Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 1 of 72
30 October 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Since I signed up for the 6 Week Challenge starting this Friday, I decided it would be a good idea to log in all of my Irish studies, just so I can track my progress for myself. I have been studying Irish for about a month now, putting in an average of an hour per day. My resources have been the following:

Learning Irish, the classic workhorse. I found a used copy with tapes. Eventually, I'll purchase the version with CDs. This is a very dense, amazing text. What I love best about it is that 1.) Almost all of the audio is only in Irish, 2.) It's never boring, and 3.) It really drills the grammar into your head. Oh, and LOTS of great vocabulary!

Butús Cainte I bought a used copy of the first volume in this series and started it a few days ago. It's great craic and it provides a good break for when Learning Irish gets a little too intensive. I'm trying to work on it every day.

Teach Yourself Irish Grammar I've only had a glimpse at the first few chapters, but it seems like this will come in handy.

I've also got an English-Irish dictionary from An Gúm (I'll have to get the Irish-English volume at some point).

As I said, I've been getting in about an hour of study per day, and I've also been using Anki to review vocabulary from Learning Irish. During the 6 Week Challenge, I am going to do everything I can to get in two hours of study per day. I've been following an AJATT-type philosophy in studying Irish, only watching Irish (or Spanish TV), listening to Irish music/radio as much as possible, etc. With a language like Irish, there's fewer resources than say French or Spanish, but whenever I run out of Irish material I just switch to Spanish. The main thing is that, apart from this site, I try to do as little in English as possible.

For today, I've put in an hour, split between lessons 7 and 8 of Buntús Cainte and finishing up Lesson 13 of Learning Irish. With Ó Siadhail's text, I try to study the grammar points as best I can, and I read and listen to the texts several times, making sure I understand everything and then I work on reading them outloud as best I can.

That's about it for now, I'll try to keep this log updated during the 6 Week Challenge.

Edited by Indíritheach on 22 January 2014 at 4:14pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5245 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 2 of 72
30 October 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Fáilte fellow Irish learner! Studying a smaller language makes you realize just how
little you really need to study a language in terms of resources - it's about the quality
of the study rather than the quantity.

Have you discovered TG Lurgan yet? They're a group of teens who produce Irish covers of
popular songs. They have a YouTube
Channel, a Bandcamp page with lyrics (also check
out Songs in Irish), and a blogger has started
developing lessons based on
the songs.

Good luck!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 3 of 72
30 October 2013 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith 'ad! My daughter is learning Gaeilge along with me, and she loves "Cuir Glaoch Orm B'fhéidir"!

Edited by Indíritheach on 30 October 2013 at 11:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4458 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 4 of 72
30 October 2013 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Fáilte romhat! It's great to see another Irish learner among us. The best of luck with
your studies, I look forward to following your progress!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 5 of 72
01 November 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Dia dhaoibh!

Well, today something pretty cool (for me) happened! I was watching the YouTube video of "Cuir Glaoch Orm B'fhéidir" (Go raibh maith 'ad arís, sctroyenne) and one the lyrics popped up: Ach fós, is tú an té, and I immediatley understood it without having to look up any words. I was very excited...slowly but surely, I'm making some progress here. I managed to get in about an hour of study today, split between Buntús Cainte and Learning Irish. Tomorrow is the start of the 6 Week Challenge. It's going to be hard to squeeze in those extra hours of study at first, but I'm determined!

Edited by Indíritheach on 01 November 2013 at 12:20am

languagenerd09
Triglot
United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4954 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 6 of 72
01 November 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
Dia dhuit!

Good luck in learning Irish, even though I have family who descend from the ROI, I've never tried to learn it.

I wish you all the success!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 7 of 72
01 November 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Today was a good day, I got an hour of study in this morning and another half-hour after work. This morning I worked on both Learning Irish and Buntús Cainte, and this afternoon I reviewed the bits of Learning Irish I'm having trouble with. I still don't feel comfortable with all of the forms of the verb, so I set out to memorizing them. So far I'm pretty good with:

Níl
An bhfuil
Nach bhfuil
Deir sé go bhfuil
Deir sé nach bhfuil

And then the forms táthar, níltear, an bhfuiltear, nach bhfuiltear, etc.

I'm also more comfortable with the past tense: bhí, ni raibh, an raibh, nach raibh and the future: beidh, ní bheidh, an mbeidh, nach mbeidh, , etc.

I need to get the habitual forms down and then I will be caught up with where I am in the text currently.

So far I am really enjoying the 6 Week Challenge, although I have to remember to squeeze in some Spanish during this time...I'm aiming for fluency there, and I don't want to lose any of the progress I've made thus far.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 8 of 72
04 November 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Dia daoibh!

It's been quite a first few days of the 6 Week Challenge, but I'm plugging right along. I'm managing to get in 1:30 to 2 hours a day of Irish studying, not including watching TV and listening to the radio. I've decided that I'm going to review lessons 1-13 of Learning Irish before I go any further, I just want to make sure I get some things down before I get overwhelmed. I'm still supplementing my main course with Buntús Cainte and Teach Yourself Irish Grammar. I've decided that, from now on, whenever I update one of these logs, I'm going to write a little something in my languages so I can get some practice in.

I'm also working on taking my Spanish from an intermediate stage to fluency. I'm on the Lesson 99 of Assimil (this is the active wave) and I'm on lesson 20 of FSI Spanish Basic Course. Since I'm focusing more on Irish for the next 6 weeks, I'm only getting in about an hour a day of Spanish study.

SP:

Soy un adicto, no puedo pasar ni un día sin mirar un episodio de Águila roja. Estoy mirando la cuarta temporada en Hulu Latino y es mi serie favorita del momento. Por lo menos, es buen práctico, pero necesito leer y hablar más. También estoy leyendo (y casi he acabado con) Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal. A veces miro Viaje a las estrellas doblada en castellano, pero el audio no es de buena calidad.

IR:

Tá an aismir go dona anseo. Bhí sé go deas inné, ach inniu tá sé dorcha agus tá gaoth ann. Níl mé cinnte, ach sílim go mbeidh báisteach ann amáireach, is dócha. Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge, ach nil mo chuid Gaeilge go maith fós. B'fhéidir go mbeidh mo chuid Gaeilge go maith an mhí seo chugainn! Ó! Agus tá m'inín ag foghlaim Gaeilge freisin!

Edited by Indíritheach on 04 November 2013 at 11:52pm

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version