Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6048 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 113 of 119
24 December 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
This link to the story Król Maciuś Pierwszy by Janusz Korczak. It's not really a fairy story, but a children's story about a boy who becomes a king at a very young age. His attempts to improve the lot of children meet with all kinds of resistance. An easy read.

Janusz Korczak ran an orphanage in Warsaw during WW2. Despite chances of sanctuary, he stayed with the orphans all the way to Treblinka extermination camp.
Knowing this makes reading the story more poignant.
1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 114 of 119
24 December 2012 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Gosiak wrote:
I have a good example:

Nie popieram tego co robi, ale będę go zawsze wspierać, ponieważ jest moim przyjacielem.

I like this example. So does this mean, roughly,

Nie zgadzam się z tym co robi, ale będę mu zawsze pomagać moralnie i emocjonalnie (lub po angielsku, "I
will always be there for him")

And for further clarification . . .

Czy to zdanie znaczy, że chociaż nie popieram decyzji mojego przyjaciela, pomogę mu w realizacji jego
zamiarów z powodu przyjaźni? Albo czy to znaczy, że po prostu będę dobrą przyjaciółką, bez uwikłania się w
coś, które uważam za niedobre?

I hope my questions make sense . . . I am mostly wondering about what kind of support the word "wspierać"
implies here.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 115 of 119
24 December 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
@Mooby, I just saw your post. It looks like a good story! I'm sure the author's life story does affect your
emotions while reading the book. I know when I read Kamienie na szaniec it always produces a greater
effect on me since I know that all the main characters were real teenagers/young adults who died fighting for
Polish freedom.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 116 of 119
24 December 2012 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
SUMMARY OF THE YEAR 2012
I think it's time that I evaluated this year.

First, I will say right off that my Polish studies were pretty much a failure. I did finish Pan Tadeusz as
planned, and I wrote a four-page essay comparing Telimena and Zosia, but I wanted to read at least three
more books in Polish and I didn't manage that. I read a third of Stara baśń and now I have started
Kamienie na szaniec, but that's it. I had hoped to reach (or at least approach) advanced fluency by the
end of 2012, but I am still far from that lofty goal. However, for academic reasons I needed to focus on
Spanish and Latin throughout most of the year, and my schedule was pretty busy, so there were extenuating
circumstances. Over the last few months I have been making a point of studying Polish more often, and in
2013 I hope to improve considerably and to give my favorite language more attention!

Spanish, on the other hand, was a great success for me. My two main goals were to pass the AP Spanish
Language exam and to read my first books in Spanish. I scored a 5 (which is the highest possible score) on
the AP exam and I read three books in Spanish. Over the last month I have been exploring Spanish and Latin
American poetry and short stories, which has improved my reading comprehension considerably. I added
around 2,000 vocabulary words to Anki - not as many as I would have liked, but my active vocabulary has
passed 5,000 now, which is a nice milestone. I assume my writing skills have improved, although I only wrote
4 or 5 formal essays. My speaking and listening comprehension are much better, too, thanks to reviewing
level 3 of Pimsleur, talking to myself, watching soap operas, and listening to numerous podcasts (this last
method was the most effective :)). In Nicaragua I was able to interpret for the other members of my mission
team without too many problems, and my conversations with my Puerto Rican aunt are growing steadily more
complex. Last time we discussed literature and I didn't have any trouble! 

I also met my goals for Latin. I finished Wheelock's - well, except for the exercises for the last four chapters,
but I'm working on them now. I started Collins and using Collins, Allen and Greenough's, and Wheelock's I
deepened and expanded my knowledge of Latin grammar. My vocabulary also increased, although in 2013 I
need to learn thousands of new words. I can finally understand original Latin texts (albeit with frequent
recourse to dictionaries) and I can scan Latin poetry! Yippee! :)

Overall, I am satisfied with this year's studies, but I am looking forward to the challenges of 2013! With
languages, there is always room for improvement, and I can't wait to begin work!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6048 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 117 of 119
24 December 2012 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
Great work Amerykanka - looking forward to your studies in 2013 [esp. Polish].

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 118 of 119
24 December 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you - I am looking forward to being on Team Żubr again, and I hope I will be a more productive
member this year!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 119 of 119
29 December 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Well, I believe this log has served its purpose. There are only a few days left in 2012, and I plan on mostly
organizing my Polish flashcards, so I don't think I will be posting here again. In 2013, I will of course be
updating my new
log
. I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas (or a merry last 7 days of Christmas, anyway) and a
happy New Year! :)

Edited by Amerykanka on 29 December 2012 at 7:14pm

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version