learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 441 of 559
21 May 2013 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I found a great site today: How To Study Korean

I stumbled upon it accidentally when I was looking for explanations about the 지+time construction. I found Lesson 30 and it explained not only that but also sentences like "저는 엄마가 뭐 먹은 지 몰라요". I don't think TTMIK has had a lesson about how you should replace 것 with 지 if the sentence contains a question word, and I found this explanation very useful.

I haven't checked out a lot on that site yet and I'm not going to take everything that's there for the absolute truth because the guy who writes the lessons is not a native Korean. But reading grammar explanations from a native English speaker can give a different perspective on a lot of things. And the lessons contain vocabulary lists as well. That's going to be great for my Anki vocabulary deck. I'm looking forward to going through the lessons and seeing what I can pick up that I don't know yet.

And finally:

Quote:
All the ㅊ and ㅈ words drive me nuts.

I couldn't agree more. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with a problem with these words. But Anki will make sure I learn them eventually even if I have to do a hundred repetitions. That's why I love Anki.

Edited by Evita on 21 May 2013 at 12:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 442 of 559
21 May 2013 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
As for getting more done on work days, I even have a favourite line about that:
Kaipaan rajoja, rajat vapauttaa...
:)
1 person has voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 443 of 559
23 May 2013 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
I have sort of studied Korean grammar in the last two days but only passively; I haven't written any new sentences. The end of May is not far off so I need to get down to it. I worked on the grammar part of TOPIK 30 but I didn't finish it yet. For most sentences so far I think I could figure out the correct answer but some left me totally clueless. For example, this one:

10. (3점)

영수 씨의 책이 (...) 것입니까?

① 몇 ② 얼마 ③ 어느 ④ 어떻게

I stared at it for long minutes and couldn't figure out any way it would make sense. Only after I went to Naver I found out that 어느 것 means "which one". I hadn't encountered this expression before.

Another one that's giving me trouble is this one:

19. (3점)

가: 내일 저녁에 뭐 할 거예요?
나: 민수 씨하고 회의 준비를 (...).

① 하지 않아요 ② 하기로 했어요 ③ 한 적 없어요 ④ 한 것 같았어요

I would have expected the answer to be in the future tense but there's no such option. They're trying to confuse the poor exam takers, ha. Well, my best guess is option 3 even though I don't know the '적' construction very well as there has been no TTMIK lesson on it. I suppose the correct answers are available somewhere in the package that I downloaded so I'll look them up once I finish the exam.

As for the new website I discovered, I did the first lesson and I have mixed thoughts about it. On the plus side, the explanations are quite good and succinct (which I appreciate). On the down side (and it's a pretty big downside), some of the things in the lesson are not quite correct. For example, the guy writes that particle 는 is used after subjects. It's not exactly wrong but it's misleading because it can also be used after other words in the sentence. So overall I think new Korean learners are better off with TTMIK, if for no other reason than TTMIK lessons are in podcast format. Also the TTMIK lessons do a lot more hand-holding and introduce new stuff very slowly at the beginning. When I think about it now, the first 10 or so lessons seem ridiculously easy but it sure didn't feel that way when I was studying them for the first time. The first lesson on the new website throws so much stuff at you that I would have been totally overwhelmed. But that's why I like it now - it moves at a fast pace and it discusses a lot more grammar theory than TTMIK does. For example, the guy makes it clear that 이다 is neither a verb, nor an adjective, but it acts like an adjective. I hadn't thought about it before. TTMIK doesn't mention 이다 at all, it only mentions 이에요 and 예요. In fact, it took me ages to realize that they're forms of 이다.

Haksaeng
Korea, South
Joined 6141 days ago

166 posts - 250 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 444 of 559
23 May 2013 at 12:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi Evita, in #19 above, -기로 했어요 is a grammatical construction that attaches directly to the basic form of the verb, and it means you've made plans or decided to do something. So it looks like it's in the past tense, but it's used to talk about future plans.

I think it's used in situations where you're really committed to doing something. There are other ways to indicate intentions and they all have subtle differences that are not always clear to me yet. But with -기로 했어요,it seems to be used in situations where the future plans are firm. Like when, in English, we say "I'm planning to..." or "I've arranged to..." etc.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 445 of 559
24 May 2013 at 9:32am | IP Logged 
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I checked KGinU 1 when I got home last night and this ending is indeed there. I don't know how I missed it before. It's translated in the book as "I've decided to...".

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 446 of 559
26 May 2013 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I did the Vocabulary & Grammar section of the beginner TOPIK 30 and I got 82 points out of 100. That's a good result. I'll try the writing section next, probably on the next weekend.

This weekend I worked on my sentence deck again, I'm in the middle of adding TTMIK level 3 now. Since the lessons in KGiU are in a totally different order than in TTMIK, I keep a spreadsheet where I note down which KGiU units I've already gone through. Lately I've been alternating between one TTMIK lesson and one KGiU lesson.

I started watching That Winter, the Wind Blows and it reminds me of Nice Guy a lot. The music seems similar and the plot elements as well, not to mention the tone. But maybe it's similar for all melodramas, I don't know, I haven't watched many of them. In any case, this one is good and it's sucking me in. I found the dialogue transcripts for all the episodes so I thought I'd watch an episode and then I'd read it but I guess the reading will have to wait. Ah, it's so refreshing to watch a drama where more than two things happen in an episode (I'm looking at you, LSS).

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6495 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 

Message 447 of 559
29 May 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Winter is a relatively short drama (only 16 episodes) so it won't take me long to finish it even though I'm not marathoning it the way I did with Nice Guy. I wonder if all melodramas are as obsessed with death and suicide as these two.

I did try to read the script for 5 minutes here and there, and it seemed to support my theory that what is holding me back from understanding it is mostly grammar, not vocabulary. That's why I've been working so hard with my two grammar books and various internet resources. The best way for me to learn a grammar point really well is to learn it theoretically first and then keep an eye out for it when watching dramas. If I manage to recognize it a couple of times it does a lot to reinforce this grammar construction in my memory.

I'm happy to report that I'm finally getting comfortable recognizing the -다고 and -라고 constructions. It only took me half a year or so, hehe. It's about time as well because TTMIK level 7 keeps introducing new constructions related to those. This morning I listened to lessons 7x17 and 7x18, they were about -(느)ㄴ대요/-(이)래요 and -(느)ㄴ다던데요/-(이)라던데요. My head was spinning again by the end of that. And, by the way, they still haven't introduced the -던 ending. It's a bit backwards.

It's pretty clear by now that I won't write the 50 sentences for this month's challenge. I wanted to but I discovered that I don't have enough motivation to do that because my main goal is passive knowledge of grammar. I believe that studying it passively a lot will turn it active automatically. Still, I wrote one sentence so that I'd have at least ten:

10) 저는 미국에 가면 적어도 1달은 거기에서 보내고 싶어요. - When I finally go to the US I want to spend at least a month there.

I had written this sentence using -ㄹ 때 but it was corrected like this. I don't get it. The use of 면 vs. 때 is one of the big mysteries for me in Korean. Maybe only a lot of practice will fix that.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4575 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 448 of 559
29 May 2013 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm not a 100% sure, but for this example, I think the 면 is being used because of the
lack of precision. You don't know when you will go there.
In general, 때 is used to say "when" in cases where you actually could precise "when" that
took/will take place. 면 is used to say "if" (as you know) and "when" when you can't
precise anything.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 559 messages over 70 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version