Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 105
29 December 2011 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
jae wrote:
Looking forward to reading your log. I read "Das Parfum" 2 years ago -- comes highly recommended, but it's a very odd book -- will be interesting to see what you think :) Good luck! Viel Glück! (auch wenn deutsch Dir nicht so viel gefällt ;) ).

Thank you!

Yes I've heard that the main character doesn't have a smell... Seems surrealistic.

Will post a "review"/ opinion when I finish a book. (So also about Das Parfum).

Und vielleicht wird Deutsch mir mehr gefallen wenn ich besser in es wird.

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5899 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 105
30 December 2011 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Hi ReQuest,

I will be following your log with interest. Good luck with your studies!   

ReQuest wrote:
I have English in school, will be reading 3 Victiorian novels this year (just started in Oliver Twist) ...

I am a big fan of Dickens and the intricate way he crafts sentences. What other Victorian novels do you anticipate working through this year?   Keeping my fingers crossed for you - there were some amazing novels from that period, but also some really dreary ones (personal view only, of course, but yeah...) that seem to regularly make it onto English literature course reading lists over here.

Edited by Spanky on 30 December 2011 at 7:45pm

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 11 of 105
30 December 2011 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
Hi ReQuest,

I will be following your log with interest. Good luck with your studies!   

ReQuest wrote:
I have English in school, will be reading 3 Victiorian novels this year (just started in Oliver Twist) ...

What other Victorian novels do you anticipate working through this year?

I wasn't totally free to chose but anyway here's my list:
The Invisible Man - H.G. Wells
The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde
Olives Twist - Charles Dickens

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5899 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 12 of 105
31 December 2011 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Good choices!

Edited by Spanky on 31 December 2011 at 2:45am

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 13 of 105
03 January 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
well I survived New Year (New Year's?).
But it wasn't very good for studying (like that matters...) I came home really late (or early, the birds were already singing).
So the next day wasn't a study day either, but yesterday was a good day, I finished Oliver Twist and watched the film too. (There are some major differences there).
Well I'll do a little review thing now, and a bit structured for once.

Comprehension
Ok, the comprehension was sufficient , the narrator was the hardest to understand, I had to look up a big lot of words, but I handled it. I could follow almost all the conversations in the book.

The Story
It's funny that in the past this story must have been really shocking, expessially for the rich clas, that something like that existed in their beloved England, I do think Dickens is a bit biased, he has so many critics and it's a novel so it's probably romantised, but still I guess it got those rich people back then really thinking, "should we really put money in a workhouse, their just starving the poor till they perish of hunger."

I really liked the style, and the plot was pretty surprising, and have I yelled at Nancy, how stupid she was, she could escape the misery but no, ofcourse not, in love...

I sometimes had to laugh about the use of gay, queer and ecstasy.

Film vs. Book
Ok first I thought, wow this follows the book directly, even the coversation are the same, but then the robbery takes place which is at Brunlow's house and not Rose's, Oliver goes back with the robbers after the robbery, so no doctor, no Rose etc. Nancy goes to mister Brunlow and not to Rose to save Oliver, the whole , "hey I'm Olivers half brother and I want to erease him from the world"-episode was missing, so no "Rose is my aunt!:0?" Either. Sikes and Fagin did die in the same fashion though. Conclusion: strange movie.

ok that's the book, almost done restructuring my anki decks, I also decided not to keep track of how many hours I study languages because I not structured at all...

Yeah , and the radom question of the week:
What does the prefix con-/com- mean?

Edit: Allways them nasty typoos :@

Edited by ReQuest on 03 January 2012 at 1:31pm

acriter
United States
Joined 5296 days ago

16 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, French

Message 14 of 105
04 January 2012 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Hey ReQuest,

Thought I'd stop by as a prospective member of team Freutsch, and I can't resist an
opportunity to interject some of my rapidly decaying Latin knowledge from high school.

con-/com- both come from the Latin word 'cum', meaning (as you likely know) 'with'. By
extension it can add a context of 'together'. For words like 'convocation',
'community', 'collaborate' (the m can turn into an l or r also) it makes some sense.

It likely has another connotations, too. The Internet seems to think it can simply
intensify the meaning of a word.

Ich habe übrigens in deinem Text einen Rechtschreibfehler gefunden: 'expessially' statt
'especially'. Die anderen Fehler waren kleiner :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 15 of 105
04 January 2012 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Danke für deine Hilfe!

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 16 of 105
06 January 2012 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Ok well, there's a song lyric that says: "...These are sonme of my favourite things, but doing nothing is my favourite one.

And that certainly applies to this week, I did finish Oliver Twist though, but haven't started Das Parfum yet... And well I did do some shadowing, a little Assimil and rescheduling Anki, so no complains, I also had to do a lot for school "test-week"/toetsweek so
Yeah I'm pretty content with this week (I'm happy pretty fast) .

Ich hoffe dass ich dieses Wochenende in das Pafum anfangen kann, und ja, diese Woche hab ich nur ein bisschen Deutsch fern gesehen, (gefernseht?).
Und für eine Prüfung gelernt für die Schule (avoiding "de 2de naamval" here, never bothered learning the Latin names for the cases.)

Et pour français j'ai fait le shadowing, ça c'est vraiment une découvrage, en plus j'ai ressuscité mon Nintendo DS et j'étais commencer de jouer "Phoenix Wright" en français (und es gibt auch eine Deutsche Übersetzung!, Quelle chance!). Phoenix Wright c'est un peu comme une roman détective mais en DS. J'ai aussi vu la télé, donc une bonne semaine pour français. Using French leçon 8 (soixante-dixième leçon en total). Une jour je voudrai faire une enregistrement de moi qui lu 1 ou 2 des ces leçons.

Anche non vado a Italia questa estate :(
Vorrei con I miei amici, però non vado. Ma penso che vado a continuare con l'italiano, je l'aime. (cheated a tiny bit here, looked up some words)

Thats brings me to dabbeling, I've done some Italian, Spanish and even a little Japanese this week :),it's a pity I can't really study those languages because off school... (uit de hand gelopen) hobby....)

Btw does anybody some good French/German television shows? Tried to watch Pekin express but failed, I mainly like documentaries about history and travelprograms. I also like a bunch off other stuff, so just post them links....

Let's hope I didn't made as much typos this time... I cleaned up swype, It constantly kept showing Dutch words (Swype clearly isn't made for language lovers...)

One more questions, could someone explains the ' use in English, I keep using it for plurals.... I even spelled program's at first...

This discussion contains 105 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version