Joined 5245 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 41 of 72
20 December 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
The hardest part is vocabulary...it's so alien and you have to
memorize the plural forms with the singular, something I am not accustomed to. I also
have trouble with some of the tenses of the 'tá' verb, using the copula correctly, and
a few other odds and ends. The possive adjectives drive me nuts too, and the emphatic
forms. It's getting better though, I just wish the forms used in Learning Irish
and Teach Yourself Irish Grammar weren't so different. But I have noticed that
lately when I work on the translation exercises from Ó Siadhail's text I'm less
stressed and the answers are coming much easier, so maybe there is hope after all.

This is exactly why I'm trying to apply principles I learned from Language Hunters to
Learning Irish (hoping to hear from the Irish language consultant soon). I can
definitely say that Learning Irish is DENSE. Each lesson can be broken up into quite a
few mini lessons that we should work intensely on to fluency. For example, playing
their game had us working on Tá and Is (and a little bit of Bíonn) and question forms
through all persons for a total of about 12 hours. The next round would have been going
through it all in past tense and so on. So when you compare that to Lesson 7, for
example, where all the remaining forms of Bí are just thrown out there followed by
conditional statements, you can see why it's so hard to master all of it at once (we
could have probably spent an entire week's session on that lesson alone).

They also favor simplifying vocabulary as well and focusing almost exclusively on
structure first which is also different. I've had quite a bit of trouble retaining all
the vocabulary as well. I have to constantly remind myself to allow myself to just look
up certain words whenever they occur rather than putting effort into them (such as the
agricultural terms) and focus on the more important stuff, such as adverbs of
frequency. I'm hoping to devise a way to gamify the vocabulary as well.

Despite all that, I feel like I do manage to not bomb the translation exercises. But as
is I'm definitely not mastering the material.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 42 of 72
20 December 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
@sctroyenne: Tá ceart agat, cinnte. That book is so dense, I've never quite seen anything like it. If it takes 1100 hours to reach a near-C1 level of Irish, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of my time will be spent with Ó Siadhail's text.

So this morning I got in 2 hours of study, 1 hour 30 minutes with Learning Irish and 30 minutes of nuaíocht. I also made a decision...my next language will be German. I found Barron's Mastering German with CDs for $20 and couldn't resist, so I definitely have something to look forward to after I get to my 200 hour goal in Irish...I can't wait! I feel like a child waiting for Christmas. I figure I can do Portuguese after German, since there are far more resources for the latter.

So I'm at (127h30/200)
Learning Irish (21/36)

Edited by Indíritheach on 21 December 2013 at 2:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 43 of 72
21 December 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
Got in an hour this morning, so that brings me to (129h/200h), and I'm almost "done" with Lesson 21 of Learning Irish

Edited by Indíritheach on 22 December 2013 at 4:27pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 44 of 72
22 December 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Went bar hopping last night, so I only got in about 1 hour 30 minutes of study time today. Good news is that Lesson 21 is not all that hard, it focuses on the future tense of verbs and I feel like I understood most of it.

So that makes (130h30/200h)

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 45 of 72
24 December 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
I started Lesson 22 of Learning Irish today, with Christmas Eve coming up I'll be lucky to get in 2 to 3 hours of study per day but I'm plugging right along. At 133/200h for now.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 46 of 72
26 December 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
IR

(136h/200h) for now, still finishing up Lesson 22, the lessons are getting rather dense as time goes on. Lesson 22 is an introduction to the past habitual of the verb, and I totally bombed part of the exercises, all for not paying closer attention!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 47 of 72
27 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
IR

FINALLY finished Lesson 22, started on Lesson 23 of Ó Siadhail. That puts me at (140h/200h). These lessons are getting much longer and tougher, although Lesson 23 seems a bit shorter than the previous two. It's an introduction to the present habitual tense of the verb. I felt like I was about to pull my hair out on that last lesson, maybe this one will go more smoothly.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 48 of 72
28 December 2013 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
SP

Después de una pausa, he empezado mirar una otra serie, Desaparecida, por Hulu Latino. Al principio, no me gustaba mucho, pero ahora soy adicto. Además, estoy tratando hacer algo en español cada día.

IR

Wow, I think I might be getting a wee bit burned out...sometimes I look at Learning Irish and just want to run out of the room screaming. I'm at the end of Lesson 23, and after this lesson I'm going to go back and review previous lessons...this stuff just isn't sticking very well. On the plus side, I've been managing about 2 hours of study per day, so I'm inching closer to my goal!

(142h/200)

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version