brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4105 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 337 of 384
06 September 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Hope your dog gets better soon. I tore my ACL a long time ago, but I had the benefit of crutches. I would sometimes have relapses for years later, but I think that it's pretty much healed now.

I never thought about taking a Coursera course in Spanish. There's one on Egyptology that sounds interesting, but I'm moving to Colorado soon, so I don't really want to start anything like that right now. Thanks for pointing out the resource though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5389 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 338 of 384
07 September 2014 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I finished Percy Jackson 5!

I feel so free!!!!

Overall, I liked the series. The author obviously did his research, and I loved all of the
Greek gods, monsters and
heroes. That said, by the fourth book, it really started to feel like an "and then..." story.
You know the kind: action
scene after action scene, "and then... and then... and then...". Also, I found the
dream/vision sequences a bit
tedious. The series was first-person and Percy had a pretty strong voice. I found it a bit
lazy to constantly have
him dreaming about what was happening to other people and getting "big reveals".

Still, the story was engaging. I'm really glad that I read it.

And I'm really glad that I'm finished!

When I read that post, I couldn't help but immediately think of a quote from Khatzumoto
(All Japanese All The Time) that I saw a few months ago and has completely stuck with me
ever since:

"If you're proud of yourself for getting through so many pages, then it's a bad book. You
shouldn't be proud of getting through the book, you should be feeling bad that you're
running out of book."

I've read the articles on his site plenty of times which frequently reiterate that your
foreign language media has to be fun (or at least not boring) or you'll stop doing it, but
that never really clicked until I saw it worded the way it was in the quote above.

Now I'm not saying that you didn't find the Percy Jackson series interesting, but that fact
that you were "happy to finish it" seems to imply you weren't enjoying yourself as you
might have been were you reading something else. ;)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6451 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 339 of 384
07 September 2014 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
IDK, that's one of the few AJATT things that never resonated with me. Even in an enjoyable book, I find it relieving to finish a page, chapter and eventually the whole book.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5389 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 340 of 384
07 September 2014 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
Granted there is definitely a sense of accomplishment in finishing something (which can
be a worthwhile reward in and of itself), but when you truly get addicted to something it
really can feel more disappointing than satisfying to finish it.

Case in point: When I get *really* hooked on a TV show (specifically one that I found out
about well after it started airing), that fact is always very obvious to me because when I
watch through all the past episodes and catch up to realtime, I'm thoroughly
disappointed because I want to keep going but circumstances prevent me from doing so
(i.e. there aren't any more episodes to watch yet).

Of course that doesn't mean that *everything* you watch, read, etc. has to be an
addiction on that scale necessarily (otherwise you are needlessly limiting your pool of
media sources), but when you do find one of those resources the motivation problem just
solves itself (which is why I believe Khatz so highly encourages people to find those
addictive resources).

In fact, I was part of Team Lobo this year (which is actually why I'm following this log) but
very recently I sidelined Spanish again. The main reason was that nothing had quite
hooked me the way that various sources in Korean had in the past (and continue to do
so now), so I lost motivation to keep spending time learning Spanish. On the other hand,
not long afterward I got majorly addicted to a Japanese TV show which has me spending
crazy amounts of time with Japanese lately. If I had come across something that
addictive in Spanish earlier this year, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd still be
learning it right now.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4476 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 341 of 384
07 September 2014 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Hope your dog's injury is not too serious. Maybe you could try reading aloud to him (in Spanish or Tagalog) and he'd find your voice soothing plus you'd get in a little language practice. Perhaps it sounds silly, but years ago I had a cat with a serious illness, and yes I did read aloud to her and she would fall asleep.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4105 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 342 of 384
07 September 2014 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
I think that there's "glad to be done" on both ends of the spectrum. For the books that aren't as good, there's a sense of accomplishment and glad to be done and glad to move on to something else.

On the other end of the spectrum... when you find the super addicting books, you're glad to be done because now you can finally stop obsessing about it. That was me and Divergent (although I hated the ending). It took me a few days to read the first 100 pages or so, but once I really started to get into it, I read the entire set (about 1500 pages) in two days. Plus, when I was at work and couldn't read, I was thinking about it while I was working. I was glad to finish it to know what happened.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5389 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 343 of 384
07 September 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
True. With a book (or movie or a TV series that has already ended), there is definitely a
sense of "relief" to have the story line complete. I hadn't really thought of that aspect of
it since most of my addictions have been to TV series that were ongoing (and they are
usually variety shows so they don't have story arcs to close out). The rare times I've
gotten hooked on a drama though, there was a bit of "relief" to be done with it so I have
the complete story.

I did note shortly after the post I quoted that it seems her description of reading Hunger
Games seems more fitting of the "addictive media" scenario, particularly the part where
she notes losing track of time while reading it. Interestingly I have a bilingual copy of
Hunger Games (Korean + English), but never got all that far into the book. The story
seemed like it would be plenty interesting once it got going (though I didn't get far enough
in to really get hooked on the story line), but I think my Korean reading speed at the time
was sapping my motivation to continue. I need to give that book another shot since my
Korean vocabulary and reading speed has continued to increase since I last attempted
it.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5249 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 344 of 384
07 September 2014 at 3:30pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if I would use the word "relief" when finishing a good book, although it sounds like Percy Jackson became a chore for Stelle after awhile. On one hand, if I invest the time to read a book and am a certain way in, I like to finish it - just because I don't like to leave things undone. That's kind of how I felt with the third book in the Divergent trilogy. I had read the first two, the storyline went WAY downhill, and I only finished because #1 I wanted to know what happened, and #2 I wanted to be DONE.

The friend who recommended them to me was smarter. She went on Wikipedia and read about the last book and didn't waste her time. LOL

But, for a really good book (or TV show), there is a sense of accomplishment and completion when you're finished with something. At the same time, it can leave you feeling a bit lost, since you no longer have that story to go back to.

It's really interesting, because my daughter and I was just talking about this last night. She's read the Harry Potter series (twice), and now she just returned to the Hunger Games for the second time. (She's eleven.) Many of us have our "favorite books" (and TV shows), and I liken it to having an old friend that you can always come back to. Sometimes finding new friends is great, and sometimes you want to hang out with the old ones. :D

This discussion contains 384 messages over 48 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version