76 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 9 10 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 76
25 December 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I don't think we should continue. It's time for a fresh start, and it would be very discouraging for the new people joining to see that most have 20+ items and some have much more than this.

Edited by Serpent on 25 December 2013 at 11:08pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4476 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 42 of 76
26 December 2013 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I don't think we should continue. It's time for a fresh start, and it would be very discouraging for the new people joining to see that most have 20+ items and some have much more than this.

I am only competing against myself, so I can't see how it could be demotivating. People are delusional if they think I am not going to continue to count the 10k pages I've already read toward my personal challenge.

Isn't the whole idea of stars that you can continue to accumulate them? I don't see the point that we reset things every time we get to 4-stars or whatever. Or is the plan only to reset the stars this once so others can catch up?

Edited by patrickwilken on 26 December 2013 at 2:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 76
26 December 2013 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
The plan is to count each challenge from scratch, just like the 6WC or Tadoku. You can of course keep track of your totals, but please don't submit whatever you read between January 1st and the new starting date.

edit: i wouldn't mind having the all-time stats though. But they should not count for the ranking and I think it's better if they're only available from each individual page (ie no Big Total Table).

Edited by Serpent on 26 December 2013 at 2:39am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4832 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 44 of 76
26 December 2013 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
I think I see the difference here.

For me this challenge was never about the ranking, or who was in the lead. It was, can
I really read x amount of pages in 20 months?

I did in French. I only made it to 7.4 books in Spanish. That's ok, I don't even
consider that a fail. It's more that: now I know the commitment level I need to bring
my Spanish up. I would have certainly ranked higher if I could have combined the
totals of both, but I wouldn't have learned as much. There's a deep and fundamental
difference between reading 10000 pages in one language versus reading 10000 pages in
all languages combined.

I have major wanderlust. There was something unique for me about maintaining a focus on
one language for so long. That would have been lost if it were just a personal
challenge, or if everything in every language had counted.

We don't want to set people up for failure, but it's nice to have higher-level goals
that you need to work for. It's not really a challenge otherwise. It's just another
thing we do. And if you don't succeed one year, there's always the next.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 45 of 76
26 December 2013 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And what do you think of the idea of just making all your reading count, if you prefer? As I said, I hate having to choose between what counts and what's better for my studies. I'm going to read a small amount of Spanish for example, and an even smaller amount of Romanian. I can totally make them count by signing up with them and being waaay too far from the official goal, but why not just let them count? Maybe a miscellaneous category for all languages in which you don't plan to read all that much?

I mean I don't think especially reading is such a big problem for wanderlusters? Wanderlust normally happens due to an addiction to the beginner stage where progress is so swift... and if someone is wanderlustful (?) enough to start reading in a new language, surely it's not a bad thing?

So if you want to wanderlust, go wanderlust. You don't need to count it for a challenge. Do it during the 6WC, then you can count it. :D

I thought the whole purpose of the Super Challenge was to challenge yourself to make huge strides in a particular language. Doesn't "counting everything" kind of defeat the purpose of trying to complete a SUPER CHALLENGE in one or two languages?

kanewai wrote:
For me this challenge was never about the ranking, or who was in the lead. It was, can
I really read x amount of pages in 20 months?

I did in French. I only made it to 7.4 books in Spanish. That's ok, I don't even
consider that a fail. It's more that: now I know the commitment level I need to bring
my Spanish up. I would have certainly ranked higher if I could have combined the
totals of both, but I wouldn't have learned as much. There's a deep and fundamental
difference between reading 10000 pages in one language versus reading 10000 pages in
all languages combined.

That's how I feel, too. Only I did it for Spanish this time and I'm saving French for the next round. :)

emk wrote:
So that's my two cents, for whatever it might be worth: one star for every
2,500 pages and 50 hours of active listening,

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) this idea.

Serpent wrote:
The plan is to count each challenge from scratch, just like the 6WC or Tadoku. You can of course keep track of your totals, but please don't submit whatever you read between January 1st and the new starting date..

If we are doing another 20 month challenge (2014-15), I will be starting in January, and I will count anything I do four the first four months of the year. I understand the whole "don't want it to be another failed new year resolution" and the whole "20 months" thing and whatever, but some people might not want to wait. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. But I have no problem with it "officially" starting in May.

I'm a rebel. Sue me. :D

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5902 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 46 of 76
26 December 2013 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Counting hours watching movies/TV programs, and counting pages read will work for me.....especially since some books are not interesting enough to completely read from front to back. I'm unable to hit the challenge's target number of pages read but being in the challenge still helps.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 47 of 76
26 December 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
So if you want to wanderlust, go wanderlust. You don't need to count it for a challenge. Do it during the 6WC, then you can count it. :D
I don't wanderlust. I just want to read whenever it's beneficial for my learning. You don't need to read 2500 pages to start benefitting. For me it's much better than claiming to have a goal when I really don't. Or when my goal is really small, like 1000 pages. Although I don't think I'll read even 1000 in Romanian.

Kerrie, kanewai, I just don't understand how it affects you? You will focus on the languages you sign up with. So will I, really. This doesn't mean that the languages in which I'm not gonna read 2500 pages deserve to suffer, especially as some official participants will read less total than I will in these languages.

IDK, I spend so much time on languages that for me the challenges are ways to make specific things important. Spending the time is a given, the challenge just answers the question how.

BTW if there's a "Misc" treated as a separate language, I don't mind getting no shiny stars for reading a total of 2500 pages in Spanish, Karelian, Romanian and Ukrainian. I'm fine with any solution that counts them for the stats without forcing me to lie about my goals.

I just treat this seriously. I care about this way more than I care about my uni. If it's no big deal for you, why care about what I do?

As for the new challenge, surrealix won't be around and the majority seems to want at least some time off. I don't see it starting from January.

Edited by Serpent on 26 December 2013 at 10:48am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4476 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 48 of 76
26 December 2013 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Kerrie, kanewai, I just don't understand how it affects you?

But I could say the same thing about starting in January not May or whenever... If we are counting stars and you want to start in May and I and others in January, why can't we start when we want, and you when you want?

Yes, it's true you'll probably end up with less stars, but that's your choice isn't it?

---------

WRT counting a mish-mash of languages all towards one star or not I am bit ambiguous. I benefited a lot from focusing all my energy towards one language this year, and I do think that was the original intention of the challenge. I think one problem we had with the last challenge was that everyone wanted to align all their private study schedules with the challenge (so we ended up with writing, speaking etc challenges).

Edited by patrickwilken on 26 December 2013 at 11:17am

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version