Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4763 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 25 of 60
28 April 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
It's nice to see another success story with FSI. How do you use it? Just with the
audio, or audio + the text? I was using FSI a lot last summer, got through Unit 6, and
then put it aside for a while. Last week I started working on Unit 7, which is very
long and more difficult than previous lessons. Except the lesson with all the
numbers... that was a real pain in the tongue. Now that I'm finishing with Assimil, I
might spend more time with FSI.

I agree with you that Le Petit Nicolas is difficult from time to time. He occasionally
uses unusual idioms that even confuse native speakers, judging from discussions on
French forums I have found while looking for help with some sentences. But it is still
really easy to follow what's going on, and the stories are amusing enough that I
consider them "light" reading.

Since you use a lot of native material, are you signing up for a Super Challenge?
2 persons have voted this message useful

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 26 of 60
28 April 2014 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Unless I'm really struggling with it(5 or 6 times to date), I do audio-only, mostly on a
walk to go get lunch, doing housework, or exercising. Even though the topics are beyond
boring, I do like how they pick apart the dialogue and practice swapping minimal pairs of
grammar and pronunciation. Even straight repetition of things I understand 100%
spotlights pronunciation problems.

I wasn't really familiar with the Super Challenge, but after reading up a bit, I'm a big
chicken and I usually don't have any motivational problems with Spanish, the only
language I'd consider doing for the Super. Maybe if there's something similar in the
fall. Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 27 of 60
28 April 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Wow, after reading a bit, the Super Challenge does seem doable. 5000 pages, 150 hours of
movies/tv/podcasts over 20 months. I'll do some more reading from the last super, but
that seems like just enough to keep me on track without crowding out my non-super
languages. Your Super Challenge evangelism might have just gotten another convert.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 28 of 60
30 April 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
So I'm in, Full Super for Spanish and a half for French. I'm set for material in Spanish,
but I might end up using French to catch up on the classics, whether in translation or
not.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 29 of 60
05 May 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Spanish
First week of the Super Challenge, read first 50 pages of Breve Historia de la
Revolucion Francesa, notably hardly than the other titles in the series, though it
might just be a bunch vocabulary areas that I've been missing. Finished Jorge, quite
entertaining, currently checking out a couple other Malena Pichot series, Cualca is
entertaining but too short. Really enjoying Diana Uribe's History of France. I recall
starting this a long time ago and having a bit of trouble, but it's really entertaining
now: shes's got a lot of personality and a passion for history. Plus it's 40 45-minute
episodes just for France, and she's got a series on lots of other countries.
Mandarin Just about done with Assimil, 101 of 105. I might go back through the
whole thing in an active wave after I get back from France, thinking about starting
FSI then, too.
French FSI 9.7, boy is this rough. The idea is object pronoun order, but add in
passe compose, on, en/y/les/le/la/leur/lui, negation, question word order, and liasons,
and I just don't have time to sort it all out in time. I'll just have to re-do this a
couple times and then come back to it periodically. Re-reading Le Petit Prince, ordered
my bilingual Madame Bovary, trying to finish FSI unit 12 in three weeks.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 30 of 60
14 May 2014 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Spanish Loving the Super Challenge on this, plowing through Diana Uribe's History
of France, got about 100 pages of French History and 50 pages of the Llosa read this
week. Probably gonna back off on the Spanish a bit for the next couple weeks.
Mandarin On hold until I get back from France in June. Keeping my memrise stuff
watered(which is always more of a pain than I expect). Tried finishing off Assimil, but
wasn't 100% comfortable with the last couple lessons to move on.
French FSI 10.3, got a lot more out of Le Petit Prince this time. Read Le Petit
Nicolas, started Harry Potter et la chambre des secrets, a book I started in Spanish and
put down for an Isabel Allenda YA book. Casting a wider net for podcasts, probably spent
too long comparing everything back to Spanish podcasts. Watched several Buffy episodes,
season 2 is almost done. Finished Objectif Lune, Started On a marche su la lune.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 31 of 60
28 May 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Spanish Almost entirely on hold since my last update, listened to some favorite
podcasts, read blogs and articles, keeping my memrise stuff from piling up. Can't wait
to get back into the groove of speaking, I have a feeling it's going to be a bit
rustier than I remembered.
Mandarin Same as before, but strongly considering signing up for italki's world
cup challenge or whatever for Mandarin, 25 hours of tutoring in 2 months. It's exactly
the kind of commitment that would keep me motivated and learning, but pricey any way
you look at it. Other downside, it starts on the 1st and I won't be able to take any
lessons until at least the 7th.
French Leaving for Paris on Thursday night, not stressing out too much about
cramming every last bit of French into my brain before I go. As a tourist, I think I'll
be more than fine in getting around and understanding everything, I'd rate myself at a
B1, maybe high B1, but we'll see when I get back. It's been a fun experience getting
here and I believe I've gotten over the beginner/non-native materials hump.

Finished duolingo's skill tree, currently on FSI 11.4 with lots of repeats, got one
last session with a tutor tomorrow morning to work on some tourist vocabulary and
phrases that I've always found too boring to study. Podcasts have become markedly
easier, thanks to the Super Challenge. About 65% done with Harry Potter 2, might finish
it on the flight back.

evilado
Diglot
Groupie
Joined 3860 days ago

64 posts - 82 votes 

Message 32 of 60
10 June 2014 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm back from a week in Paris, and while I can say that my French was mostly
unnecessary(just about everyone in the service industry had a much better command of
English than my French), I had a great time and feel like the conversations and
observations I did have were greatly enhanced by what French I did know. Especially in
restaurants, reading the menu and staying in French throughout the meal was convenient.
I also spent a fair amount of time watching French television back at the hotel(my
mother is not much of a night owl), and I didn't have many problems understanding the
news or sports commentary. I have a ton a memrise to catch up on and haven't updated my
Super Challenge twitter feed much at all, but with the jet lag and a nasty cold I
caught on the way back, it's been a little difficult to get back into a solid routine.
Otherwise, I'm back with a renewed enthusiasm for French(which was waning a bit before
the trip, to be honest), and ready for some new challenges and materials.

Spanish Finished the Mario Vargas Llosa book, quite proud of myself there. I
really enjoyed his writing and it was particularly valuable when viewing Gauguin's
works in the Musee d'Orsay. I've never quite understood the popularity of Spanish
language historical fiction, but both Gauguin and his grandmother Flora Tristán feel
like real human beings to me, rather than rarefied historical figures. I´ll definitely
read more Llosa in the future, but I think I´ll tackle a few shorter works by other
authors first. Diana Uribe´s series on French history has been a fascinating podcast
that I´m nearly finished with. And I ended up speaking a little Spanish in Paris, which
is always a rewarding experience with fellow tourists.

Mandarin Now that my French vacation is complete, I think it´s finally time to
seriously take up mandarin. I haven´t decided on my method or path forward yet, but it
will involve something like chinesepod, lots of TDramas, and probably FSI Chinese.

French Finished Harry Potter 2, started Harry potter 3. Watched Truffaut´s La
Peau Douce, listened to dozens of podcasts, plan on watching lots of Buffy and reading
progressively more advanced works. Ideally I´d continue with FSI, but I´m not sure I
have the motivation. It´s too hot to walk to lunch, so I´ll have to find another block
of time to incorporate it into my routine. On the plus side, my italki tutor gave me
plenty of book recommendations for my level.

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version