Mooby
Scotland
Joined 6048 days ago

707 posts - 1220 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 17 of 119
05 January 2012 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Like you, I refer to several dictionaries for clarity. It does take a long time but it gives me more confidence when I use words. Building vocabulary is very enjoyable but, personally, I know I have to venture into the tortuous word of declensions (something I've postponed for way too long).
Good luck with your tutor.
1 person has voted this message useful

tozick
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
Joined 6305 days ago

44 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 18 of 119
05 January 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

@Gosiak, dziękuję za poprawki! :) Nigdy nie wiedziałam o tym, że wyraz "polecenia" w liczbie mnogiej musi
znaczyć "rozkazy" a nie "sugestie" - muszę dodać ten fakt do Anki. Czy bym mogła powiedzieć "zalecenia" w
tym kontekście?

"Zalecenia" także nie byłyby odpowiednie w tym kontekście. Jedynym słowem, które brzmi naturalnie, przynajmniej dla mnie, są 'sugestie', ewentualnie 'rekomendacje'. Drugim, równie naturalnym wyjściem, jest powiedzenie, jak już Gosiak wspomniała, 'polecenie książek'.
Jeśli chodzi o 'zalecenia' jest to słowo głównie spotykanie w kontekście medycznym. Głównym czasownikiem, z którym 'zalecenia' się łączą jest 'stosować się' (comply with).

'stosować się do zaleceń lekarza' = 'to comply with doctor's orders'

Można też powiedzieć : 'przestrzegać zaleceń lekarza'.

Btw, powinno być 'Czy mogłabym...'
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5069 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 19 of 119
05 January 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
@ tozick
Dziękuję za zastępstwo.

@ Amerykanka

Z polskiej literatury fantasy oprócz książek Sapkowskiego mogę Ci polecić powieści Maji Lidii Kossakowskiej. Jej cykl o aniołach zawiera narazie 3 powiesci: "Żarna Niebios", "Siewca Wiatru", "Zbieracz Burz" (2 tomy)

bibliografia i opisy książek

Pozdrawiam
Gosia

Edited by Gosiak on 05 January 2012 at 4:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 20 of 119
06 January 2012 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
@Mooby, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who takes forever lookong up vocabulary. Learning new
words is so much fun! I too must spend more time on my declensions. I can decline most nouns without
problem, but there are the exceptions (of course!) and then some words are just plain tricky even if they do
follow the rules. Today my tutor and I declined the word hrabia after she listened to me make the same
mistake for the tenth time in a row. I think I understand how to use it now, thank goodness! Right now I am
compiling a list of other similarly confusing words so that I won't be constantly stumbling over them in my
speech.

@tozick, dziękuję za wyjaśnienie i nowe wyrażenia! Muszę je dodać do Anki.

@Gosia, dziękuję za nowe polecenie! Strona internetowa też na pewno mi się przyda, jest na niej tyle
wiadomości o książkach.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5910 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 119
06 January 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Sorry it has taken so long to comment - it looks like you have an excellent beginning here for a new year of Polish. I can't read anything yet so it all looks quite forbidding right now, but that's why I'm here to learn. Like you, I have Polish ancestry and I'm curious to learn more about it. The language looks very cool on the page already, though. Best of luck with your studies and I'll be following along!

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 5069 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 22 of 119
06 January 2012 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
[QUOTE=Amerykanka]
@Gosia, dziękuję za nowe polecenie![QUOTE]

"za nowe sugestie" albo "za nowe sugestie książkowe" ;)
sugestia (sg) - sugestie (pl)

Nie ma za co.

Edited by Gosiak on 06 January 2012 at 6:37pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 23 of 119
07 January 2012 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
@Meramarina, Polish does look kind of forbidding with all the consonant clusters, but like you also
mentioned, it looks really neat. One of my favorite words is ochrzczony (it means baptized), just
because there are six consonants in a row. You would never see that in English!

Good luck with your studies in 2012! I look forward to following your log once you begin it!

@Gosia, dziękuję za poprawkę!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5114 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 24 of 119
10 January 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
Time for another update!

POLISH
I had my meeting with my Polish tutor last week, which was fantastic (as always). I receive few opportunities
to speak Polish, so I always enjoy our conversations. Hopefully I will be able to see her again this week. We
talked a lot about Pan Tadeusz and she corrected some exercises with me, and then we discussed
Polish dialects. There are a couple of readings in one of our books in the different dialects, and my tutor
asked me to read them out loud. It was pretty funny, because I couldn't understand all of the regional words
and then my mouth kept trying to substitute standard Polish for the pronunciation of the different dialects.

Since then I have looked up quite a bit of new vocabulary (at least thirty words, probably more) and reviewed
my Anki deck and some of my newer vocabulary words. As for reading, last week I finished the fifth book of
Pan Tadeusz and today I read five pages of the sixth. I am almost halfway through (yay!) and it is
fantastic!

SPANISH
Today I spent 25 minutes reviewing cards in my Anki deck, and then I did some review exercises in one of
my Practice Makes Perfect books. I also did two really easy exercises on direct object pronouns. Hopefully
tomorrow I will do something more interesting. Today I ran out of time because I spent so much time on
Polish.

LATIN
I started Chapter 16 in Wheelock's. It is about third declension adjectives, which was pretty boring because I
studied them last year using another textbook. Oh, well, review is always good, and I did learn some new
vocabulary. I also did about ten minutes of review in Anki.

WELSH
I did my flashcards yesterday, but I haven't had any time so far today. I think I will at least review my
flashcards, though, since there are only about 30 of them.

This discussion contains 119 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version