246 messages over 31 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 24 ... 30 31 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 185 of 246
26 April 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
TBH I genuinely think that there's such a thing as an input/time ratio that is too high. For example I never read 10k pages in Finnish (I definitely did 5k though). Yet I passed the C1 exam 3 years ago. I basically think that frequency and consistency are more important than the actual volume of reading.

You know, I've started to think of that in terms of HP houses :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 186 of 246
26 April 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 

Kerrie wrote:
This is my opinion, and my opinion only. I don't want to argue about it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 187 of 246
26 April 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
I'm not arguing :-)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 188 of 246
27 April 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
Well, for someone who logged 300 pages of spam in Italian, 400 pages of spam in German, 600 pages of spam in Portuguese, and more than half of your Croatian reading as subs for Disney movies (counted twice of course, since you also listed them under audio for a second language) ...

I'll stick with my opinions. I have a lot of respect for you when it comes to your language ability, but not so much when it comes to your unnerving obsession to beat everyone by any (often marginally ethical) way possible, your irrational, impetulant need to scream your opinion over everyone else, or your incessant badgering of anyone and everyone to conform to your way of thinking and doing things.

Everyone knows what you think - you beat us over the head with it (multiple times in multiple threads, over and over again). The vast majority of people are sick and tired of it, myself included. I don't want that here. No one says anything to you, because all you do is get riled up and fight harder, and people are sick of it. Instead of bringing a negative perspective to a conversation, bring something positive.

This is my log. I love when people come by and read what I have to say, and love it even more when someone has something to add. Whether it's motivating, supportive, offering a little bit of wisdom about this or that - I eat that stuff up.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Your opinions are rarely that, though.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 189 of 246
27 April 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Constructive criticism is always welcome. Your opinions are rarely that, though.

I wasn't criticizing anything though. It's you who gets aggressive over the smallest things I say.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 190 of 246
27 April 2014 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
... I never read 10k pages in Finnish ... I basically think that frequency and consistency are more important than the actual volume of reading.

Serpent wrote:
I wasn't criticizing anything though.

Maybe I misunderstood. It sounded to me like you were criticizing my decision to read more. I can definitely see your point, though. If I were to actually read 1300 pages of spam, I would probably not see the value in reading much either!

Edited by Kerrie on 27 April 2014 at 3:15am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 191 of 246
27 April 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
1500+ pages are not that much over the course of a year, and it was actually fun :-) And of course I believe in the power of reading. That's why I do the SC and Tadoku :) I just suspect that diminishing returns come into play.

Edited by Serpent on 27 April 2014 at 3:55am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5338 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 192 of 246
27 April 2014 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure diminishing returns come into play, when you already speak 5 languages and are studying 14.

However, that's not me.

I'm going to take a break from this forum for a few months. I know Serpent isn't the only one who reads my log, but I feel like every time I post something relatively interesting, my whole log is derailed by someone who thinks their opinion needs to be heard louder than mine. On multiple occasions in the past, I've even asked moderators to delete a string of unnecessary and non-productive posts.

I will be working on the Super Challenge once it starts next week. I apologize to all my TAC teammates.

Go ahead and have the last word, Serpent. It's all yours.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version