Germany
Joined 6027 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 97 of 117
05 January 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Even if progress was slow it looks like you're moving forward and keeping yourself motivated with courses. I'm glad you're still logging in from time to time. I enjoy reading.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 98 of 117
08 January 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks Sunja, I really appreciate your comment.
Good luck with Japanese and French!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 
Speaks: French*, Luxembourgish*, GermanC2, EnglishC2, SpanishC2, DutchC1, ItalianC1

Message 99 of 117
02 February 2013 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
Just a quick challenge update: I managed to read 426 pages in Italian for the Tadoku reading challenge in January, which I'm pretty satisfied with, especially considering that I only started the challenge on January 11th because I was in Mexico until then.
I read two books, La solitudine dei numeri primi by Paolo Giordano (great book) and Manuale dell'imperfetto viaggiatore by Beppe Severgnini (absolutely hilarious, I need to buy more of his books for the next challenge).

And now it's 6 Week Challenge time! I'm participating with Indonesian again and my goal is to log at least 60 hours and finish Teach Yourself.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5072 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 100 of 117
03 February 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Iwwersetzerin wrote:
... Manuale dell'imperfetto viaggiatore by Beppe Severgnini
(absolutely hilarious, I need to buy more of his books for the next challenge).

I agree, he's hilarious. If you're not aware, he also has a column in Corriere Della
Sera - http://italians.corriere.it/.

If you ever get a chance to see him in person, do so! He travels often and usually
speaks at bookstores or Italian cultural centers. He's very personable and entertaining.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 101 of 117
03 February 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:

I agree, he's hilarious. If you're not aware, he also has a column in Corriere Della
Sera - http://italians.corriere.it/.

If you ever get a chance to see him in person, do so! He travels often and usually
speaks at bookstores or Italian cultural centers. He's very personable and entertaining.

R.
==

Thanks for the tip! It would certainly be fun to see him in person.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 102 of 117
24 May 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Time for a long overdue update: not much to report from the language front at the moment, I'm slowly progressing with Italian and Indonesian.
The highlight of the year has been the Polyglot Conference in Budapest last weekend, which was absolutely inspiring and extremely motivating. I've written a review of it on my blog, which you can read here. I spoke all my active languages there, plus some Italian and a little bit of Dutch. And above all, spending a weekend with some really amazing polyglots has made my motivation skyrocket! I'm firmly determined to take a more structured approach to my learning and make some real progress during the rest of the year.
I applied a few weeks ago to study Russian (or Swedish or Portuguese as alternative options) by distance learning at Dalarna University in Sweden. Fingers crossed that I'll be accepted!

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 103 of 117
24 May 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
@hrhenry: guess who's coming to Luxembourg in 2 weeks? Beppe Severgnini! He'll be giving a presentation in Italian about his latest book, Italiani di domani. I'm really looking forward to that.

Iwwersetzerin
Bilingual Heptaglot
Luxembourg
Joined 5611 days ago

259 posts - 513 votes 

Message 104 of 117
26 July 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
I confirm that Beppe Severgnini is indeed hilarious! He gave a really interesting talk and I managed to understand everything, even though he seemed to talk really fast (at least that's what it sounded like to me). I also bought his new book, which I hope to get around to reading this summer.

And here's the big news: I was accepted at Dalarna University for both Russian and Portuguese (not for Swedish which was my third choice, as I would be over the maximum credit allowed). Since I'm unable to choose between Russian and Portuguese, I'll try to do both and see how long I can keep up. If it's too much (as I fear it will be), I'll drop one of them next semester, but I'm just too tempted to try both for now. I already have some background in Russian (about 3 years of evening courses, last in 2005) and Portuguese shouldn't be too difficult for me as I speak fluent Spanish. I'm really curious to see what the courses are like and where they will take me. I'll try not to neglect my Italian too much and keep reading regularly in Italian. Dutch and Indonesian will have to take a back-seat for now (again).

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version