PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6846 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 25 of 89
26 January 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
the problem is that i would need TWO target languages :) I don't want either of them to be as (un)important as the easy options like Spanish or Italian

I think I'm not going to succeed in convincing you :) but you can have two target languages in 6WC, at least unofficially. That's what I did the last time, having one 'official' target and another target language which wasn't 6WC-eligible but had a high priority for me.

It's nice to be competitive and get to the top 10 in your target language (My first 6WC with Dutch, where I logged 20 hours of TL only was fun. My last 6WC with Swedish where I got to top 5 was sooooo much more fun ;)).

However, getting to the top in the total score category and devoting more time to your TL that you would otherwise is not a bad reason to participate in 6WC either. I can understand it may be boring for you though, concerning the number of 6WC you took part in. It's just that I'll miss competing with you ;P
3 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5925 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 26 of 89
26 January 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I've registered for German. Until this last week I haven't really touched it much since the last August 6WC, so although I'm no longer a complete beginner, it's still very much A1-. I want to focus mainly on listening.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4832 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 27 of 89
27 January 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
In for Spanish. With any luck this will be my last round as a "beginner" ... but we'll
see. It's an epic month at work and socially for me; the 6WC will keep me logging every
day, but not sure yet how competitive I'll be, or whether I'll finally push past B-1.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5825 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 28 of 89
27 January 2013 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
I'll be back in for Korean. Finished 10th in Target Score last challenge with 47 hours and 15 minute, and 63 hours and 20 minutes in total time.   Not concerned with my ranking, but I'll be aiming to beat both of my scores by quite a bit. This time I want 80 hours of target and 100 of total time. I had several real-life events get in the way last time. Unless something suddenly comes up, I'm all clear for awhile with major real life responsibilities.

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4464 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 29 of 89
27 January 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
I registered for Czech for the third time and this time I really want to make a big step
forward. I aim to log 100 hours and apart from a couple of Spanish lessons via Skype and
staying up-to-date with my ANKI Spanish deck, I will exclusively study Czech during those
6 weeks. Last time I gave up the challenge after about three weeks because I was too busy
with other things but this time I'm more motivated than ever :-).

billyshears66
Groupie
United States
Joined 4457 days ago

69 posts - 78 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 30 of 89
27 January 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I'm in. This will be my first 6WC. I just Tweeted my entry for Mandarin. Good luck to
everyone!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6540 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 89
27 January 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
Serpent wrote:
the problem is that i would need TWO target languages :) I don't want either of them to be as (un)important as the easy options like Spanish or Italian

I think I'm not going to succeed in convincing you :) but you can have two target languages in 6WC, at least unofficially. That's what I did the last time, having one 'official' target and another target language which wasn't 6WC-eligible but had a high priority for me.

It's nice to be competitive and get to the top 10 in your target language (My first 6WC with Dutch, where I logged 20 hours of TL only was fun. My last 6WC with Swedish where I got to top 5 was sooooo much more fun ;)).

However, getting to the top in the total score category and devoting more time to your TL that you would otherwise is not a bad reason to participate in 6WC either. I can understand it may be boring for you though, concerning the number of 6WC you took part in. It's just that I'll miss competing with you ;P
no, it's not boring... as i said i'm also tired of logging everything i do. and i'll be in Finland when the challenge begins so i don't want to bother especially there :D

I've also done this unoficially, I think I logged more Portuguese than TL with all langs apart from Polish. But now I have two eligible langs that I want to improve. Let's compete in team viking instead:)

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6846 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 32 of 89
27 January 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
no, it's not boring... as i said i'm also tired of logging everything i do.

OK, you're excused ;). I have to admit that I was really relieved in the end of the last 6WC. Not because I wouldn't study as much (I continued in a similar pace) but because I didn't have to log all my activities...

I still hope you'll change your mind, though. Enjoy your stay in Finland! (You're going there for how long?)

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version