Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 105
05 March 2012 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Last 2 weeks: Dabbeling

I've have actually dabbled quite alot these past 2 weeks, I suddenly felt so Russian/Japanese that I just had to...

So in my 1 week vacation I've done pimsleur Japanese and Russian Michel Thomas, I don't know if I will continue, timewise it's quite hard, but I liked it, it was nice for a change.

Also I did some using French again, but I mostly expossed myself to native materials in German and French.

And I'm almost finished with The Invisible Man.

Together with my schoolwork and Social live it was a pretty busy vacation but ok.

The next 3 weeks will be a lot less productive, languagewise, while I will have lots and lots of schoolwork.

Also I have send a letter to Germany for a small 3 days exchange (everyone in school does). There are actually Germans coming to us to learn Dutch, and we to them to learn German.

I don't really know if I will like it, I want to go to Germany but I don't really like to have strangers in my house, so...
1 person has voted this message useful

Adrean
TAC 2010 Winner
France
adrean83.wordpress.c
Joined 6111 days ago

348 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: FrenchC1

Message 42 of 105
09 March 2012 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
You have German students coming to your house ? Some of us will be licking our lips at
that kind of exposure. Make the most of it!

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 43 of 105
10 March 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
Yeah I will, but it's still a little bit sensitive here, we don't have anything against Germans but we do.... Can't explain it really.

But it will be good experience I'm sure.
And I don't have anything against (like everyone here)

Edited by ReQuest on 10 March 2012 at 10:59am

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 44 of 105
10 March 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Je viens de regarder le film bon cop bad cop, c'est un film canadien en l'anglais et le français mais le français canadien et moi avec mon français de la France trouvais ça très difficile.

Mais je peux vous recommende de voir ce film! C'est vraiment drôle!

Ya quelqu'un qui a les conseils sur le français du Canada?

FELlX
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4713 days ago

94 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 45 of 105
11 March 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
There's a couple of articles on Wikipedia which you might find of interest:

Quebec French
Quebec French lexicon

It can be hard for Parisians (like me), among others, who aren't much exposed to it. The biggest barrier is the difference of vocabulary - other than that I believe the differences of pronunciation aren't a big problem for me, at least for the "general" Quebec accent.

For example, I only know a few words from the Quebec French lexicon (which I linked above).
4 persons have voted this message useful

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 46 of 105
16 March 2012 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
I really have to decide if I want to sound British or American.

I've always, (and still) been taught British English, but my teacher said I have a American sound to it.

I love non-rhotic accents, so British would work, I'm european, so. And the pronounciation is so typical, so pure.

But sometimes I feel like American English is more clear, "fresher", and there is so much media, and I love the way southerners speak, and I'm alot more accustomed to words like movie, trunk and gasoline...

Edited by ReQuest on 16 March 2012 at 7:39am

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 47 of 105
18 March 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to go for British, yeah... Not RP though , a bit more friendly form. I've found this one: Estuary English which really sounds good to me.

Then a question: in English you have alot of words like: too, also, as well, either. Are they interchangeable or are there rules when to use which?

ReQuest
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 4975 days ago

200 posts - 228 votes 

Message 48 of 105
20 March 2012 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Ok I heard the Boston accent today, and it's actually alot closer to how I sound now (I think, atleast) it really sounds cool to, I don't know, maybe I shouldn't care but, I just love perfect pronounciation.

This discussion contains 105 messages over 14 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version