Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 57 of 72
16 January 2014 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
I got in another 1 hour of study with Teach Yourself Irish Grammar, 30 minutes of listening to Raidió na Gaeltachta, and 30 minutes of watching C.U. Burn, so that gives me 184/200.
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6763 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 72
16 January 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
I find this thread and your commitment to Irish very inspiring. 184/200 is not bad. In fact, it's better than my stats!

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 59 of 72
16 January 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Go raibh maith agat a Jeff! I'm actually at 184h30 now, and 30 minutes of French since Assimil arrived. I couldn't help myself...I sort of feel guilty, but no matter what I'm going to wind up reaching my goal in Irish. So today, I finished Lesson 26 of Learning Irish and I did Leçon 1 of Assimil New French With Ease. I'm not sure what's "new" about this edition, but it looks a lot like Spanish With Ease, so I think I'm really going to enjoy it! I'm going to try to get as much French practice in as possible...speaking with my ex, watching TV and radio, and dubbed movies! It seems like every one of my favorite movies is dubbed in French! So to recap:

Irish: 186/1100
French: 1/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 17 January 2014 at 2:00am

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 60 of 72
22 January 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Okay, so time for an update.

Spanish

Since Spanish is in maintainance mode, I've decided to make a simple goal of 1.) Doing SOMETHING in Spanish for at least 30 minutes every day (reading Harry Potter y la cámara secreta, watching the news or TV series) and 2.) Talking and texting in Spanish as much as possible. Not too much to report on here.

Irish

Starting Lesson 28 of Learning Irish, which covers six out of the eleven irregular verbs in Irish. I spent half an hour of my 1 hour and 30 minutes of Irish study programming Anki cards...I have got to get better about reviewing these. Understanding the spoken and written language is still improving nicely, although I need to force myself to practice speaking it more. I've also been working a little bit through Irish For Beginners for basic conversation topics to use when I'm speaking/teaching my daughter. I'll post a longer grammatical rant later.

French

And finally, French! Where have you been all my life? I used to hate, hate, hate this language...I didn't like the way it sounded or looked, and I had no interest in learning it whatsoever. Now, I find it really soothing to listen to, and it's really fun to speak...producing all of those weird sounds is really cool! I've been watching a lot of French dubs of my favorite TV shows like The Simpsons andFamily Guy, and I've started watching original French cinema. La faute à Fidel is now my new favorite movie of all time, right up there with Cría cuervos. I've been trying to keep it simple and follow the success I had with Spanish...one Assimil lesson per day, and as much exposure to the language as possible. After New French With Ease, it's on to Using French and then probably FSI.

Irish 194h30/1100
French 10h30/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 22 January 2014 at 4:13pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 61 of 72
25 January 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Quick update:

Irish

On Lesson 29 of Learning Irish. I can't believe the end is in sight...it went by so fast. Of course, by "the end" I mean "the end of the book"...it's going to be a very long time before I'm finished mastering everything in this dense little book. After this lesson I'm going to go back and review Lessons 22-28 before I continue. So far I've covered all 11 of the irregular verbs in Irish (Only eleven! That's one thing Irish has over Spanish!).

French

Day 10 of Assimil. This course rocks...it's such a pleasure to learn with Assimil, and I have a new favorite French film, Jeux interdits. I've watched it twice and it really is a masterpiece. I'm also watching dubs of my favorite TV shows in French and trying to practice what little I can with friends.

Spanish

I'm on chapter 10 of Harry Potter y la cámara secreta, and still trying to speak Spanish everyday.

Irish 204/1100

French 16/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 25 January 2014 at 3:59pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 62 of 72
26 January 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Irish

Finishing up Lesson 29 of Learning Irish and then I'll start reviewing for a week or two before moving on. I've got to get more comfortable with these verb tenses, and also there's a few prepositions that I'm not using correctly. Also going back through Buntús Cainte for fun.

French

Day 11 of Assimil, still love it...has the same sense of humor as Assimil Spanish With Ease. Also started watching Game of Thrones in French last night.

Irish 211h30/1100

French21/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 29 January 2014 at 1:09pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 63 of 72
30 January 2014 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
Zut! I woke up late today and only had time for my Assimil lesson (15) and about 30 minutes of reviewing Lesson 21 in Learning Irish. Looks like I'll have to hit the books during my lunch break...and the February 6 Week Challenge starts tomorrow!

Irish
221h30/1100

French
32h30/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 05 February 2014 at 1:00pm

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3899 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 

Message 64 of 72
06 February 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Irish

Still plugging along for the 6 Week Challenge...I've been re-reading Lessons 22-30 in Learning Irish, trying to get all the verb tenses down. What throws me off is the spelling...it's hard to remember that there's an f here or a dh there if they aren't pronounced! In fact, I noticed yesterday while I was writing in my journal that I know the vocabulary, but I just don't know how to spell it! I guess it just comes with practice. I've also been trying to work on my pronunciation as much as possible, it's a tough accent to nail down.

French

I'm on Lesson 22 of Assimil, I still love it. It's such a pleasure to work through every morning. I'm still trying to watch dubs of shows like Game of Thrones and The Simpsons whenever I can, and also I'm enjoying watching original French cinema. I also found a used copy of Pronounce it Perfectly in French which is helping me with some of the more difficult sounds.

Spanish

Nothing new here...just watching as much TV, speaking as much as possible, and reading Harry Potter.

Irish
235h30/1100

French
42/600

Edited by Indíritheach on 12 February 2014 at 2:17am

This discussion contains 72 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version