9 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Gitaa Brother
United States
Joined 4912 days ago

23 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 9
01 September 2013 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I've been reading the self-study abandonment thread with interest, and it confirms my suspicion that there are
radically different types of language learners, and what works well for some learners will not work for others. Trying
to analyze these types, I dusted off Jung's psychological types and shoehorned different methods into the different
categories:

Thinking: the classical method of reading a grammar and translating text with a dictionary, Iversen's wordlist
method (possibly)

Feeling: Benny the Irish polyglot's conversing in L2 on day 1 method

Sensation: FSI drills, flashcards, Anki, 10000 sentence method

Intuitive: Listening L2/Reading L1, Listening L2/Reading L2, Assimil, Shadowing

Some questions: Are my classifications totally daft? Am I causing trouble by breaking up language learning into
different camps? Do actual learners tend to gravitate towards one of these groups?

In my case, I have used Anki successfully in the past but I still have a strong desire to never do it again. I also
fantasize about being some kind of pure mental being that could follow the classical method, but in real life I firmly
favor intuitive methods.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 9
01 September 2013 at 5:16am | IP Logged 
They are not totally daft just incomplete in my opinion. There are the visual/audio/other learners, there are the holistic learners and those who need smaller pieces, there are many more classifications for sure and they somehow overlap. It might be actually interesting to see whether visual learners tend to be more intuitive or thinking etc.

But even given just your four types, I guess most learners would fall int two or three cathegories out of the four. (For example I believe I am like 55% thinking, 40% intuitive and 5% sensation.)

But the truth is, it doesn't matter much in the end to know how your type by whichever classification is called. Just the whole you and what you need.

P.S. warning: a stupid joke: by Freud, we are all surely expressing our hidden sexual desires by the ways we study and which languages we choose. :-D

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4700 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 9
01 September 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
There's been some excellent discussions on this topic, but damn if I can find them.
Learning Styles (see Jeff Lindqvist's post below for the link)from 2006 is
interesting, but it's not one of the ones I was thinking of.

(note: free the search engine!)

I took these notes from a youtube video Prof Arguelles put up on this topic, and I
thought it was an excellent place to start a discussion:

ANALYTIC MINDS

1. Start with a short overview that gives a bird's eye view of grammar and structure
2. Do one or two thorough and comprehensive grammar/translation courses.
3. Do a deductive / observational course such as Assimil or Linguaphone
4. Finish with a pattern / drill course

LEARNS BY DOING

1. Start with a "full scale" Pimsleur course
2. Do a full pattern / drill course, such as FSI
3. Do a short course with a bird's eye view of grammar and structure to tie things
together
4. Follow with a self-paced short pattern / drill course
5. Finish with a deductive / observational course such as Assimil or Linguaphone

OBSERVATIONAL LEARNERS

1. Start with one or, if available, two Assimil courses, plus Linguaphone
2. Do a comprehensive grammar / translation manual
3. Finish with a full pattern / drill course, such as FSI

Edited by kanewai on 01 September 2013 at 7:48pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4639 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 9
01 September 2013 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Not daft, but I think there are many different ways of looking at this, not all mutually
exclusive, by any means.

As for the style of language learning expreaaing my innermost desires (sexual or
otherwise): That's me: since I like nothing better than lying back listening to an
audiobook, it conveys my desire to be a lazy slob perfectly. :)). (Watching a movie is
far too much like hard work: you have to keep your eyes open and maybe read subtitles!).

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4119 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 5 of 9
01 September 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I think that there are definitely categories but the biggest difference is between the
Grammar Book approach and "everything else".

By Grammar Book approach I mean: pick an aspect of the language and go through
exercises that pick out the general pattern, then go through exercises which go through
exceptions to the rule.

This is also the mainstream way of teaching a class on language. This style of learning
doesn't appeal to me, and I think that I'm in the majority here. Someone like Laoshu
has enough passion to make it work, but he would likely succeed with whatever style of
learning he chose. This sort of learning can be demotivating if you're a bit naive
because it tricks you into thinking to "know the rule" after one lesson; when in
actuality it'll take many repetitions and actual use in practice to "know" it. But of
course this isn't the case for everyone.

That leaves "everything else"... I think that the next big difference is how much
writing you do. I personally write at least two A4 pages every day. copied from a text
I'm studying, and I also do written translations of the text back into English. I speak
as I write and I speak-along as I listen to the audio of the text. Materials for this
style are texts, translations of them, and an audio recording of them being read
(+dictionaries, grammars).

But I understand that some people don't do much writing at all - there are regimes of
reading where extensive reading isn't just an end-goal but a method from almost the
very start. The idea being to read far and wide and increase the complexity as you go.
There are programs like LinQ and Learning with Texts, or old fashioned bilingual texts
to help you with this. Sometimes people say it's fine to be entirely non-speaking for
much of this process. As L-R doesn't advocate any writing of the text, I would put it
in this category. Materials for the method are texts and their translations
(+dictionaries, grammars).

Finally there are Audio-based methods where you focus on what you can say rather than
what you can understand, with the aim to build a bridge between speaking and
comprehension later on. You build up from simple expressions and learn to elaborate
what you've done already, Therefore this is more of a "speaking" style of learning than
the others. This is the only style which has a natural limitation because of the limit
of teaching material. Materials needed for this style are simply a pair of ears and a
media player. No dictionaries or grammars.

So I'll leave it there as a suggestion: 4 categories - Grammar-based, Writing-Based,
Reading-Based and Speaking-Based

edit: but so as not to be misunderstood - ALL the categories involve some grammar,
writing, reading and speaking. And of course listening. It cannot be an effective study
program otherwise. I don't think that shadowing is really a category here - it's just a
way of listening.

Edited by Retinend on 01 September 2013 at 5:55pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 9
01 September 2013 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Fixed link:
Learning styles
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4344 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 7 of 9
01 September 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:

So I'll leave it there as a suggestion: 4 categories - Grammar-based, Writing-Based,
Reading-Based and Speaking-Based

I think these categories are good, but I would broaden out Reading-Based to Input-Based with Reading and Listening (movies/tv/audio-books) as the main activities.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 9
01 September 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I would get bored of all those textbooks before I even finished the first one.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version