Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 17 of 706
28 August 2012 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
As far as HP goes, the story is the same in Japanese as in English, so if you don't like it in English, you won't like it in Japanese.

I must admit that I have never read HP. I am probably judging the book based on the movies, which I could never stay awake for. The books might be better than the movies, right? I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

iguanamon wrote:
I see you are getting a good start on Portuguese with DLI, kuji. I think I jumped in at volume 4, so the drills were more helpful to me at that point. You're right, they are boring but do serve a purpose, especially when you get to verb conjugations. Thanks for the tip on Marcelo D2!

Yeah, you are probably right. It was pretty easy for me to pick up how to conjugate and use ser, but as I get more into the language the drills may become more useful. No problem about Marcelo D2. Thanks for the links!

Expugnator wrote:
Kuji, what we usually have are radios that play MPB and which reserve part of their schedule to samba programs. MPB is not technically a genre, it has a lot of samba, bossa-nova and plain singers-songwriters with no specific genre.

Thank you, Expugnator. I only knew about bossa-nova and samba before now, but as I explore the Internet, I'm discovering how many varieties of Brazilian music there are. It's very exciting! Thanks for the links!

I'm amazed. The support I'm getting for Portuguese makes me happy and encouraged. Thank you all.

ZombieKing wrote:
Hi Kuji! I hope you can continue working hard and improve your Japanese :)

Have you considered making your own readers? As in, picking a text on your computer, an ebook, article, whatever, and turning that into a reader?

What I do for Chinese is, I use perapera Chinese (You have perapera Japanese right? If not, check it out it's awesome), and in perapera, there is a function that allows you to save words you come across (in Chinese or Japanese) into a wordlist that you can copy and paste into a word processor like microsoft word. I'm reading the little prince right now, and everytime I come across a word I can't read, I hover over it and press "S", and I keep doing this until I've added all unknown words into my word list. Then I print off both that page of the book, as well as my vocab list. The vocab list (for Japanese) shows you the English meaning, the hiragana and the Kanji btw. Then I just study from it as I would from a normal reader.

Maybe doing this will allow you to tackle more interesting and difficult texts?

Thanks, ZombieKing. Despite my newfound interest in Portuguese, I will strive not to neglect my Japanese studies. :)

Whoa, I didn't know about perapera. I will check it out. Thank you! The problem with reading actual books is that it takes so much time to look up unknown kanji. This method sounds much better.

atama warui wrote:
Look, this is me on Lang-8. I usually try to wrap up what shows I've been watching, sometimes describing the shows or how I used them for my learning.
As this is somewhat "bigger", I do lyrics translations into Japanese in the meantime to not get too much distance from the site, and to correct a few entries myself, just for the 人間関係 aspect. This is pretty important I think. You want to somehow find some friends to exchange corrections with, as people who stick with you slowly get a feel for your level, your weaknesses, and people who like you are more inclined to explain their corrections or answer questions.

Thank you for the tips, atama warui. This is very helpful. (ugh... I hate how this website garbles Japanese.) I think using lang-8 will be the next thing for me to improve on concerning my Japanese studies. It is such a useful tool.

Again, seriously to all, thank you for your advice and suggestions. This helps me to stay motivated. I hope I can help you out in some way as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4471 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 18 of 706
28 August 2012 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Definitely do check out perapera! It's the best popup dictionary for Chinese and Japanese you'll find for free. I don't think I would make as fast of progress if I didn't have access to this tool.

If you use firefox, you can just download it in the addons section. I'm not sure what other browsers it supports though.

About Lang8, are you already using it now? I'm trying to decide how I should go about it. For German for example, I feel like if I tried to write first in German, my lack of active vocabulary would hold me back from expressing what I want, and I'd end up producing very basic and boring texts. But what if I write first in English, and then translate to German, after searching up all words I don't know? Are there any downsides to doing so?

How do you get around having a lack of vocabulary in Japanese? I'd imagine your passive vocabulary is stronger than your active one?

Edited by ZombieKing on 28 August 2012 at 5:55am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 19 of 706
28 August 2012 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
ZombieKing wrote:
About Lang8, are you already using it now? I'm trying to decide how I should go about it. For German for example, I feel like if I tried to write first in German, my lack of active vocabulary would hold me back from expressing what I want, and I'd end up producing very basic and boring texts. But what if I write first in English, and then translate to German, after searching up all words I don't know? Are there any downsides to doing so?

How do you get around having a lack of vocabulary in Japanese? I'd imagine your passive vocabulary is stronger than your active one?

I do use Lang-8, although I haven't written in it for a couple of weeks now. My lack of active vocabulary does hold me back. What I do is write something on paper at first (because my computer time is limited... probably because I spend too much time in HTLAL... but you can do this directly into Lang-8), and I substitute English for anything I can't express in Japanese. Then I look those words up and gradually replace the English with Japanese. (For Japanese, they have a somewhat useful dictionary right there on the website under the box you write your entry in.) Then I post the entry and wait for corrections.

That seems to work for me, because I can find new and useful vocabulary that way. But the whole process is so tedious. You need time to write, then you need time to look up words, then you need time to rewrite the English parts into your TL, then you need to note and study the corrections. On top of that, proper etiquette requires you to spend time correcting others' mistakes as well. I honestly do not see how people can write in Lang-8 every day.

Me? I limit a Lang-8 writing to one per week. Once I start writing, I tend to write a lot. So it takes time to type out what I write. It's better to spread that out over a few days. Then I also have a day or two to help others.

