively use Hukumusume, the website that erenko linked in the above post, and I fully recommend it to Japanese learners who are low intermediate or higher. There is a TON of material there, including folk tales. There is enough material for you to keep busy every day of the year, and they literally have everything organized by days for an entire year!

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version