flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5143 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 33 of 60
14 August 2013 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
- What a nicely detailed response; thanks!   That French pun was pretty funny, too.

And Drummondville: I'm trying to remember - isn't there a "Paul" (from Michel Rabagliati's BDs) connection
with Drummondville? - Was his father-in-law based there?

By the way, I commissioned a friend who was visiting Montreal to pick up a "Paul" shopping bag for me:
http://www.michelrabagliati.com/Cossins.html,
available from Renaud-Bray. (I exercised restraint and didn't ask for "Paul" chocolate bars.)

1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4362 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 34 of 60
14 August 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Glad you appreciate it. I've only read one of the Paul BD's (paul a un travail d'été), and his father in law wasn't even in
it so i'm not sure. But it's possible!

And yeah, those bags are pretty cool... but i definitely would have asked for Paul chocolate!

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4405 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 35 of 60
14 August 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like a great trip. When people are switching to English, do not hesitate to ask them to switch back to French. In most cases, they only do that to accomodate you and will not mind switching back. I have watched the 1st season of Isabel and quite enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the next season.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4362 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 36 of 60
22 August 2013 at 6:01am | IP Logged 
It's true, i should have been more determined to practice my french. I'm sure they would have switched back if i was
persistent. And yes, i've only watched one Isabel episode but so far it's pretty interesting!

Quick update on FINNISH! : i haven't done as much studying as i wanted to these past two weeks, and consequently
am very low on the 6WC scoreboard (although my overall score is starting to make a comeback). however, i went
over to my grandma's (native finn) house last night and she asked me how my finnish was going. i spouted off some
phrases and random vocabulary that was around us at the time, and she was impressed. it really wasn't much, but
that's how grandmas are i guess, and it was very encouraging to see how excited she was about it =) now i'm even
more motivated to get cracking on this!

Oh, and super challenge update: i've just finished reading Therese Raquin in french, and picked up my Spanish harry
potter book from the library today so i'm set for a bit. But looking at the stats on my page, there is almost no way
that i'll finish in time, realistically speaking. I have to read 600 pages and watch 6 movies each week!

Edited by Emily96 on 22 August 2013 at 6:04am

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4405 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 

Message 37 of 60
06 September 2013 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
That's quite impressive. Zola is not particularly easy to read.

I am glad I only registered for the half challenge, I only have 35 movies to go. That's a bit more than one "long" episode of a TV serie or movie every 4 days or one short episode every 2 days. Maybe you can downgrade your own challenge ? 600 pages AND 6 movies per week does sound impossible.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4362 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 38 of 60
11 September 2013 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
That's quite impressive. Zola is not particularly easy to read.

I am glad I only registered for the half challenge, I only have 35 movies to go. That's a bit more than one "long"
episode of a TV serie or movie every 4 days or one short episode every 2 days. Maybe you can downgrade your own
challenge ? 600 pages AND 6 movies per week does sound impossible.

Thanks! And yeah, i've decided that i'm not going to finish the Italian part of the super challenge. I've kind of fallen
out of love and would prefer to focus on french and Spanish. Even that is going to be a stretch because at the
moment i'm waiting for a book i ordered so i have no reading material and i've been rather busy with no time left at
the end of the day to watch movies. Plus my french tv show got taken down from the RadioCanada website! I don't
know what to do.

I guess I have a lot of updating to do. The last few days have been super busy and i think i'm not going to be able to
log anymore time for the 6WC. I did horribly target language wise, at least compared to the other rounds i've
participated in, but it was really fun juggling 4 different languages so that my pie chart was always divided into
perfect quarters. In order to do that i had to log the same amount of time per language each day, which was actually
pretty motivating. If i spent 90 minutes reading in Spanish, i had to balance it out with 90 minutes in finnish! I had a
few really good days like that, with 6 hours spent on languages.

Finnish is still in the honeymoon stage, although i haven't been studying as much as i would have liked to. I also
didn't get much done from my august to do list. However, i've been re evaluating my language goals and have
decided that Italian and portuguese are not too high on my priority list. They're kind of just there for comparison
and to be revived if i'm lucky enough to travel to one of those countries. French and Spanish are the ones that i hope
to take far. i'm in the french higher level class at school, and i think i'll get a lot out of it since there are only 13 of
us! On the other hand, i really miss my teacher from last year. This one is going to take some getting used to. As for
spanish, i've been accepted as a peer tutor for the intensive class at my school, which means i'll get to keep
everything that i've learned fresh in my mind as well as try some teaching. I love the teacher for that class. He uses
spanish way more than my own teacher did and i am pleased to see that i can always follow the instructions he gives
the class as well as any conversation that he starts with me. Even better - he speaks french too! Our conversations
generally start in Spanish, with English words thrown in if he thinks i don't understand, and examples in french
when he can't think of a good one in English. I love switching languages all the time and it's great to have someone
who will actually be able to follow. However, i've noticed that i get the most interference (french words creeping into
my Spanish) when i'm speaking. I think i'll be able to sort that out with a few weeks of practice.

I think that's all for now. I have to stop anyways because i have things to do before bed. Maybe if i'm lucky i can
throw in a few minutes of finnish?!

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4405 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 

Message 39 of 60
11 September 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
That sounds great.

While you are waiting for your books, you can always check library books, books that are available for free online (I can give you some links if you want) or other websites such as Veinte Mundos (short articles in Spanish with audio).

I don't know what your French TV show was but I have recently watched season 1 of Les Revenants and I quite enjoyed it. There are only 8 episodes of 52 minutes though and then we have to wait a full year before season 2. A few other shows ere suggested here and on another forum; I have not tried them yet but I can tell you the titles if you'd like.

Edited by Tsopivo on 11 September 2013 at 6:35am

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4362 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 40 of 60
12 September 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
The book i'm waiting for is actually being ordered from another library, since mine doesn't have anything but picture
books in Spanish. I've tried Veinte Mundos a few times but it's never really clicked for me. However, I am definitely
interested in free online books!

I was watching 30 vies, and although i can find other seasons online, i can't find the one that i'm in the middle of.
It's very disappointing. I think i'll have to move on. I'm planning to start watching Les Parents, and i'll check out the
show you recommended. A short season would be good for me because I can finish it quickly before my motivation
runs out! Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

Side note: just found out that the Spanish teacher has also dabbled in portuguese. this just keeps getting better and
better.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version