I think it is important to try to use the German that you know for expressing ideas in writing, to give your "active mind" some practice, rather than translating from English. Of course, if you hardly know any vocabulary, you will probably have to translate anyway. And don't be afraid to write boring, basic texts; the people there are friendly and will correct anything.

Edited by kujichagulia on 28 August 2012 at 6:54am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6564 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 20 of 706
28 August 2012 at 6:48am | IP Logged 
The Harry Potter movies and the books are very different. When I watched the movies, I often wondered if someone who'd never read the books would even be able to understand them. There was so much left out or covered in such a superficial manner, that I thought it would be hard even to understand the story. I don't know if having watched the movies first will have ruined you for the books though.

I've never tried perapera but there is also this other pop-up dictionary for Firefox, Rikaisama. It's what I use. It gives pop-up definitions with audio. You just hold the mouse over the word to get the definition and then press F is you want to hear the word. I've been told that the voices are from Jpod101. I don't know if it's better than perapera though since I've never tried that one.

When writing for lang-8, I usually make some kind of mind-map or outline so I have an overview of what I want to write about. Then I write in Japanese. I always have to look up a lot of words and even grammar, but I think it is better to write directly in Japanese rather than writing in a language I know well and then translating. I also write by hand to get practice writing kanji, and sometimes I have to look those up too, but I think it is better to write by hand because it forces you to start remembering what the right kanji is in each word and how to write it. If you write directly on the computer, you only have to pick out the right kanji from a list and that doesn't help develop your active knowledge as much, I think. Once I'm finished writing by hand, I type it up, usually discovering and correcting some of my mistakes while doing so. Finally I translate it to English so that people can figure out what I really meant in the places where it doesn't make sense.

2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 21 of 706
28 August 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
As per ZombieKing's suggestion, I downloaded the Firefox plugin Perapera. It seems quite similar to a plugin I already have, Rikaichan. They both work the same way, as a popup dictionary.

They both also have a function for copying and saving words and definitions that one comes across when reading, but I was surprised to see that Perapera's Wordlist function works well for me. With Rikaichan, you have to go into the Options, then manually set which text file you would like to copy your words into, for importing later into Anki. This is no problem if you do all of your work at one computer. But for me, I often work at various computers at my workplace. I have a portable version of Firefox on my USB drive, and it's a pain to go into Rikaichan and change the file path when the drive letter changes.   With Perapera, it saves words into a list right there in the browser. When I want to export the list, the menu is right there in the browser. I choose where to save the file, and BAM! It's on my drive and ready for import into Anki.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 22 of 706
28 August 2012 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I've never tried perapera but there is also this other pop-up dictionary for Firefox, Rikaisama. It's what I use. It gives pop-up definitions with audio. You just hold the mouse over the word to get the definition and then press F is you want to hear the word. I've been told that the voices are from Jpod101. I don't know if it's better than perapera though since I've never tried that one.

Brun Ugle, I tried downloading rikaisama before, but (1) I don't think I installed it well, and (2) I'm not sure where to find the dictionary files. Maybe the software has improved since then. I'll try it again when I have time.

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4471 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 23 of 706
28 August 2012 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
I'm glad you like perapera and find it works well for you!

As for the suggestions you both gave for writing in Lang-8, I think you're right... I should probably write directly in German...

Well, I actually just finished my first text, but I did it the translating way. Next time I'll try and write it in German from the start. Yikes :P

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4791 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 

Message 24 of 706
03 September 2012 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
KUJI'S WEEK IN REVIEW: 26 August - 1 September 2012

JAPANESE
When I (re)started my language log, I set a goal of finishing one chapter of my textbook An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese every two weeks. Right out of the gate, I've already missed one deadline. I did not do any textbook work at all this past week. Late July and most of August is summer vacation time at the high school where I work, so I had a bit of free time every day at work. I, uh, went to school on IAIJ during that time. (I'm very sorry for the terrible pun.) However, summer vacation is now over and the students are back for the second term, and I took IAIJ home. Unfortunately I get easily distracted in my small condominium. With the computer and the TV and my wife and my rabbit... it's hard to sit down and quietly study. (AUTHOR'S NOTE: Actually, I did do some IAIJ study at home yesterday, finally beating the distractions, but, being Sunday the 2nd of September, that didn't fall into the time period listed at the beginning of this post.)

Despite that, I did do some studying (and enjoyed it more). I watched some Japanese dramas with my wife, and I read some articles on the Internet. I've kept up with my podcasts, too. And of course Anki was done with no problem.

So... It wasn't a bad week at all, really. I guess I just want to finish IAIJ so bad and get rid of it that I get disappointed when I don't do any work in it. But the point should be to study Japanese everyday, no matter the method. In that sense, it was a successful week.

PORTUGUESE
A couple of weeks ago, I browsed through both FSI Portuguese Programmatic and DLI Portuguese Basic, and decided on the DLI course. However, after doing the first two chapters of DLI, early last week I looked at the FSI course and found it was more to my liking. Sure, I don't get the nice grammar notes and verb conjugation tables that DLI provides in every chapter, but FSI does focus a lot on pronunciation drills and speaking fluency while slowly introducing vocabulary, at least at the beginning. It wasn't a factor in my decision to switch, but I also found that I can copy and paste phrases to Anki. So I'm going with FSI for now. Of course, I reserve the right to switch back to DLI at any time. :)

The only other thing I did with Portuguese last week was listen to some bossa nova on my iPod and some radio on the Internet.

This discussion contains 706 messages over 89 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version