72 messages over 9 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 8 9 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4549 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 72
05 November 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
I've never used 'Learning Irish' but from the samples I've seen as well as word of mouth,
I gather it's a very thorough course. Two questions:

-Is there many grammatical exercises to practice the teaching points?
-How is the audio quality? Is it all Irish or does it have those pesky English
introductions so typical of language courses?

P.S That's good Irish you've written there, well done! Just two things (though I suspect
they're typos) - níl with a fada and iníon with an o.

Keep up the good work!
1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3990 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 10 of 72
05 November 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
@ liammcg

The book is broken up into 36 lessons. Each lessons starts with a long vocabulary list (which are recorded for pronunciation practice), a grammar secion, texts (which are recorded), and exercises. Most of the exercises are translating from Irish into English, so yes, there's a bit of practice to really drill the grammatical points into your head. Not as much as I would like...there are probably between 10 and 15 questions each lesson. That's why I'm supplementing with Teach Yourself Irish Grammar And yes, it's VERY thorough...this course literally covers just about everything. I suspect it will take me at least 5 months to work through the book the first time, and I'm sure I'll refer back to it for years to come.

Re the audio: I only have the cassette tapes, so of course they're not great quality, but the recording themselves are WONDERFUL. The only English on the tapes is a voice introducing the text "Lesson 1...Texts", "Lesson 2...Texts"...and that's it! The rest is in Irish, and I've listened to them several times for comprehension practice. They are professionally done and worth checking out. I plan on buying the newer version with CDs ASAP just so I can put them on my iPod.

The níl was a typo, but Learning Irish gives daughter as inín...I suspect that it's a regional diffrence as the book only focuses on one very particular dialect. I've noticed several other differences between some of the vocab in this course and that found in Buntús Cainte, for example. Go raibh maith 'ad for reading it though! I hope I can compose longer paragraphs in the near future...I'm going to buy an actual physical diary and start writing in Irish every day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4549 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 11 of 72
05 November 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Ah, of course! My mistake. The "o" is left out of iníon to show the last N is slender and
not broad. Same thing with 'amáireach' vs amárach (slender vs broad r). Given that I work
in the education system I tend to stick with the 'standard form', but I would
pronounce these words just as Ó Siadhail has written them (mine being a Connacht
dialect, though not Connamara).

Indíritheach wrote:
Go raibh maith 'ad for reading it though! I hope I can compose longer
paragraphs in the near future...I'm going to buy an actual physical diary and start
writing in Irish every day.

No problem, I'm enjoying your log and look forward to following your progress!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3990 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 12 of 72
06 November 2013 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
SP

Ayer estaba mirando un documental de TG4, un canal de televisión irlandesa, sobre el problema de las zarigüeyas en Australia. Era muy interestante, y buena prática para mis estudios de la lengua irlandesa. Por lo visto, en Melbourne, hay un problema con el número de las zarigüeyas que viven en la ciudad. Hay un grupo de ciudadanos que ha formado para proteger estos animales. Después de ver esto, miré un episodio de Águila roja, mi favorita serie de televisión española. Y antes de acostarme por la noche, leí un poco de Harry Potter y la piedra filosofal. Casi he acabado con este libro, hay que comprar el próximo libro.

IR

Bhí an aimsir go dona inné. Bhí sé dorcha agus bhí báisteach ann. Agus bhí mé tinne agus tuirseach. Ach, mar sin féin, bhí mé sásta mar gheall bhí mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge!

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5544 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 13 of 72
06 November 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
tinn: sore (ill)
tinne: more sore (ill)
If you wanted to say that you were more ill, it would have been (please correct me if I am wrong, I am also a bloody beginner) Do bíos (= Bhí mé) níos tinne.

Edited by Cabaire on 06 November 2013 at 4:22pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3990 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 14 of 72
06 November 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith 'ad, a Chabaire. I meant to say Bhí mé tinn.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4789 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 15 of 72
10 November 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Fáilte!

How do you get along with Learning Irish? I bought it in Dublin in May and tried to work with it for some time, but I am really struggling with Ó Siadhail's approach. I think it's very grammar-heavy and the texts are somewhat unrealistic. To my mind, the vocabulary is often a bit useless for the beginner and the presentation of the grammar is not very didactical. You have to learn all tenses of "bí" and the formation of conditional clauses before you even know the present tense of regular verbs!

On the other hand, there seem to be no real alternatives available. I tried Colloquial Irish, but it's the extreme opposite of Ó Siadhail: very little grammar and more of a phrasebook than a real course. Buntús Cainte and Gaeilge gan Stró seem to be out of print. I'm very much looking forward to the new Living Language course, which will be issued in February. Alternatively, Teach Yourself Irish seems to be quite okay, too.

Anyway, if Learning Irish suits your learning style, I think it's very comprehensive. So, best of luck for your Irish studies!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3990 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 16 of 72
10 November 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Fáilte!

How do you get along with Learning Irish? I bought it in Dublin in May and tried to work with it for some time, but I am really struggling with Ó Siadhail's approach. I think it's very grammar-heavy and the texts are somewhat unrealistic. To my mind, the vocabulary is often a bit useless for the beginner and the presentation of the grammar is not very didactical. You have to learn all tenses of "bí" and the formation of conditional clauses before you even know the present tense of regular verbs!

On the other hand, there seem to be no real alternatives available. I tried Colloquial Irish, but it's the extreme opposite of Ó Siadhail: very little grammar and more of a phrasebook than a real course. Buntús Cainte and Gaeilge gan Stró seem to be out of print. I'm very much looking forward to the new Living Language course, which will be issued in February. Alternatively, Teach Yourself Irish seems to be quite okay, too.

Anyway, if Learning Irish suits your learning style, I think it's very comprehensive. So, best of luck for your Irish studies!

I've been studying Irish for about 5 weeks now and am only on Lesson 14 of Learning Irish. And that's after reviewing the lessons for almost a week last week, because I didn't feel like all of the grammar was sticking. I've had to just memorize the forms of the verb by rote. I'm working with this course under the assumption that it's going to take me a long, long time to master it. You are absolutely right, it is not a conversational course, and that's why I'm supplementing it with Buntús Cainte, which I found in a used book store. I don't really know if I'm a huge fan of having to learn Irish the way Ó Siadhail presents it, I just know I really love the language and I don't mind if my textbooks are a bit dry. But I understand not everyone can learn that way.

I'd recommend Buntús Cainte as a supplement (you can get it at litriocht.com), mainly because I don't know anything about the Teach Yourself book. The audio is crystal clear and all in Irish, and if you do just one lesson a day (I was doing two, but I've had to slow down a bit) I think you'll find yourself speaking Irish more fluidly than trying to learn only from Ó Siadhail's text.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version