Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 17 of 72
10 November 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Well, I had some fun with Irish today. After an hour of study with texts, I watched en episode of Aifric with my daughter and realized I understood parts of the theme song! Very exciting for me. I'm also keeping a diary and trying to speak to my daughter in Irish as much as possible.

I've been trying to not let Spanish dominate during the 6 Week Challenge, but it's difficult because I'm addicted to Águila roja and also because there are just more resources and more chances for me to speak it. Also, I can´t really read anything in Irish yet, so when I'm in the mood to curl up with a book, it's in Spanish.

Edited by Indíritheach on 10 November 2013 at 6:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4698 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 18 of 72
10 November 2013 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
I'd recommend Buntús Cainte as a supplement (you can get it at litriocht.com), mainly because I don't know anything about the Teach Yourself book. The audio is crystal clear and all in Irish, and if you do just one lesson a day (I was doing two, but I've had to slow down a bit) I think you'll find yourself speaking Irish more fluidly than trying to learn only from Ó Siadhail's text.

Thanks for your recommendation!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 19 of 72
10 November 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Indíritheach wrote:
I'd recommend Buntús Cainte as a supplement (you can get it at litriocht.com), mainly because I don't know anything about the Teach Yourself book. The audio is crystal clear and all in Irish, and if you do just one lesson a day (I was doing two, but I've had to slow down a bit) I think you'll find yourself speaking Irish more fluidly than trying to learn only from Ó Siadhail's text.

Tá fáilte romhat, a Josquin!

By the way, I'm curious...I was watching Nuacht TG4 and they had a report from the Scottish Gaelic BBC channel, in Scottish Gaelic with Irish subtitles, which made me curious about Irish's sister language. How have you found learning Scottish Gaelic and Irish? Do they compliment each other well or is there a lot of interference?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4698 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 20 of 72
10 November 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'm only a beginner in Irish and at an intemediate level in Gaelic, so I can't give a definitive answer. But as far as I can tell, there is both complementation and interference. The grammar is very similar although Gaelic is more like a simplified version of Irish. I didn't find it too difficult to learn the differences and keep them apart.

However, the real problem is the vocabulary and pronunciation. It's rather difficult not to mix up Irish and Gaelic words and to observe the subtle differences in pronunciation. Broad and slender consonants in Gaelic work a bit differently from Irish, so it's difficult not to confuse the two systems. Gaelic doesn't really have the on- and off-glides between vowels and consonants and some slender consonants sound a bit different from Irish.

Maybe, liammcg can shed some more light on this as his command of Irish and Scottish Gaelic is much superior to mine.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 21 of 72
13 November 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
So it's been a crazy couple of days...if you include all of the Irish TV I've been watching (Aifric, Ros na Rún, Fíor Sceál), I've been getting in about 2 to 3 hours a day of Irish study for the 6 Week Challenge. I'm on Lesson 15 of Learning Irish and something has happened...either I've crossed some kind of milestone or something, but I've noticed that 1.) When I'm reviewing the pronunciation tape, I only need to run through it once (as opposed to 2 or 3 times) in order to nail the sounds of the vocabulary words) and 2.) I'm understanding the texts with much more ease than I was previously. I credit this to lots and lots of input, because to be honest I'm not sure what else I could have done right! I'm a long way from the goal of fluency, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel...I could really see myself becoming conversational in Irish some day. I'm understanding more and more of what I hear, and I'm able to express more thoughts in Irish.

Spanish is going well...I'm on Unit 22 of FSI and this Friday I will have finished the active wave of Assimil. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Assimil just yet...I think I'll be refering back to that wonderful little book for a long time to come. But in order to celebrate, I'm thinking of ordering a copy of Assimil El Francés. I really want to have at least a solid footing in French before I turn 30 next August.

That's all for now!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5245 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 22 of 72
13 November 2013 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
After just doing (and bombing) the translation exercises of Lesson 6 and having to look
up everything in the text in order to understand it, this is really good to hear!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 23 of 72
13 November 2013 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
After just doing (and bombing) the translation exercises of Lesson 6 and having to look
up everything in the text in order to understand it, this is really good to hear!

Oh yeah, the one about Baile Átha Cliath. Well, all I can say is at least it's a dialogue. Because if I remember correctly, Lesson 7 starts talking about farms. And sheep. And cows. So yeah.

But it'll get better...this is a tough book! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one slogging through it.

Edited by Indíritheach on 13 November 2013 at 12:48pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4458 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 

Message 24 of 72
14 November 2013 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
Josquin wrote:
Indíritheach wrote:
I'd recommend Buntús
Cainte
as a supplement (you can get it at litriocht.com), mainly because I don't
know anything about the Teach Yourself book. The audio is crystal clear and all in
Irish, and if you do just one lesson a day (I was doing two, but I've had to slow down
a bit) I think you'll find yourself speaking Irish more fluidly than trying to learn
only from Ó Siadhail's text.

Tá fáilte romhat, a Josquin!

By the way, I'm curious...I was watching Nuacht TG4 and they had a report from the
Scottish Gaelic BBC channel, in Scottish Gaelic with Irish subtitles, which made me
curious about Irish's sister language. How have you found learning Scottish Gaelic and
Irish? Do they compliment each other well or is there a lot of interference?

Well, I haven't experienced too much interference thus far, but Irish is solidly rooted
in brain from years of learning. I'd expect much greater interference if learning
simultaneously.

The two are much closer in writing than pronunciation, especially when you consider how
Irish was written before the spelling reform of the 1940's. E.g.

Mod Irish: saol
Pre-reform: saoghal
Scottish Gaelic: saoghal

Edited by liammcg on 14 November 2013 at 12:46am

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version