Iwwersetzerin’s language learning log

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
117 messages over 15 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 14 15 Next >>
Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 81 of 117
13 September 2011 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
The 6 Week Challenge is over and I'm more or less happy with my result for Dutch: 47 hours and 10 minutes. I had aimed at 60 hours and couldn't quite make it due to too heavy workload in August, but it still turns out to a little over an hour a day, which I consider not bad at all. Congrats to those who managed to clock up over 200 hours, that's quite impressive!
I went through an entire phrasebook, finished Teach Yourself and am currently redoing Assimil (lesson 61 at the moment). I do feel that I made some nice progress and I am obviously not going to stop here and will definitely continue learning Dutch. I'm also going to take up Italian once again.
I really enjoyed the challenge and I'm definitely going to participate in the next one, maybe with Indonesian, Catalan or Portuguese, haven't decided yet.
I've also decided to participate in the Tadoku reading challenge, which is just what a bookworm like me needs. I have a pile of Dutch and Italian books waiting for me!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6027 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 82 of 117
14 September 2011 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Hi Iwwersetzerin

It's always fun anticipating a new challenge! If I may ask, how do you keeping track of your hours/progress?

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 83 of 117
14 September 2011 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi Sunja,
I simply tracked my progress on a piece of paper, making a note when I started to work on a textbook and another note when I stopped. That's it. I know some people use stopwatches to track their work by the minute, but I think that's overkill.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 84 of 117
30 September 2011 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Time for an update:
Currently working on Assimil Dutch lesson 68
I'll be spending the weekend in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium, so I should be able to practice a little bit.

The Tadoku reading challenge starts tomorrow! I signed up for Dutch and Italian and plan to read a minimum of 1000 pages, and hopefully more if my workload allows it. 2-3 books in each language would be great.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 85 of 117
01 November 2011 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday was the last day of the Tadoku challenge. For those who don't know, it's a one-month challenge consisting in reading as much as you can in your foreign languages. I participated with Dutch and Italian. Unfortunately, I am a far cry from the 1000 pages I wanted to read, I only managed to do 412. I'll do better next time!
In Dutch, I read "Reizen etc. De beste Nederlandse en Vlaamse reisverhalen van 2004", a collection of short stories about travel.
In Italian, I read "Capricci", a bilingual Italian-German collection of short stories, "Novelle Italiane di oggi" a bilingual Italian-French collection of short stories and I started to read "Cronaca di una morte annunciata" by Gabriel García Márquez (which I already read in Spanish some years ago).
I'm definitely going to participate in the next reading challenge, probably with the same languages again.

One challenge is barely over and the next one is already starting. Today is the first day of the 6 Week Challenge and I'm participating with Indonesian. Yes, wanderlust got the better of me! I've wanted to dabble in Indonesian for quite some time and I think 6 weeks will be a perfect introduction. My current knowledge of Indonesian is zero, I know how to say "hello" and "thank you" and that's it. I'm aiming for 60 hours of intensive study in order to get a good foundation in the language.
I'm mainly going to use the Lonely Planet phrasebook, Assimil and Teach Yourself.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 86 of 117
15 December 2011 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Indonesian:
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to study as much Indonesian as I would have liked due to being ill for part of the challenge. I did about half of what I wanted to do, which is a bit disappointing, but it was enough to get me hooked on Indonesian and I will definitely continue.
I used the Lonely Planet phrasebook, Assimil (I'm on lesson 11), Teach Yourself (made it to lesson 4) and www.learningindonesian.com (great for the basics).
I'll continue to study some Indonesian on the side for now and will probably take it up again seriously for the next challenge in February.

Italian:
Finished reading "Cronaca di una morte annunciata" (quite an easy read)

Plans for 2012:

Italian:
- continue to improve mainly by reading (a lot!) and finishing Assimil Perfectionnement
- sit the CELI 4 (C1 level) Italian exam in June or November

Dutch:
- continue to improve by going through Assimil and Assimil Perfectionnement and reading more
- try to sit a Dutch language exam if possible (if I can arrange to go to Belgium or the Netherlands)

Indonesian:
- not a priority, but I would like to continue slowly and not forget the little I have learned during the 6 Week Challenge
- do another 6 Week Challenge in February

and some tentative plans:
- do a 6 Week Challenge for Catalan
- do a 6 Week Challenge for Portuguese

and maybe, maybe take up some Russian again...

Looking forward to loads of language learning in 2012!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 87 of 117
02 January 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Hello 2012!
I can't believe I started this log in 2009! Since then, I have certainly come a long way in Dutch and Italian, and I have learned some Esperanto and Indonesian. Not bad, but I could have done much better. The main problem is that I work too much (as most freelancers) and that I take on too many other projects besides language learning. This is not going to change in 2012, but my goal is to try to organize my time better so I can set aside more time for language learning.
My priority for 2012 is to take both Dutch and Italian to the next level (C1-ish) and to get the basics down for Indonesian, Catalan and Portuguese.

I'm currently taking part in the Tadoku Reading Challenge. The goal is to read as much as possible in one or more foreign languages during January. I aim at a total of 500 pages in Italian and Dutch and started reading Racconti romani by Alberto Moravia (bilingual Italian-German edition).

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5789 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 117
02 January 2012 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Iwwersetzerin wrote:
The main problem is that I work too much (as most freelancers) and that I take on too many other projects besides language learning. This is not going to change in 2012, but my goal is to try to organize my time better so I can set aside more time for language learning. My priority for 2012 is to take both Dutch and Italian to the next level (C1-ish) and to get the basics down for Indonesian, Catalan and Portuguese.

NL: Dat was toen jammer dat ons de kans niet werd gegeven om elkaar in Duitsland te ontmoeten. Dat weet ik heel goed dat mensen die een zelfstandige baan hebben, buitengewoon veel uren moeten werken. Daarom kan ik een dergelijke baan niet kiezen, want mijn gezondheid zou het niet toelaten dat ik zoveel uren werk. Ik schat dat je met je Italiaans niet zo heel ver van een C1 - level vandaan bent maar een C1 - level in het Nederlands te bereiken dat vind ik ambitieus. Ik heb een C1 - examen in het Nederlands afgelegd, dus ik weet precies wat een C1 - level in het Nederlands is. Ik vind het altijd leuk als andere mensen Nederlands en Esperanto leren, dus dat zal ik wel met interesse gaan meevolgen. Ik had toen in de jaren 1992-1995 aan de universiteit 4 semesters taalcursussen in het Portugees gevolgd, maar na het verlaten van de universiteit heb ik deze taal volledig laten vallen. Het kan zijn dat ik ooit in mijn leven het Portugees weer zal oppakken, maar dat is nog vaag.

Ik wens je veel succes voor jouw taalprojecten van 2012 en vooral als je nog verdere taalexamens gaat doen!

Fasulye

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version